Weird Eating Quirks You Won't (or at Least Rarely) Admit to

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people eat corn on the cob by biting along a row 0r rows of kernels along the length of the ear. Others bite a ring of kernels around the ear. No big deal.

I do the latter but with a purpose. Biting along a row the length of the cob allows time for the melted butter to run to the bottom of the ear and drip off. Butter on the plate is a bad thing.

I eat around the cob in rings and the constant rotation of the ear provides a re-basting of the ear with the melted butter. Butter on the corn is a good thing.

When my girls were young - pre-teens - we shopped at a local market. The deli counter had two huge glass jars of whole cucumber pickles. One was old fashioned dill and the other sour.

They both would sit with their pickles and bite off an end then spend the rest of the day just sucking the juice and seeds out of the pickles. They could make them last for hours.

haha i have to have honey mustard on my pizza and ranch. everything i eat is covered with honey mustard and/or ranch

can I mention my husband........he eats like an engineer.......the kids used to point out to their friends to watch him cut pancakes.........it was an art.......every pancake was perfectly bisected into even wedges and just an angstrom of syrup was allowed to go on top with nothing running over the sides........me I just ate like a hog........I love him though.........

I'll cut the center out of a dill pickle, eat it first and then eat the outside.

I dip my steak in the mashed potatoes and eat it that way.

I hate eating things like soup with a regular-sized spoon. I prefer the large ones. And don't even get me started on those little salad forks. I want real, long tines on my forks. No Munchkinware for me.

I'll eat all the outside parts of a cruller first (the "wings", for lack of a better word) before the inner portion.

I prefer my ice cream almost completely melted.

I discovered my favorite guilty pleasure, Nacho Cheese Doritos and French Onion Dip, while my mind was a little, ummmm... altered, about 22 years ago. It helped keep me from grinding my teeth all night. I don't eat it much these days, but will pull it out as a standby when I get the urge.

I make a point of removing the seeds from lemons before I squeeze them into my water, especially if I'm drinking with a straw.

I dip the spoon in the yogurt instead of scooping it with the spoon. It lasts longer that way.

I shake my "fruit-in-the-bottom" yogurts instead of stirring. That way I get bites of plain yogurt with my fruit.

I typically suck the pimentos out of the olive and eat them before eating the olive itself.

I'm sure I have more that Mizzphinz would tell you.

I don't know if this is a quirk or peeve. I cannot eat in a quiet room with someone else. I just can't stand to hear myself or someone else eat. I don't mind restaurant dining because I don't hear it but in the house I have to have noise in order to eat with my daughter or someone else. Also can't stand popcorn eaters at movie theatres. Just bugs the livin' daylights out of me. And, of course, I don't/won't eat at a movie theatre.

My quirk is I leave the pizza crust , I eat the pizza to the crust , then leave the crust. I like the cheese and sauce best of the pizza. Either hubby finishes my crusts or I throw it to the birds.

I tend to chew on foods that don't require chewing, like ice cream, yogurt, or pudding. I just seem to enjoy it much more that way...not sure why.

This is going to be very strange! I really haven't told many people about this weird eating quirk I have. It has to do with most things that have some kind of skin. I almost always eat the skin first and then the inside. :)Barbara

I do this too Barbara, but with of all things, pepperoni. I will take a long stick of pepperoni and gnaw at the skin until I get it all off. I eat it as I go, then I just eat the "meat" from one end to the other or I start in the centre and then eat one piece at a time.

I also can only eat scrambled eggs with soy sauce. I was allergic to ketchup as a kid and hated eggs (still don't much care for them) so I have to have them scrambled with soy sauce. Or I can have them in an omlette that is smothered wither with mozzarella or hollandaise sauce.

I eat one thing at a time. For instance I'll eat all the corn first. Then I move on to the potatoes. After I'm done with them then I'll eat the meat.

Here's kind of a question within a question--it goes along with eating quirks. Are you a plate turner or do you leave your plate right where it is the whole time?

I am a plate turner. I don't turn it for every bite, but I prefer to have certain foods closer to me when I eat them. Sometimes it is just practical (in my view anyway), as I may not want to drip gravy over a particular food, or it is easier to cut the meat closer to me, etc.

So, plate turner or stationary plate?

:mrgreen:Barbara

Here's kind of a question within a question--it goes along with eating quirks. Are you a plate turner or do you leave your plate right where it is the whole time?

I am a plate turner. I don't turn it for every bite, but I prefer to have certain foods closer to me when I eat them. Sometimes it is just practical (in my view anyway), as I may not want to drip gravy over a particular food, or it is easier to cut the meat closer to me, etc.

So, plate turner or stationary plate?

:mrgreen:Barbara

I mainly leave the plate in place, but if it becomes necessary to move it I will, which seems to happen if the food itself is harder to manouvre on the plate.

Otherwise, I can't think of any quirks that I have :huh:. Will come back here if I think of any.

My stepfather does though, with icecream. He mashes it up in the bowl to eat it, drives me crazy to watch, so annoying. Then he licks the bowl :ohmy:, something I think should only be done in private, it's not very attractive to see a grown man lick his bowl.

Hey, what an idea! Move the PLATE!
Now I won't have to go around the table anymore! ;)

I'm only a plate turner when served lobster with the head facing left/on left side of plate. I'm lefty and want to grab/tear with left, hold with right. My right hand blocks those beady eyeballs!

I don't know if this is a quirk or peeve. I cannot eat in a quiet room with someone else. I just can't stand to hear myself or someone else eat. I don't mind restaurant dining because I don't hear it but in the house I have to have noise in order to eat with my daughter or someone else. Also can't stand popcorn eaters at movie theatres. Just bugs the livin' daylights out of me. And, of course, I don't/won't eat at a movie theatre.

Probably more of a peeve but you reminded me that I have the same feelings about listening to others chew. Or rather some others. One woman at work drives me crazy so I try not to sit anywhere near her but doesn't always work.

My quirk I would say is, when eating a cupcake, I split it half and invert it so that the frosting is in the center.

Yikes I have too many quirks to mention:blush: Here are some my DH thinks are really weird.
My first pancake I eat must have salt pepper and butter on it. 2nd gets syrup.
I must have my milk ice cold and I couldn't even consider sharing a glass.
I mostly eat out of a pasta bowl....I cut my meat then smoosh my potato, veggies and salad all together. It looks like a dogs breakfast......yummm.
I can however class it up when we eat out or have company.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom