"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Weight gain ggrrrr

has anyone found a way to lose weight without starving .
i hate my emerging buddha belly ,but i do love my food.
in fact there is,nt a calorie i dont like.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I have always hated the word "Diet", lol that is when I crave food Iam not even crazy about. Now that Iam older I snack very seldom, and only eat till satisfied not full. I just try to eat less, not excluding anything if I really want it. I tend to carry all my weight in my middle too ! Bummer huh ! (sorry no tush here nor hips )

Old 04-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
you need 3 meals a day at regular times, and plenty excersize.
watch the calories in each meal though, aim for a little under 2000 cals a day.
and allow yourself the occasional treat.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L.
I have always hated the word "Diet", lol that is when I crave food Iam not even crazy about. Now that Iam older I snack very seldom, and only eat till satisfied not full. I just try to eat less, not excluding anything if I really want it. I tend to carry all my weight in my middle too ! Bummer huh ! (sorry no tush here nor hips )
Excellent advice here.

Drink plenty of water, for me, this depresses my appetite.

Eat smaller portions of everything at each meal.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
Head Chef

My life's work, lol. I'm on a long hard slog, I can tell you things I find useful?

I try only to eat when sitting down (including planned meals AND planned snacks) preferably somewhere designed for eating (never car or sofa!). As an absolute minimum I drink one glass of water an hour every hour I'm awake. So, for exaple, Say I wake up and have a glass of water at seven, and notice at eight I haven't had another glass of wtaer within that hour I have glass then and there, same through =out day. Using a small plate well filled when your hungry is a good mind trick, and leave a little of everything you serve yourself (ie of each thing on your plate). Choose your food sensibly. Its so cliched we forget it works, but processed white toast DOES fill you up as much as wholemeal at the time....its two hours later you notice the difference.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Hungry?

Someone made the comment that she only eats when hungry. Not 3 meals but small ones. How can someone eat when they want if they have others to feed? She does exercise and does not eat anything she figures will add more calories. AND she eats lots of oatmeal. I think oatmeal is only safe food around. But look at all the cereals on the shelves. Do companies do this to confuse us?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Someone made the comment that she only eats when hungry. Not 3 meals but small ones. How can someone eat when they want if they have others to feed? She does exercise and does not eat anything she figures will add more calories. AND she eats lots of oatmeal. I think oatmeal is only safe food around. But look at all the cereals on the shelves. Do companies do this to confuse us?
I am quite used now to having a drink with DH when he comes home late and eats. I try and wait for him, but if he's working til 11 and I'm hungry I'd rather eat my supper than get ravenous or eat a filler. He understands. Its common to fed children midweek before parents. I think its an acceptable comprimise.

Oatmeal is porridge right? If so ceral companies should be ignores, just buy pats. Oats are very often my failsafe too.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
you need 3 meals a day at regular times, and plenty excersize.
watch the calories in each meal though, aim for a little under 2000 cals a day.
and allow yourself the occasional treat.
Herein lies the secret. Excellent comments YT

It is not rocket science. If you eat 2200 calories and burn 2000 you will gain weight. If you eat 2200 calories and burn 2400 then you lose. It is that simple. Daily exercise is beneficial on many levels. Weight loss is one of them.
Obviously if you have heath issues; heart disease, diabetes, etc you must follow the guidelines set forth by your physician as to diet and exercise.Also check with your physcian before starting any rigorous exercise program.

Dr Bob

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
If you're on a well-established excersize regimen my favorite are the Atkins style diets, but even those aren't useful unless you take the above posts into account. You need to burn more calories than you ingest, and that's the bottom line, no matter what diet/excersize plan you try out. I like Atkins-style diets a lot because the quick weight drop in the beginning is a big confidence booster, and I think it only realy works well when it supplements a solid excersize plan. This sort of encourages to people to get excersizing regularly, which really is the healthiest way to lose weight. Atkins-style diets are a good supplemant or accelerant, like I said, but the long-term effects are still a bit shady depending on the studies you read. Talk to your physician and he can probably set you up with a plan or get you in touch with someone who can.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Diet is the wrong word when referring to fad diets. it is a lifestyle change. As stated, caloric intake is key. Also having a "treat" is key, if you don't reward yourself, or partake in a craving, the next time you get it, you can go crazy and over do it. Exercise and healthy eating habits are the core to a successful "diet". If I want to eat something I normally wouldn't, or have a few extra drinks on a night out, I make up for it in the gym. Everything in moderation, cut and dry.

The fad diets might work great, in the short term, but can do more harm then good in the long run. Atkins is dead, and so is the diet really. De- pleating the body of carbs can be very negative to your well being. It makes the body go into ketosis, replacing keloids for fuel, instead of carbs, and can result in high ph in your blood. Sure it burns off the fat reserves you have, but so does starving yourself, and neither is healthy or ideal.