We're Leaving on Our Vacation Today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Michelle! Right now we are sitting in the lounge of the car dealership while they change the oil and check a few things (like the air conditioning, which has never been as cool as it should be, especially in the back, where I need to ride sometimes). They said it would be a while, so we're glad they have wireless. :cool:

:)Barbara

~cheering fer barb & james~

horray! have a lovely vacation. travel safely.
luv, luvs

For the most part we have been having a great time. Last night we stopped at a Best Western in Newport, Tennessee. The only reason we stayed was because he told me they have wireless in the rooms. We even took an upstairs room, even though we have bad knees, because he said it would have better reception. NOTHING. They tried to blame it on everything from us having Vista to the weather. Talk about frustrated!

We stopped at a couple neat places today. One was KFC Cafe, which is where the original Kentucky Fried Chicken was. There is a little museum there, and the original kitchen is there (they don't cook there now! lol). I took lots of pictures, but evidently I brought the wrong cord with my camera and will have to wait until we get home to post them.

Late this afternoon we went to a really nice winery/vineyard and gift shop. We bought a gift for a certain elf there. Yep, you guessed it--it's a shirt! :innocent: Okay, okay, there might be more to it than that. ;) Thanksgiving seems too far away now!

Before we even checked in to our motel tonight we drove around the building with our wireless meter (forgot to use it last night, obviously!) and it showed a very strong signal. So we watched this week's Big Brother shows and are now getting caught up on other things, like email and DC.

We are in Scottsburg, Indiana tonight. We have been using our new Tom-Tom GPS unit and have been amazed at how great it has been. One of the nice things is that instead of just saying we need to exit, it tells us if we need to be in the right or left lane. I should say "she" and not "it," as it is a very nice sounding British "lady" telling us where to go! James was calling it "Thomas" (for Tom-Tom), but I said that since it is a female (we had a few voice choices) she is Thomasina. :cool:

My leg is still a little pink in places, but I noticed tonight that my ankle no longer hurts at all.

Well, if we don't run into another horrible place like we did last night (the Internet problem wasn't the only one, but it was the worst part), I will check in again tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Elf + winery = who else? :w00t2:
Duh! That was kind of a given! J/K! I hope you like what we got you. We got a little something for ourselves too. :cool: I will post the pictures I took of the vineyards when I am able. We sampled a couple for you while we were there. You liked them. :-p

I forgot to tell you, as we drove by Hickory, on I-40, we honked at you. You heard us didn't you? LOL

Well, check out time was a couple minutes ago and we still aren't quite ready to go, so I'd better pack up my computer so we can hit the road.

We are totally beat right now (physically anyway), but we are in finally in Ottumwa. We got a late start leaving Indiana this morning (well, actually more like 1:00 p.m.). We had to get my prescriptions filled at WalMart. The drive through Indiana and Illinois was really nice.

Before we left Scottsburg, Indiana, we had lunch there. We ate at Roadhouse USA. It was really good, and the server was really sweet! James had the Underdog (chili cheese dogs and fries), cole slaw, and sauteed mushrooms. I had a steak sandwich with Monterey Jack and sauteed onions and mushrooms added. I also had fries, and sauteed mushrooms. We both had iced tea.

Later, we were getting hungry for supper, then I saw a sign for Jubilee Cafe, in Kickapoo, Illinois. I mentioned that you don't seem to see many cafes any more. We decided to go there. It was an adorable little place, the staff was very friendly, and the food was really good. James had a pork tenderloin sandwich and potato chips. I had a ribeye steak, three jumbo shrimp, small side salad with home-made blue cheese dressing, and mashed potatoes and gravy. I wasn't able to finish all my food, but I did manage dessert. It was one of the best pies I have ever tried. It was called Sunshine Pie. It was an orange-coconut custard pie. We considered buying a whole pie for later, but there was only one piece left, so we bought a rhubarb pie. I haven't had rhubarb pie in years.

Jubilee Cafe even has a "5 minute guarantee." I accidentally left the menu in the car, but I think I remember it:

5 minute guarantee.
If you don't get your food in 5 minutes,
you'll get it in 9, or 11, or 15 minutes.
Relax!

After supper, nearing the Iowa border, we heard something ding. James asked what that noise was, then he noticed the gas light was on. We drove and drove--at least 15 miles, and there were no gas stations. I was getting nervous because there weren't many places that were safe to stop. They were doing road construction on part of it, other parts were narrow and winding, and part of it was a bridge over the Mississippi River. Not long after we crossed the river into Iowa, we finally found a gas station. It turned out we still had about one and a half gallons left. :-p

We plan to do a little yard sale shopping tomorrow morning. Then we will go get Anna and figure out what we are doing from there.

Back
Top Bottom