Went in For Ink and Came out with a Printer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
James went to Best Buy this evening to buy ink for our printers. How do you like the deal he got? For the same price as a black ink and a color ink for mine, he got a better printer than I have (marked down, both mine and the new one are HP), and it came with black and color ink! I love a good deal! And I get the new printer. :cool:

:)Barbara

Great deal when you can save money and get something new!

It doesn't suprise me too much though because most manufactures make more money off the ink refills and not off the printer.

Sometimes new printers come with starter ink cartridges that contain less ink than the normal cartridges.
Yes, and these are not the biggest size you can get, but the upgrade in printer was worth it, and he bought more ink besides (also on sale).

Yeah, replacement cartridges are expensive. I buy generic, no name replacements on-line at about 1/3 the price.
Also, the last two printers I owned were strictly black ink only printers. Cheaper that way too.

Hmm ... on the count of going for ink and out with a printer, I once went to buy kitty litter, last minute, before a party, and came home with a puppy.

Yes, once your printer achieves a certain age, it can be cheaper to buy a printer than the ink.

I've never used them, but there are places that will take your cartridge and refill it, recycling them (in other words, if they have one of yours, you hand your empty in and buy one of their full ones. They inject ink into yours and sell it to the next guy who brings in your model). I understand they're very reasonable. I've never used one because (a) I don't print enough for the expense to be a huge issues for me and (b) the place isn't near anyplace I go regularly. But it might be worth looking into.

And yes, I once did buy a new printer because my ink cartridges had gotten to be so expensive, AND they had to be special ordered.

Hmm ... on the count of going for ink and out with a printer, I once went to buy kitty litter, last minute, before a party, and came home with a puppy.

I went in for cat food the other day and ALMOST came home with a litter of 4 little black babies. They were soo cute! 4 kittens in the apt with the two adults we already have would have been too much!:rolleyes:

Yes, and these are not the biggest size you can get, but the upgrade in printer was worth it, and he bought more ink besides (also on sale).

P.S. I found out these were full-sized ink cartridges. I also got the store wrong--for some reason I said Best Buy, but it was Office Max. :)

LOL @ the puppies and kittens! That sounds like me!

Yeah, that puppy thing. We need a new computer, but what is going to get us sooner, I'm afraid, is puppy lust. This week was the one-year anniversary of being pet-less. I can't talk my husband into a cat. But puppy-lust is going to get us sooner or later, and I'm afraid sooner. My elderly, shut-in friends have turned into a household of rotating animals (their 24/7 in-home caregivers often bring their animals with them, and it is a real boon!), and I've definitely got a case of it. I do NOT believe in "meant to be", but the next time the right dog comes across my sights, I'll call hubby and we'll be owners again. Actually, I'd kinda like a pair of dogs to come across my sights! Ow! Here we go again. No travel. Bills. Lots and lots of love!

Several years ago I contacted a computer repair person and he told me that most people usually buy a new printer rather than buy ink. The printer is usually less than the cost of new ink cartridges. He seemed to think it was funny that I didn't know that, but now I do. The cheap printer I have now cost $35. Replacement cartridges for it run around $60. It seems wasteful to have to get rid of a working printer, but money talks.

My daughter and I went into a pet shop to buy some aquarium frogs and came out with a tortie kitten. She is the best little friend. Lesson learned...never take daughter into a pet store!

You know, I'm not a huge environmentalist fanatic, but, still, doesn't this make you a little scared? Piles of computer parts in a landfill? My computer is supposedly archaic, and I can easily afford to replace it, and would like to, with a laptop. But the thought of all this stuff just being tossed away makes me think twice. Should I replace it just because It isn't new?

I'm with you Claire. In the past 20 years I've only discarded 1 computer. It was a compaq laptop. I currently have four desktops and one laptop. The newest is a one month old laptop that I bought for use in our only air conditioned room and to give me internet access while my wife is having her weekly Sunday chat with her sister. The next newest is a two year old Pavilion that I had to buy to run 2008 tax software. My 10 year old Prosignia is still limping along running Windows 98 and Windows XP; I use it mainly for backups and printing. The two computers in my basement are only used if I have to run windows 3.x tax software.
I still prefer using my 20 year old IBM keyboard to any of the other keyboards I own.

Many retail store have a recycle/buy back on old computers and accessories. When Shrek and I trashed our last non-working computer and decided to go wireless, the big box store not only took the old ones back but gave us a gift card with credit on it. It was for the amount they had to charge us for taking back the old monitor ($25). We took back the tower, the monitor and the printer and other odd cables, etc.

We never throw old computers, printers, etc. out. There is always someone who can use them, either as-is or for parts.

Back
Top Bottom