"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-20-2016, 11:21 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

We're Completely Stumped

We cannot figure out where they're coming from or even what they are. Periodically they show up and it's driving us crazy.

I'm talking about black smudges on the floor. They appear on the hardwood in the dining area and the ceramic tile in the kitchen and half bath to the left of the fridge.

They can be tracked around on the bottoms of our feet. They smear easily. They happen during all seasons, when we have been in and outdoors and when we have not been outdoors. They wipe up easily with a squirt of windex and a paper towel. There is no apparent source. I've checked the swivel mechanism on the two stools and the feet on the stools. Nothing is dropping from the ceiling - it remains white.

The floor is cleaned mainly with a Swifter wet mop.

I gotta tell you it's making us crazy. SO is convinced the house is haunted by someone who wants us to move out so they can have the place. I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person with a logical mind. I have no clue.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03107.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	25211  

Old 08-20-2016, 11:35 PM   #2
Head Chef

Andy could you post a picture of the smudges?

You have checked all the soles of your various shoes and boots right?
the wheels on your vacuum cleaner?

You say periodically... every week? once a month? ???

If you scrape it with your fingernail - is it like gummy? rubber(y)? tar?

tar - what is the temp outside? are you picking up some in the heat and bringing it in?

Old 08-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
Head Chef

If the soles of your running shoes are black, they are rubber and not non-marking. My tile floors need regular cleaning because my Saucony running shoes aren't non-marking. They don't leave black marks tho.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:42 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Could it be something your feet are picking up from some other surface in the house? A floor mat in some other room, maybe? Dust from the ceiling fan that gets smudged when you walk on it?
Old 08-20-2016, 11:58 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
If the soles of your running shoes are black, they are rubber and not non-marking. My tile floors need regular cleaning because my Saucony running shoes aren't non-marking. They don't leave black marks tho.
I worked in an office and they put in new rubber molding, when they put in new carpets. The entry to my cube was very narrow (OSHA OSHA OSHA ALERT..ha ha), just the touch of my black rubber shoes against the cream colored molding, left black marks. It had to be cleaned with some kind of petroleum product. I tried my best to not let the two touch, but, there were scuffs there again.....

Your home could be haunted. Do you have an automated vacuum cleaner and a puppy? Perhaps?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:00 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

It happens when we are barefoot and haven't been out. Winter, Summer, Spring, Fall. No running shoes. Happens when we're only wearing socks too.

No likely sources from other parts of the house.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:04 AM   #7
Head Chef

Then you have a burglar or a stalker, or a friendly neighbor stopping in. Are your doors secure?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:06 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We're Completely Stumped

Something on your vacuum cleaner/Swiffer? Like a rubber gasket or bumper? When I had a cleaning lady, she tended to ram the Swiffer bumper into the trim in the bathroom, and it left black marks.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:25 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Wow -- an interesting mystery!! I don't know what kind of floors you have, but do you think it's something seeping up from under the flooring? I agree with the others -- check your vacuum, swiffer, broom, etc. Good Luck! Let us know if you solve the mystery!
Old 08-21-2016, 06:50 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Did you happen to have the wood floor refinished before this started? I found a site that describes how metal shavings from sanding a wood floor reacted with acids in the wood and corrosive chemicals in the finish to produce a type of black rust. If that's what this is, you and SO might be tracking it onto the tile.

http://www.hardwoodfloorsmag.com/san...od-floors.html