West Nile virus??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
Anyone had experience with it?
I've read a little and so far all I can tell is it comes on with maybe a headache, temp, achy body, like a flu.
My 4 year old has all of the above this morning, no other bugs going around the house.
All he wants to do is lay in bed and listen to his books on cd. That is NOT him at all.
We diligently bug spray the kids every time they go outside, but as bad as the stupid mosquitos have been this year, sometimes they slip in the house.... or a kid slips out without a spray. I can't help but be a little paranoid.
Can anyone calm my fears? :(

Just this morning since he got up.
I gave him some Motrin and he's back to taking the whisk from the kitchen and having a swordfight.

What would make you think West Nile? There are many other more common things that could cause the same symptoms.

I hope he feels better soon!

Like I said, because I am paranoid. ok and maybe a smidge delusional?
Or, as I tell my husband..... it makes me all the more endearing. :)
Thank you.

Hi SQ - My Grandson just had similiar symptome - Lyme was suspected. It is a great time for it. Hs he been outside a lot? I think that I read that your kids are out of school now and I see some woods in your garden pix.

The test for Lyme is not conclusive, but the Dr. Will usually start the antibiotic immediately. My grandson showed improvement in a day or so. If it is Lyme and you catch it early you should be OK?

AC

Aww, Suzie, he's probably just got a bug, but I know why you're worried. It scares me to death when one of my kids gets sick! It's because we love them soooo much! As far as West Nile, we have it down here although it's very rare. The symptoms start out like a regular virus but they progress rapidly and include mental confusion rather quickly. Motrin would not help at all so if he's up and about, I'd say the most likely things is a regular old kid virus. But give him a kiss from me and a big hug to you, mama!

Oh boy are you in for a fun time as those boys get older!! Glad it turned out to be nothing serious, sounds like just a plain ol bug over in 24 to 48hrs.

Suzi, West Nile is more rare than you would think. Those mozzies only like really hot hot weather and they are the little teeny weeny ones. As FM told you Advil or Motrin probably wouldn't help much so the fact that he's responded to that should be the indicator you need to ease your fears. If his symptoms persist for more than a few days take him in, but otherwise, just ride it out.

is there such a thing as crazed mommy's disease? ;)

do mosquitos really "try" to sneak into your house?

Yes, they do try to sneak in, bt. And every sexual pervert on the planet has his eye on my kids. And there is tetanus bacteria on every sharp object my kids come in contact with. The list goes on and on. That's why we're crazed!!!!:wacko:

Ok you are making ME paranoid now :p I was away up in northern quebec all weekend and got bitten by god knows how many bugs (and what kinds). We came back on Sunday night and when I woke on Monday morning I had cold like symptoms, and still having them. Darnit Suzi :p

Well I could be the opposite and have crazed i dont care mommy's disease and not pay 1 bit of attention to my darlings. :-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom