West Virginia Miners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I'm sure many of you have been following this story as I have. They just reported that they have found 12 of the miners alive. They had found one who had not made it, earlier today, and they said they were not holding out much hope for the others. I don't know yet what condition they are in, but I was just thankful to hear that 12 of them were found alive. It didn't say that they have gotten them out yet, but it said they were located.

:) Barbara

They just came on and announced that someone released the wrong information to the press and to the families.

They are now saying that 12 of 13 miners are desceased and the 13th, a 26 yr old, is in critical condition in a trauma unit.

Our prayers are with the families of the miners tonight.
img_210343_0_828382c27b63bff067e633a198218f00.gif

God Bless
~ Raven ~

Last edited:
So sad!!! They should make real sure of the information before passing it on. I know it's hard with that many people in the action at the time,but, it hurts that family more to be told they are alive and then so say, oh whoops, i was wrong. God bless all of them!!

such a sad tragedy. i feel so bad for the families who were put on such an emotional rollercoaster. my thoughts are with them all.

It saddens me so to hear about multiple deaths or even one death..We see this on the news and it rocks us to our souls..Just imagine, being a wife, mother, sister, brother father or mother and having this happen..I cannot imagine the pain..May all our prayers in some small way bring them just a little peace.

kadesma

I was so happy last night and devastated when I heard the news today. I hope the one survivor will be ok. That is such a dangerous job.

:( Barbara

Such sad news. My heart goes out to each and every one of them.
My dad and Grandfather were coal miners. Dad worked my grandmother's mine for several years until a larger company put him out of business using hydraulic mining. Dad did it by hand. That is why we left Trinidad Colorado when I was only 2 years old. Mother lost her father when she was 14 in an accident in Gallup New Mexico. He was trying to save another miner and was caught between two cars (carts?) and crushed to death.

Dove

Dove, So sorry. You can understand their grief. Everyday they had to work in there and they even said they were aware that there were things that were not right and the union didn't do anything about it. Too many things that could cause accident. From my impression that is only job they can have in that area. My uncle was coal miner and he died from some kind of lung condition. Very hard work. To have someone give good news and then change it must have some adverse affect on the families. they also said they knew 20 minutes after they told them that they were dead and waited to inform them. I am counting my blessings. No relation working in mines today.

We left Co. in 1935 so I don't have any memory of the mine. My grandfather died in 1919. He was one of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders. They had quite a write up in the paper. I have it pasted on the back of an autographed picture of Teddy that he gave to all his men. I'm sure it was a copy..not and original.

This so so heartbreaking, watching the news. Why do such bad things happen? Do you just ever wonder why? Frustrating and unnerving. Their families, no words can comfort them. Sending my prayers and love.

Back
Top Bottom