"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2006, 03:38 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Have any of you seen Supersize Me (i think that's its name) the movie about mc donalds food experiment. At same time, I think its a matter of choices. I like going to burger king and getting whopper jr instead of honking huge double whopper, but hubby still doubles up... oh well...
Yea I just saw it like 3 weeks ago right after getting a summer job at McDonalds. Even after having seen the film and working there, I'm still not convinced to totally boycott the place. To me, all the preservatives and stuff don't make any difference. What I do care about is the high fat and calorie content of the food. So you do have to make wise choices when eating fast food.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
I have become such a fan of it that I make mini burgers at home now. Lots easier to fix and cleanup and not as hard to eat as a regular size burger.

I am surprised that more resturants/fast food chains don't do this. In a way, it caters to those folks that want to eat less or the same person that would order a biggie would order more mini's!

I am not much for fast food myself.... I like chik-fil-a (sp?) once in a while, and that is about it.
Have you ever seen a White Castle restaurant? It is a chain in the East and Midwest. Their whole business is based upon mini burgers. Customers just buy them by the bagful.

http://www.whitecastle.com/

Here is their nutritional information page:

http://www.whitecastle.com/_pages/nutrition.asp

Old 06-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Have any of you seen Supersize Me (i think that's its name) the movie about mc donalds food experiment. At same time, I think its a matter of choices. I like going to burger king and getting whopper jr instead of honking huge double whopper, but hubby still doubles up... oh well...

Yeah I saw it. I loved the DVD extra where he testes all the food to see how long before it got moldy.

The McDonalds fries were not even moldy after like 10 weeks of just sitting in the canister to rot.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Yeah I saw it. I loved the DVD extra where he testes all the food to see how long before it got moldy.

The McDonalds fries were not even moldy after like 10 weeks of just sitting in the canister to rot.
A show on Australian TV did the same sort of thing. They bought a cheeseburger 3 years ago and stored it. After 3 years had passed they went out and bought a fresh one, it looked exactly the same.

Can't remember the last time I ate anything from a commercial fast food place, and I turn it down whenever I'm offered regardless of whether it may offend since I am a guest at another person's house (with their permission I just go into the kitchen and make myself something).
Old 06-13-2006, 12:44 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

so, does this mean that wendy's will now have a small, medium, and large?

it annoys me when a place sells medium, large, and even larger sized portions.
you can't have a medium unless there's a small and a large.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
Have you ever seen a White Castle restaurant? It is a chain in the East and Midwest. Their whole business is based upon mini burgers. Customers just buy them by the bagful.

http://www.whitecastle.com/

Here is their nutritional information page:

http://www.whitecastle.com/_pages/nutrition.asp
My hubby swears by them and craves them... but there are none to be found in these neck of the woods. Only frozen in a box. But if I ever get a chance....I am for sure trying them!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Have you people lost your minds?

Even considering eating at one of the fast food factoies is disgusting, and actually doing it is a dis-service to your mind and body. If you are a parent taking your kid to one of these places ought to be considered child abuse...
Forget global warming- the fast food industry does more harm, world wide than all the other CO2 emissions ever could.

Thare I feel better now. Actually I eat a Wendy's HB once a year or so and so far it has not hurt me too much. I swore off McD's about 15 years ago- have never been back since except for breakfast on road trips.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

I swore off McD's about 15 years or so ago also Hopz aside from the very rare time I will get a sausage biscuit there (less than once a year).

I find the sizes of Wendys sodas ridiculous. the equivalent of 3.5 cans of soda??? No wonder the USA is getting fatter and fatter.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:30 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz
Have you people lost your minds?

Even considering eating at one of the fast food factoies is disgusting, and actually doing it is a dis-service to your mind and body. If you are a parent taking your kid to one of these places ought to be considered child abuse...
Forget global warming- the fast food industry does more harm, world wide than all the other CO2 emissions ever could.

Thare I feel better now. Actually I eat a Wendy's HB once a year or so and so far it has not hurt me too much. I swore off McD's about 15 years ago- have never been back since except for breakfast on road trips.
Yep, out of my mind... I will try anything once..... ok I do have some boundries.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
We do not eat at fast food restaurants very often - so when we do it is considered a treat - like a other sinful foods. However, when I do go, I want a bunch of fries and a big hamburger - I guess I am confessing that I was a biggie fry fan - oh well, at least I'm honest. I will miss the biggie fry . I know how bad they are for me, but like I said, we don't go there very often at all.