"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #21
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thanks Michelle! Right now we are sitting in the lounge of the car dealership while they change the oil and check a few things (like the air conditioning, which has never been as cool as it should be, especially in the back, where I need to ride sometimes). They said it would be a while, so we're glad they have wireless.

Barbara

Old 08-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #22
Master Chef

~cheering fer barb & james~

horray! have a lovely vacation. travel safely.
luv, luvs

Old 08-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Hope you have a great time Barbara. After everything you've gone through you really deserve it.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Take your time and have fun no rush to do anything on a vacation.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:25 AM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

For the most part we have been having a great time. Last night we stopped at a Best Western in Newport, Tennessee. The only reason we stayed was because he told me they have wireless in the rooms. We even took an upstairs room, even though we have bad knees, because he said it would have better reception. NOTHING. They tried to blame it on everything from us having Vista to the weather. Talk about frustrated!

We stopped at a couple neat places today. One was KFC Cafe, which is where the original Kentucky Fried Chicken was. There is a little museum there, and the original kitchen is there (they don't cook there now! lol). I took lots of pictures, but evidently I brought the wrong cord with my camera and will have to wait until we get home to post them.

Late this afternoon we went to a really nice winery/vineyard and gift shop. We bought a gift for a certain elf there. Yep, you guessed it--it's a shirt! Okay, okay, there might be more to it than that. Thanksgiving seems too far away now!

Before we even checked in to our motel tonight we drove around the building with our wireless meter (forgot to use it last night, obviously!) and it showed a very strong signal. So we watched this week's Big Brother shows and are now getting caught up on other things, like email and DC.

We are in Scottsburg, Indiana tonight. We have been using our new Tom-Tom GPS unit and have been amazed at how great it has been. One of the nice things is that instead of just saying we need to exit, it tells us if we need to be in the right or left lane. I should say "she" and not "it," as it is a very nice sounding British "lady" telling us where to go! James was calling it "Thomas" (for Tom-Tom), but I said that since it is a female (we had a few voice choices) she is Thomasina.

My leg is still a little pink in places, but I noticed tonight that my ankle no longer hurts at all.

Well, if we don't run into another horrible place like we did last night (the Internet problem wasn't the only one, but it was the worst part), I will check in again tomorrow night.

Barbara
Old 08-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon

You are assuming, of course, that you are the elf of whom I speak?

Barbara
Old 08-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
You are assuming, of course, that you are the elf of whom I speak?

Barbara

Elf + winery = who else?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #29
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Elf + winery = who else?
Duh! That was kind of a given! J/K! I hope you like what we got you. We got a little something for ourselves too. I will post the pictures I took of the vineyards when I am able. We sampled a couple for you while we were there. You liked them.

I forgot to tell you, as we drove by Hickory, on I-40, we honked at you. You heard us didn't you? LOL

Well, check out time was a couple minutes ago and we still aren't quite ready to go, so I'd better pack up my computer so we can hit the road.

Barbara
Old 08-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL on the "you liked it" and YES, I heard you honk!!!!!