"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
You didn't already reinstall did you? Recovery is usually possible using a boot CD. I've done a fair amount of this, let me know if I can help with it (if it's not too late).

Either way, sorry to hear about it.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:45 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I sent you a PM with some of my favorite recipes and those you mentioned of mine that you lost

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:34 AM   #13
Senior Cook

does your homeowners insurance cover damage to appliances due to power surges?

when i lived in louisiana, where EXTREME thunderstorms can reek havoc, power outages/surges were VERY common.

my homeowners insurance covered my stuff.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Thank You all - As I recover recipies, in the future, they will all be on www.andycoyle.com where the ISP backs them up every night. I was planning to put them all up and write a little HTML to make them available to any who wanted them. Part of my teach myself HTML and other WEB languages. Obviously, no recipies that I get from others will be available online. They will be stored in a secure area, sothey will be backed up. There was a thread here about are you and intuitive cook or do you religoully follow recipies. I am intuitive, those that eat my food seem to like it. DW is always asking me to document what I do.

For all that have said waht a bummer it is, I agree. I have been in the business long enough to know better and I constantly remind my customers, however "The shoemakers kids never get new shoes" certainly applies here.

On the subject of backup though, it is my observation that most people do not back up their e-Mail, and other things that are important. e-Mail is especially a problem, because most of use it and keep it as a reference. Those that do often forget it. Just human nature. I heartilly recommend online backups, all you have to do is leave the machine on. There is one service that is free, or cheap to inidvidual users. If you are interested, PM me and I will send the link.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I see that I missed a few posts, by not looking on page 2.

RusselKahn, I did reinstall, the hard drive was so badly corrupted that the partition table was gone. I have done recoveries and repair installs. I tried recovery console. No help. The drive was so completely gone that I was not offered the repair option, because windows could not even reckognize the partition. I prolly could have used ontrack or someone, but, beyond my $$$ ability at the moment. Thank You for the concern and offer. Good escuse to get that UPS that I have been craving.

Kitchenelf - Thank you so very much. I appreciate it more than I know how to say.

BlackChef - Don't know about homeowners insurance. No hardware was made non functional. Just corrupted so badly that I had to reload. I am back up usine all the same hardware.