Well my home town of Duluth is a disaster.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh and the water is starting to recede now and the dam didn't collapse, so it looks like at least that danger is passed (although I think water is still running over and around it).

Oh and the water is starting to recede now and the dam didn't collapse, so it looks like at least that danger is passed (although I think water is still running over and around it).
I assume (and hope) they will be checking the dam for any kind of stress cracks, etc.

Barbara L said:
I assume (and hope) they will be checking the dam for any kind of stress cracks, etc.

I'm sure they will. That was a lot of stress. I'm sure much more than it was built for (although really it should be strong enough for that sort of thing, just in case).

Everywhere I've lived that had serious flooding there are many, many people who think they are infallible and let their kids go out an play in it, or drive onto roads they should be familiar enough with to stay away, or simply refuse to evacuate for a few days even when good options are available to them (i.e., they can afford hotels out of the danger area, have friends or family who will take them & pets in, etc). And can't they know that the water is downright poisonous when there's a flood? The sewers are spouting stuff that you just flushed down the toilet, and they're letting their kids play in it? Then rescue personnel are risking their lives and their families' futures rescuing people who really were just plain stupid. Having lived through several natural disasters, hey, don't fool with mother nature.

I've been to Duluth once and found it lovely. I hope you can rescue your lovely waterfront and get back to normal soon.

Last edited:
Flood water scares the crap out of me. In '87 the town that my grandmother lived in had major spring flooding. Ice jams were the cause of it being far worse than normal. My mom was a Red Cross volunteer and made it over there just before the road was washed out, she and others from the red cross set up a shelter at the high school. I remember going out and helping rescue people from their houses. The Suburban that we were in had water coming in under the doors and we were being rammed with big chunks of ice. It scared the crap out of me.

Another time years later, my dad called to tell me to use the interstate to come home, since the river was rising, I didn't listen and just as I turned the corner, I drove right into what was now part of the river, I slammed the car in reverse and floored it, hoping that my engine didn't die. I went back and took the interstate...

My heat aches for flood victims, it must be such a hopeless feeling.

Wow I think this is the worst road damage I've seen so far. Poor Jay Cooke state park is in shambles.

image-2298238536.jpg

And lake superior will be recovering from this one for awhile. Overloaded with topsoil and dirty toxic flood water.

image-3261169178.jpg

Everywhere I've lived that had serious flooding there are many, many people who think they are infallible and let their kids go out an play in it, or drive onto roads they should be familiar enough with to stay away, or simply refuse to evacuate for a few days even when good options are available to them (i.e., they can afford hotels out of the danger area, have friends or family who will take them & pets in, etc). And can't they know that the water is downright poisonous when there's a flood? The sewers are spouting stuff that you just flushed down the toilet, and they're letting their kids play in it? Then rescue personnel are risking their lives and their families' futures rescuing people who really were just plain stupid. Having lived through several natural disasters, hey, don't fool with mother nature.

I've been to Duluth once and found it lovely. I hope you can rescue your lovely waterfront and get back to normal soon.

Yep, Claire. For many years Buck and I enjoyed the sport of kayaking and whitewater canoeing and one thing that has to be learned and understood...water ALWAYS wins. We had a healthy respect for the beauty and the power of water.

Skittle: Just wanted U to know How awful we feel

:chef: Skittle, Buon Giorno,

Just wanted you to know how awful it makes us feel, that there are so many more natural disasters ... The lack of Green Policies and regulations on behalf of the world´s businesses is part of the problem ...

On my side of the globe:
The two earthquakes in Emilia Romagna in May, the first at 5.9 and two days later 4.3 ...

Then, in southeast Spain in Murcia, a knock on effect of several earthquakes back in 2011 ...

I wish you and all the residents of Duluth, all my very best ...

Kindest. Ciao,
Margi Cintrano.

Yep, Claire. For many years Buck and I enjoyed the sport of kayaking and whitewater canoeing and one thing that has to be learned and understood...water ALWAYS wins. We had a healthy respect for the beauty and the power of water.

Yeah, one thing that most people don't get is don't fool with Mother Nature, you'll lose every time. If warnings tell you to stay home, or to evacuate, then do so unless you're emergency first responders. You may think you're being brave and strong when you get the warning that your house or car and life itself is endangered, but what your are doing is ending the life of someone who has to rescue you.

If the beach has a sign saying there are riptides, lightning threats, or sharks, stay he he** out of the water. If you can evacuate when there is an order out, do it (I do understand some handicapped people can't just up and move). If the siren says go the the basement and you have one, go there, or go to an interior room. Oh, here's a good one: I used to have a swimming pool in Florida. After living there a few years I learned how close a lightning storm was. Two separate times I told everyone to get out of the pool and into the house. One time there was no problem (although a tussle with teenagers who refused), but one time all of a sudden lightning struck near my house and my phones all fried. "duh, Claire, I guess you know what you're talking about."

Skittle, I have been following the story of Duluth on the news. But your pictorial story speaks volumes. My heart goes out to the folks there. thank you so much for the pictures. I just hope you didn't place yourself in any danger. Just keep your family safe and healthy. Prayers are on the way. :(

OMGoodness Skittle!....I've been serving as cook at a monastery for the past week, no TV, no news.....this is just awful to hear! Hope you and your family, loved ones stay safe, and that the town recovers well.

Your photos are great! Good luck to you all.

Skittle, just wanted to let you know that your family and all of Duluth are still in our thoughts and prayers. I too have been following it on the news but when someone is so close to the situation you get so much more - through their pictures and words. Thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom