We're Completely Stumped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The big mark appears to be in the middle of the plank. You should do a dry wipe of the smudges and take it to the county for analysis. Rule out pathogen.

Zagat, I do believe you've jinxed me!

Moi??? :angel:

Seems like talking about it wasn't the trick.;)

I'll agree with medtran. The seam appears to have the same black. The smudge appears in the middle of the board but your problem could be coming from the seams. I doubt it's coming through the hardwood and finish.

Does it wipe off easily?

What do you wash the floor with?

How often?

Kinda/Sorta looks like mold that the spores could be spread during a damp mop.

Notice how the black is in the crevices of the grain.

If it wipes off it's on the surface on top of the finish.

If it is a mold I can only suggest using a little bleach in your wash water and keeping things as dry as you can for while.

Or perhaps refinishing the floor to help seal up the joints where moisture can penetrate.

Best of luck and keep us informed of what you find out about Casper. :)

It wipes off easily with windex. Mold would be a powdery black. This is a greasy black that will smear and can be tracked to other areas. Besides, it appears suddenly.

The space between the floorboards looks much worse than it is.

do you know anyone with a microscope, Andy`. `i'd do it for you but `i'm stuck over here in `oman and my scope is stored well away....it would be easy to see if they were spores, or just plain organic or inorganic material............oh, gawd, there's that poor violated violin being assaulted again as well as my ears................anyway,.............if you can't track down the cause,`i would have an analysis done on it just to rule out anything harmful........`i'm sure it's not.........there's probably an easy explanation and none of us Sherlock Holmes can help you out yet.........

Zagat, I do believe you've jinxed me! Here's a photo of the biggest smudge today.

Andy, this is just bizarre. Glad you were able to post a photo. It doesn't look like moisture or anything coming from the seams in the floor. How does it make you feel having this phenomenon in your house? Are you always looking around when you first come into the kitchen every morning:LOL:. Do you have any theories right now? BTW, nice oak flooring.

It wipes off easily with windex. Mold would be a powdery black. This is a greasy black that will smear and can be tracked to other areas. Besides, it appears suddenly.

The space between the floorboards looks much worse than it is.

Well Mr. Watson we're moving forward. ;)

Mold would not necessary be powdery.

Is it actually greasy or just moist?

How long after floor cleaning does it appear?

It wipes off so it's on top of the finish.

It's not percolating through the wood so it's something placed on top.

Does it wipe off with simple water or is a solvent like windex needed?

Don't underestimate the size of the seam between your floorboards. It's gigantic to some of the things that live it this world.

And that it appears suddenly is no reason to discount some microbe.

We've got some weird orange mold at work that appears instantly when the plywood gets wet.
I think it's the glue. :rolleyes:

For some reason I have in my head that you damp mop the area.
Some mysterious spores are spread in the process and where droplets of moisture are left the spooky black things grow.

They could be culled from those seams that appear insignificant.

I may be totally off base and I wish you well with Casper.

Keep us informed with what you find out.

SO found some on the bottom of her foot. She tracked it to other parts of the kitchen and dining room. Not sure which came first. Did she pick it up somewhere else and track it in or was it there and she picked it up and spread it. Once again we retraced her steps to see where she might have picked it up. No dice.

Back
Top Bottom