"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #11
DC Grandma

Such sad news. My heart goes out to each and every one of them.
My dad and Grandfather were coal miners. Dad worked my grandmother's mine for several years until a larger company put him out of business using hydraulic mining. Dad did it by hand. That is why we left Trinidad Colorado when I was only 2 years old. Mother lost her father when she was 14 in an accident in Gallup New Mexico. He was trying to save another miner and was caught between two cars (carts?) and crushed to death.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Dove

Dove, So sorry. You can understand their grief. Everyday they had to work in there and they even said they were aware that there were things that were not right and the union didn't do anything about it. Too many things that could cause accident. From my impression that is only job they can have in that area. My uncle was coal miner and he died from some kind of lung condition. Very hard work. To have someone give good news and then change it must have some adverse affect on the families. they also said they knew 20 minutes after they told them that they were dead and waited to inform them. I am counting my blessings. No relation working in mines today.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:47 PM   #13
DC Grandma

We left Co. in 1935 so I don't have any memory of the mine. My grandfather died in 1919. He was one of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders. They had quite a write up in the paper. I have it pasted on the back of an autographed picture of Teddy that he gave to all his men. I'm sure it was a copy..not and original.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #14
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
This so so heartbreaking, watching the news. Why do such bad things happen? Do you just ever wonder why? Frustrating and unnerving. Their families, no words can comfort them. Sending my prayers and love.

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote