Weird Pet things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I'm going to start with the dog. Our last dog was pretty mellow, but this guy has some odd habits. He likes to bury stuff. And if he isn't outside, he will "bury" a bone or whatever he is playing with in the couch cushions. Makes for some gross discoveries from time to time. He also has a serious barking problem. Every afternoon he goes into a barking frenzy. There is NOTHING outside and yet, he barks like he needs to alert me to danger for HOURS if I let him. If I let him out, he barks, let him in, he barks. So I have taken to putting him in his kennel for a while to mellow his weird little butt out.

What are some of your weird pet habits? I'll post about my cats shortly.

Oh, we're working on the training thing Charlie. He's only 5 months old so its a work in progress at the moment. He is just a bit weird. Love him, but he's weird.

Cats, hmmmmm.

Let's see...

We had a cat that loved to eat frozen broccoli.

We have two cats that sit on the windowsill all afternoon mewing at some imaginary thing out in the yard. I've looked many times. There's nothing there.

We had a cat, "Angel" that was scared to death of the crinkly sound WalMart plastic bags make. One day in his haste to get away from a bag I was unpacking he got one of his hind legs stuck in the handle loop of the bag. As he ran across the room to escape the bag monster he dragged it along behind himself. I didn't know a cat could run so fast. The poor thing was terrified!. When he finally escaped he was a wreck!

Your cat story reminds me of my mother's poor collie. She had to keep him on a leash outdoors, because they had no fence.

We were sitting around in lawn chairs chatting, when the phone rang. She jumped up to run indoors to answer it, and forgot that she had looped the dog's leash around the chair arm.

When Chauncy moved to go with her, the chair began to chase him, and the faster he ran, the faster the chair bounced and banged behind him.

Poor boy wouldn't go near an aluminum lawn chair for the rest of his days.

When my dog was a puppy, she used to hold rocks in her cheek like chewing tobacco. I'd go to give her a treat and she would spit the rock out on the floor first.

I had a cat that we rescued and our vet took care of so he would be a good boy and stay home:LOL: He was wild as all get out when we grabbed him, so it took a good week in a large cage and lots of good food, but, he finally decided to be nice...Of course this guy was to have a checkered life..First off the vet thought he was a she!!!So I named her Sweetpea, yup, and the next visit the vet all red faced confessed his error..Sweetpea then became pease.
Pease grew and grew, and smart, he figured out he could get in the house by watching my doxie use the doggie door..Then he decided I was his mom and proceeded to hunt and bring me his treasures, the favorite one being on very large gopher,a pheasant, and many mice..All the mice of course were still alive so we had a wild chase through the house each time..He also felt it was his duty to protect me and the other two kitties..One night I heard a horrid growling outside, we thought it might be a very large wild type of feline that might had strayed here..For two days we couldn't find pease, and then my son-in-law found him across the street and gone, We miss that rascal so much..He is at rest out back with Maxie my red doxie under a large tree .There are several other outside cats now, but, none as special as my pease.
kadesma

One of my (feline) boys, Kimba, has a problem drinking. He has to put his paw in the water bowl (or puddle) before he will drink from the bowl. There are six bowls of water around my house, always with water in, and yet he does the same thing every time. Only really a problem when it's the night and he comes back to bed, curls up by my face and sticks his wet paw on my cheek! Very effective wake up call!

One of our cats has an internal alarm clock. He will not let us sleep past 7:19. Don't ask me why, but thats his programmed time to start his purring and stomping to wake us up. Try telling him its Saturday...HA!!

I LOL at the plastic bag story. We have a cat who is terrified of plastic bags too. Thankfully she's never been stuck in one since we've had her but who knows before?

When I was little we had the sweetest siamese in the world, and my sister had his son. The two of them would get together and go out hunting and getting into all kinds of mischief. The younger cat was so smart he often did things that made our jaws drop. Once, my sister was "on the throne" and hadn't shut the door completely and the cat muscled his way into the bathroom, looked around and went to leave. She grumbled at him, "the least you could do is shut the door behind you!" The next thing she knew a black paw was under the door and pulling it shut! Go figure.

I have a good cat/plastic bag story. At the time we had 8 housecats - all adopted strays. But that's beside the point.

We came home from shopping for new bedding (pillows, sheets, & stuff) with several obviously super LARGE white plastic bags in tow. Our house is a small contemporary - a story & a half with a balcony overlooking the great room. Dear sweet old fatter than fat Cat #1 is upstairs on the balcony, lying on his back, playing with his toes. All's right with the world. Cat #2 somehow gets her head stuck thru the loop of one of the empty plastic bags & runs bats**t crazy around the downstairs room & up the stairs before we could grab her. Poor Cat #1 sees this coming & goes into a panic, obviously convinced that a huge ghost is chasing Cat #2, squeezing his fat body through the railings & plummeting down to the floor below. "Ghost-chased" Cat #2, just as frightened, follows him down in total parachute mode - bag still intact.

Luckily, no one was injured, but after that episode we didn't see hide nor hair of any of our 8 cats for about 3 hours - lol!! We're now uber careful to put stray plastic bags away asap.

The plastic bag stories are funny, but there is another reason to keep them out of reach of cats. I had a cat get one stuck on her neck one time, and it tightened up. Fortunately I saw it in time and got it off of her. I really think the chances of a cat choking are probably slim, but they could also have a problem if they decide to get inside of it and sleep.

My dog Cubbie (11 months old yesterday) has a weird thing about me cleaning the "gook" from the corners of his eyes (and he seems to get a lot of it). He will let me clean it off (I usually just wipe it with my finger or hand), but only if I let him lick the "gook" off my hand or finger afterward!

I wish I could have gotten one of my cats on video a few years ago. The people who picked up my trash wanted us to tape the payment inside the trashcan lid. I was running late for work and had to get the trash out front. I had a wide strip of packaging tape on the envelope, with the sticky side up so it wouldn't stick to the table, so I could grab it on my way out the door. Ariel jumped up in the chair next to the table and her tail just happened to get caught on the tape. She freaked out! She ran around the entire house with that envelope stuck to her tail, upstairs and down, several times before I was able to catch her!

:)Barbara

Well, my Pash-cat seeks out plastic bags, PUTS THEM ROUND HER OWN NECK and then runs around. We have to be really strict about hiding them, and she's been known to go over to the farm next door and steal theirs :( I think she likes the attention of everyone trying to'save her' from the bag. Her sister Nou-nou, as she usually doeswhen I bath, joined me for a bath this morning. She sits on my belly which is like an island in the water but she doesn't mind if the tips of her toes or har tail get wet. She loves to play with bubbles and often falls asleep on me. I've become adept at letting in more hot water with my foot.

My cat G-Nas is 12 and has many a weirdness in her personality. One of my fav's though was as a kitten she "adopted" this small stuffed animal as her baby. For about 2 years she carried the thing every with her. We would find it in the food dish, the water dish, the windowsill, even the litter box. She stopped when we got another kitten when G-Nas was about 2 years old. Then 6 years later the younger cat, Bennie, died unexpetedly. G-Nas would go around the house all day and night meowing a horrible meow. She seriously sounded as though she was mourning her little friend Bennie. So I went and found her a toy that was similar to the one she had 8 years ago. And the meowing stopped and she's been a happy "mom" ever since!
Breezy- that is one of the funniest animal stories ever! It would have been priceless to have been there!

We lived with my parents in NY for awhile while househunting here in VA. Parents don't have (or want) a/c, so even with windowscreens used to get houseflies sometimes during the hot summer months (not an infestation, just a normal amount), & my dad decided to hang a flypaper strip from the dining room chandelier, which hung pretty low over the dining room table.

When we returned from morning shopping, we were shocked to find most of the windows & walls in several rooms plastered with newspaper. ???? Turns out that mom's cat had somehow gotten her tail stuck to the flystrip, & in a panic had run thru the pile of papers dad had stacked to put out for recycling pickup. Obviously poor kitty had been bouncing off the walls & windows, because flystrip sticky papers were plastered EVERYWHERE. And when we finally located the poor beast, the strip had coiled itself completely around her tail.

I can't even begin to tell you what a mess it was prying that off of her & then trying to get all the goo off. I ended up using nail polish remover & then giving her a bath to get the remover off her so she wouldn't lick it & get sick. Not to mention what a treat it was pulling down all that newspaper & scrubbing the walls & windows - lol!! Mom & dad did that, figuring I already had more than my hands full dealing with the sticky cat.

You gotta love them, otherwise why would we go thru this stuff??

Several years ago two of my cats (mom, Pearl and daughter, Annette--named for Annette Funicello) had kittens within a couple days of each other. Pearl (full name Pitiful Pearl because she cried a lot when she was young) had her babies downstairs and Annette had hers upstairs. A couple of Annette's kittens weren't doing well, and we thought maybe she wasn't taking care of them. Then one of her babies died, so we decided to take action. When she was out of the room, we moved her three remaining babies down with her mom. Pearl happily took over nursing them, along with her own babies.

Annette was not happy! She came down and took her babies back! Here's the funny part though. She knew that she had 4 babies when she last saw them, so she took 4 babies back upstairs! We brought them back downstairs, and Pearl and Annette ended up taking care of both their babies together. They would lie facing each other (or sometimes back to back) and the babies would take turns nursing on either of them! They turned out to be a really good, loving pair of moms to all those babies. That was actually an interesting family of cats. Even the boys, when they grew up, would help take care of the babies! Our current cats, Mr. Frodo and Scarlett O'Hairy are descended from those kitties.

:)Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom