We're Completely Stumped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy I would suggest two things. One call around to see if there is a local lab. They may can provide a sample kit for analysis. Second buy a trail camera and set it up and see if you have a rat giving a present

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Could it be a combination of the residue from the Swiffer cleaning solution buildup combined with dirt that creates a smudge when you skid across the floor, sort of like the smudge you get when you try to remove some adhesives from glass bottles and jars.

I would try giving the floor a good old fashioned mopping with hot water and a glug of sudsy ammonia.

Good luck!

LOL Andy. Gotta admit you got me back! :)

I guess if you wanna know badly enough you could collect a sample and send it off to a lab.

If not I think this discussion has run its course. (Famous last words spoken 37 pages before the end of some random discussion on the Internet.)

I'm waiting for a reappearance so I can take some pictures to share. I've charged my camera battery and I'm poised and ready.

Noting has happened since we started talking about it. Maybe the trick is to keep talking...

I'm waiting for a reappearance so I can take some pictures to share. I've charged my camera battery and I'm poised and ready.

Noting has happened since we started talking about it. Maybe the trick is to keep talking...

Well I hope you find the answer. Nothing like a mysterious happening to peak our interest.

Well, this is my attempt to 'keep talking.' :angel:

Perhaps your SO is leaving the marks and waiting to see how long before you catch her? Or how far you will go in investigating the matter? She's not a jokester is she?

Perhaps your SO is leaving the marks and waiting to see how long before you catch her? Or how far you will go in investigating the matter? She's not a jokester is she?

Not likely. She's as flummoxed as I am. And she's not a jokester.

Are you or anyone else burning candles in the house? some of them leave soot and quite a bit depending on the candle..........I don't know if anyone has already posted this as I didn't have time to go through every post..........

Are you or anyone else burning candles in the house? some of them leave soot and quite a bit depending on the candle..........I don't know if anyone has already posted this as I didn't have time to go through every post..........

No candles. I can't stand scented candles so we seldom burn them.

So Casper hasn't returned?
That's a good thing. :)
Just figured I keep the talk up in case that really is the trick. ;)
And don't let the camera batteries die just because he/she hasn't been around lately. :rolleyes:

So Casper hasn't returned?
That's a good thing. :)
Just figured I keep the talk up in case that really is the trick. ;)
And don't let the camera batteries die just because he/she hasn't been around lately. :rolleyes:

Funny! The mystery marks have not returned and I checked my camera battery just last night. I'm ready.

Zagat, I do believe you've jinxed me! Here's a photo of the biggest smudge today.

Attachments

• DSC05236.jpg
    DSC05236.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 119
I've been waiting waiting waiting, and THERE THERE IT IS! It looks sinister.

The seam between the boards to the left of the big mark looks like there is black all along it. Is that correct in real life? If so, I'd say you have a problem underneath and it's coming up through the boards. Has it rained heavily just recently after having not rained for a while, maybe some kind of insect activity?

The seam between the boards to the left of the big mark looks like there is black all along it. Is that correct in real life? If so, I'd say you have a problem underneath and it's coming up through the boards. Has it rained heavily just recently after having not rained for a while, maybe some kind of insect activity?

Looks like that to me, too. I would take a piece of masking tape or a sticky note and run it along the seam. See if anything black comes up. There may be a leak under the floor causing mold, or insect activity, like msmofet suggested.

Looks like that to me, too. I would take a piece of masking tape or a sticky note and run it along the seam. See if anything black comes up. There may be a leak under the floor causing mold, or insect activity, like msmofet suggested.

That location is coincidental. These smudges appear in different locations at different times.

The floor is over a full basement with not water sources close by.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom