Well, I lost it all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adillo303

Head Chef
We had multiple power failures yesterday. Maybe 5 or 6 within an hour. Neither of us were home. The alarm system went off and all.

Anyway DW's computer started up OK. Mine did not. I had to "Whack and Reload". I lost about 500 song sll 50's and 6t0's (I'm an olf ****". Most all I lost all of my rcipies. Every one. Some are replaceable, thanks to DC, some are my own creations, which I have been documenting to pass on to my daughter.

Bummer, don't feel sorry for me, I am a computer consultant for 45 years. I know about backups and all my business stuff is on multiple computers. Jusrt bummed about the rcipies. I am having a hard time remembering what I had.

I know Mexico Karen had posted some great salsa recipies and here was othere mexican stuff in there. I have my step sons b"day BBQ comming up and have alfready announced a mexican theme. I've got a lot of work to dp.

Backup, backup, backup. Do not let what happened to me happen to you.

AC

sorry to hear that and thanks for the reminder..back up back up back up!

That stinks! I'm sorry that happened, but at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Thanks for the reminder to back everything up.

:)Barbara

oh that's awful. hope you can invent some new ones and back them up for sure.
bet the crashing of computers is not all that rare unfortunately.
as much as we love them, this is a reason to not love them.
good luck to you

I've crashed 2 laptops without backup, and the only things that upset me to lose were the digital photos.

I've printed out most of my meaningful photos in hardcopy at Walmart, and most of my beloved recipes are also in hardcopy.

I have one of those funny little Scandisk things. That I really must remember to use more often. :ermm:

Lee

Oh Adillo, I'm so sorry to hear about your computer! I also have many recipes of my own creation on my computer. Most of my photos are backed up, but I haven't thought about my recipes...a big project for another day soon. DH lost his motherboard and memory in a recent storm here, but his hard drive is still intact. As you start to plan your menu, PLEASE feel free to PM me for any help you need with recipes, OK?

You didn't already reinstall did you? Recovery is usually possible using a boot CD. I've done a fair amount of this, let me know if I can help with it (if it's not too late).

Either way, sorry to hear about it.

does your homeowners insurance cover damage to appliances due to power surges?

when i lived in louisiana, where EXTREME thunderstorms can reek havoc, power outages/surges were VERY common.

my homeowners insurance covered my stuff.

Thank You all - As I recover recipies, in the future, they will all be on www.andycoyle.com where the ISP backs them up every night. I was planning to put them all up and write a little HTML to make them available to any who wanted them. Part of my teach myself HTML and other WEB languages. Obviously, no recipies that I get from others will be available online. They will be stored in a secure area, sothey will be backed up. There was a thread here about are you and intuitive cook or do you religoully follow recipies. I am intuitive, those that eat my food seem to like it. DW is always asking me to document what I do.

For all that have said waht a bummer it is, I agree. I have been in the business long enough to know better and I constantly remind my customers, however "The shoemakers kids never get new shoes" certainly applies here.

On the subject of backup though, it is my observation that most people do not back up their e-Mail, and other things that are important. e-Mail is especially a problem, because most of use it and keep it as a reference. Those that do often forget it. Just human nature. I heartilly recommend online backups, all you have to do is leave the machine on. There is one service that is free, or cheap to inidvidual users. If you are interested, PM me and I will send the link.

I see that I missed a few posts, by not looking on page 2.

RusselKahn, I did reinstall, the hard drive was so badly corrupted that the partition table was gone. I have done recoveries and repair installs. I tried recovery console. No help. The drive was so completely gone that I was not offered the repair option, because windows could not even reckognize the partition. I prolly could have used ontrack or someone, but, beyond my $$$ ability at the moment. Thank You for the concern and offer. Good escuse to get that UPS that I have been craving.

Kitchenelf - Thank you so very much. I appreciate it more than I know how to say.

BlackChef - Don't know about homeowners insurance. No hardware was made non functional. Just corrupted so badly that I had to reload. I am back up usine all the same hardware.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom