Weight gain ggrrrr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chami

Assistant Cook
has anyone found a way to lose weight without starving .
i hate my emerging buddha belly:mad: ,but i do love my food.
in fact there is,nt a calorie i dont like.:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I have always hated the word "Diet", lol that is when I crave food Iam not even crazy about. Now that Iam older I snack very seldom, and only eat till satisfied not full. I just try to eat less, not excluding anything if I really want it. I tend to carry all my weight in my middle too ! Bummer huh ! (sorry no tush here :(nor hips :))

you need 3 meals a day at regular times, and plenty excersize.
watch the calories in each meal though, aim for a little under 2000 cals a day.
and allow yourself the occasional treat.

Barb L. said:
I have always hated the word "Diet", lol that is when I crave food Iam not even crazy about. Now that Iam older I snack very seldom, and only eat till satisfied not full. I just try to eat less, not excluding anything if I really want it. I tend to carry all my weight in my middle too ! Bummer huh ! (sorry no tush here :(nor hips :))

Excellent advice here.

Drink plenty of water, for me, this depresses my appetite.

Eat smaller portions of everything at each meal.

My life's work, lol. I'm on a long hard slog, I can tell you things I find useful?

I try only to eat when sitting down (including planned meals AND planned snacks) preferably somewhere designed for eating (never car or sofa!). As an absolute minimum I drink one glass of water an hour every hour I'm awake. So, for exaple, Say I wake up and have a glass of water at seven, and notice at eight I haven't had another glass of wtaer within that hour I have glass then and there, same through =out day. Using a small plate well filled when your hungry is a good mind trick, and leave a little of everything you serve yourself (ie of each thing on your plate). Choose your food sensibly. Its so cliched we forget it works, but processed white toast DOES fill you up as much as wholemeal at the time....its two hours later you notice the difference.

Hungry?

Someone made the comment that she only eats when hungry. Not 3 meals but small ones. How can someone eat when they want if they have others to feed? She does exercise and does not eat anything she figures will add more calories. AND she eats lots of oatmeal. I think oatmeal is only safe food around. But look at all the cereals on the shelves. Do companies do this to confuse us?

In the Kitchen said:
Someone made the comment that she only eats when hungry. Not 3 meals but small ones. How can someone eat when they want if they have others to feed? She does exercise and does not eat anything she figures will add more calories. AND she eats lots of oatmeal. I think oatmeal is only safe food around. But look at all the cereals on the shelves. Do companies do this to confuse us?

I am quite used now to having a drink with DH when he comes home late and eats. I try and wait for him, but if he's working til 11 and I'm hungry I'd rather eat my supper than get ravenous or eat a filler. He understands. Its common to fed children midweek before parents. I think its an acceptable comprimise.

Oatmeal is porridge right? If so ceral companies should be ignores, just buy pats. Oats are very often my failsafe too.

YT2095 said:
you need 3 meals a day at regular times, and plenty excersize.
watch the calories in each meal though, aim for a little under 2000 cals a day.
and allow yourself the occasional treat.

Herein lies the secret. Excellent comments YT

It is not rocket science. If you eat 2200 calories and burn 2000 you will gain weight. If you eat 2200 calories and burn 2400 then you lose. It is that simple. Daily exercise is beneficial on many levels. Weight loss is one of them.
Obviously if you have heath issues; heart disease, diabetes, etc you must follow the guidelines set forth by your physician as to diet and exercise.Also check with your physcian before starting any rigorous exercise program.

Dr Bob:ermm:

If you're on a well-established excersize regimen my favorite are the Atkins style diets, but even those aren't useful unless you take the above posts into account. You need to burn more calories than you ingest, and that's the bottom line, no matter what diet/excersize plan you try out. I like Atkins-style diets a lot because the quick weight drop in the beginning is a big confidence booster, and I think it only realy works well when it supplements a solid excersize plan. This sort of encourages to people to get excersizing regularly, which really is the healthiest way to lose weight. Atkins-style diets are a good supplemant or accelerant, like I said, but the long-term effects are still a bit shady depending on the studies you read. Talk to your physician and he can probably set you up with a plan or get you in touch with someone who can.

Diet is the wrong word when referring to fad diets. it is a lifestyle change. As stated, caloric intake is key. Also having a "treat" is key, if you don't reward yourself, or partake in a craving, the next time you get it, you can go crazy and over do it. Exercise and healthy eating habits are the core to a successful "diet". If I want to eat something I normally wouldn't, or have a few extra drinks on a night out, I make up for it in the gym. Everything in moderation, cut and dry.

The fad diets might work great, in the short term, but can do more harm then good in the long run. Atkins is dead, and so is the diet really. De- pleating the body of carbs can be very negative to your well being. It makes the body go into ketosis, replacing keloids for fuel, instead of carbs, and can result in high ph in your blood. Sure it burns off the fat reserves you have, but so does starving yourself, and neither is healthy or ideal.

Last edited:
When I read the posts for what everyone is making for dinner I wonder how everyone maintains their weight. I am from the school of eat whatever just not all of it. I don't go for any of the diets that restrict one food type or another. If I eat a large lunch then dinner is less. Breakfast is always light. I don't snack. Lots of water. I try to make my foods healthyish without all sorts of added calories and fat. Wicked bad fun foods a must on a occasion! And of course a work out.

quite ironic that the word DIE is in DIEt :)

you really don`t need anything Fancy (trust me!) 3 meals a day at regular times.

the Science behind this is quite simple, eat One meal a day or at irregular times, and your body doesn`t know when it`s going to eat next, and so it will store what it has when it has it (this results in Weight gain),

feed it regularly and often, it will bypass the need to store energy totaly.

now combine that with excersize, and you`ll be burning more than you store or consume, you also gain added musculature that requires energy to opperate and so eventualy it`s a feedback loop and lose weight NATURALY.

non of this fancy diet garbage, just pure Evolutionary Genetics.

simple eh :)

I don't diet, never have, never will. I exercise regulary and I utilize portion control. Eat what I want, just try to stick to the serving size that is suggested. Sometimes I splurge on a nice meal, then my next meal I try to compensate for it by eating a smaller meal that is more healthful. Once you get the word diet out of your head, I think it is much easier to reach your goals. Stay away from pills, and fad diets... just eat what you want, exercise, and portion control. OH, when you are eating, take smaller bites and eat slowly!!! That will help the over eating or splurging thing that can happen when you are eating something really good!!!

Being on a diet is hard. First you must drink 8 glasses of water of day. You must watch your calorie and fat intake each day.

I know a lot of people who have joined Weight Watchers and going to meetings each week and weighing in is really great for them.

I have not been to a meeting but I think they sell food or you can find it in the frozen department of your market.

Good Luck.

YT2095 has something there. Diet is just a word for what we eat. When meals are skipped it starts storing stuff. Comes from our cave man days when eating wasn't a regular thing. The body stored what it could to prevent starvation. Long intervals between meals. Our bodies haven't changed all that much so when we skip meals, every slows then we tend to binge on that one big meal while our metabolism is at it's slowest for burning calories and BAM. XXXtra pounds.

well, there is a flip side too. 3 squares a day is good, but it is recommended to eat 5 times a throughout the day. By incorporating 2 small healthy snacks in with the 3 squares, it helps jump start the metabolism and keeps the furnace burning.

Push your chair back from the table and get involved with something else for a few hours. When you are at home, work on your geneology or a friend's geneology. If you have children living in your home, play with them. They might have to teach you the games. When you go to the library stay off the isle with pet books & cookbooks. Instead go to the travel section, study and start mapping out a dream vacation. Stop watching TV and start listening to the radio. Start using the regular stall in the restroom and stay out of the "master" stall. Start dressing up and stay out of the old compfy one size fits all stretch wear.
Loose the booze! :rolleyes:

I hear you Chami. I'm on a mission to lose 10lbs by June 15th. I'm doing 40 minutes of walking a day plus 30 minutes tae bo and I'm cutting down desserts to once a week and wine to one glass a week.

Let's see how that goes.

Start using the regular stall in the restroom and stay out of the "master" stall.
mudbug said:
I don't get it.

We all know that the "master stall" is the large one even though there is not a sign on the door that says so. It is very convenient for a parent taking their children to the bathroom. And every other comfort to one needing a larger area.

When dieting, you should be looking for that "happy medium" in all things. And it should include things like the bathroom stall. (no more standing in line for me, I lost ten pounds....I'm using a regular stall!)
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom