"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Everymom

Weird events you've witnessed

I've seen lots of weird stuff in my time. Just this week though, I had a ringside seat at a weird moment.

My oldest daughter had dental surgery on Tuesday to remove all her wisdom teeth, so we have been sort of couch potatoes the last few days. On Wednesday, we were hanging out watching a movie when a flock of waxwings descended on the tree in our front yard. That's pretty normal from January til March around here. Usually, they swoop in, eat for a few seconds and take off, come back, eat, leave...you get the idea. So this time, they descended and stayed. The occasional bird would fly off and another would come in, but overall, the tree stayed covered in waxwings. That's not the weird part.

The weird part is that when they would fly off, they kept hitting my front window! Normally we expect one or two strikes, these birds are so loaded from the fermented berries they can't fly straight most of the time. Doesn't sound too weird yet does it. Well how about if I tell you that 40 birds hit my window over the space of about an hour and a half? I tried going outside to shoo them away, banging on the window to frighten them off, closing the blinds, the cat was in the window...nothing worked. The damn birds just kept slamming themselves into our window full force. At one point there were 4 birds sitting on the front walk trying to recover their wits enough to fly off. Only one fatality though.

The only thing I can figure is that the light at that time of day must have caused a reflection of the tree in our window and the birds were trying to check out a new tree. Otherwise, I was living in a live version of Angry Birds!

What weird stuff have you seen lately?

Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

How about another bird related one for ya Alix. This was back in high school. My friend Scott just got his drivers license that day. We went out for a ride. It was a beautiful spring day so we had all the windows down. Wenwere stopped at a stop lightnand all of a sudden aboutna hundred birds went flying through the passengers window and out the drivers window. One went and all the rest followed. One of them even got his foot stuck in one of the air vents and we had to extract him.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Everymom

That DEFINITELY counts! They were probably waxwings too! Those birds are whacked!

Did I ever tell you about the bird that flew down our chimney one Christmas eve?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I've seen lots of weird stuff in my time. Just this week though, I had a ringside seat at a weird moment.

My oldest daughter had dental surgery on Tuesday to remove all her wisdom teeth, so we have been sort of couch potatoes the last few days. On Wednesday, we were hanging out watching a movie when a flock of waxwings descended on the tree in our front yard. That's pretty normal from January til March around here. Usually, they swoop in, eat for a few seconds and take off, come back, eat, leave...you get the idea. So this time, they descended and stayed. The occasional bird would fly off and another would come in, but overall, the tree stayed covered in waxwings. That's not the weird part.

The weird part is that when they would fly off, they kept hitting my front window! Normally we expect one or two strikes, these birds are so loaded from the fermented berries they can't fly straight most of the time. Doesn't sound too weird yet does it. Well how about if I tell you that 40 birds hit my window over the space of about an hour and a half? I tried going outside to shoo them away, banging on the window to frighten them off, closing the blinds, the cat was in the window...nothing worked. The damn birds just kept slamming themselves into our window full force. At one point there were 4 birds sitting on the front walk trying to recover their wits enough to fly off. Only one fatality though.

The only thing I can figure is that the light at that time of day must have caused a reflection of the tree in our window and the birds were trying to check out a new tree. Otherwise, I was living in a live version of Angry Birds!

What weird stuff have you seen lately?
The movie The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock. Clever thinking about the reflection. It makes sense.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I can guess what you named him.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Master Chef

When I was a child growing up in NE Ohio, one summer day we were getting ready to go out in the backyard after lunch. Mom was standing at the kitchen sink doing up lunch dishes when she yelled out to us to stay inside in a rather sharp tone. We rushed to the big picture windows that looked out on the backyard. Lo and behold, there was a monkey in our apple tree! It climbed all over the tree and ran around our yard. We sat transfixed while Mom called the police. Apparently someone's pet had escaped. By the time someone got to our house, the monkey had moved on and all we could do was to give them the direction it took off in.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Master Chef

Too graphic to post.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have a bird related one too.

We were driving along the dirt road from our home towards the village. We saw an eagle swoop down over the road. It showed up around every bend and it was carrying something. Eventually it swooped in front of our truck; dropped the object it was carrying; and flew away. We stopped the truck to see what it was. It was a dead hawk! They are smaller and more nimble than eagles, so they are seldom caught by them.

We wondered if it was some kind of weird omen, but could never figure out what it might have meant.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quack,quack yep, I love ducks and have since I was a child My grandma was a firm believer that ducks,chickens squabs were not pets but food and so one day when I was at school she throttled my ducks and I came home to the smell of wine in the kitchen making a yummy meal only it wasn't chicken like grandma said it was my ducks. I got sent to bed with out dinner and have never eaten Duck to this day. Well with all the rain here the pasture across the street looks like a lake and Mr. & Mrs. Duck have taken up life there they are so beautiful I feel like a kid. Oh happy day
kades
Old 04-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
Head Chef

When our kids were little we took them to Disney after my husband's job transfer to Florida. We were gone for a couple of days. Upon coming back into the house, we found strange black prints on the walls and windows. A frog had fallen down the chimney and bounced around the room until he expired. Was he a frog prince? After all, we had been singing "Some day your prince(prints?) will come" on the way back home.