"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-06-2006, 03:22 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

What album/cassette/cd have you most listened to in your life?

i was taking my son for a ride to go pick up dinner (veal and peppers with ziti, yummm, our fave ) and i popped "the dark side of the moon" into the cd player. it was his first time listening to it; probably the millionth time that i have. it was so cool though, how he reacted. the normally tasmanian devil child that i have spawned sat quietly, almost mesmorized by the music, and he smiled every time i looked back at him, as i belted out the tunes. it was like he and i were listening to it together, just 2 guys chillin to some great tunes. nothing had to be said.

i was thinking of this tonight, and figured that "dark side" was the album that i have listened to the most times in my life. so many times that i can do (poorly) almost every sound effect, background vocal, and those odd background mumblings/voices (please tell me you hear them too ).

there is no dark side of the moon really. as a matter of fact it's all dark...

so, what recording have you listened to the most times in your life?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:27 AM   #2
Hospitality Queen

It seems every so often I come back to Peter Gabriel's "SO".
"In Your Eyes" is one of those songs I can't ever tire of.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Bucky, I think that you described your music bonding session with your son so touchingly, thank-you for sharing that wonderful memory that you now have with us. (Plus, I am 100% behind intruducing kids to great [classic] rock at a very early age!)

I pondered your question and may have to pick a band more than an album. I've been listening to the Beatles for all of my life. I wasn't born when they were putting out new albums in the 60's, but they've been an integral part of the songs which have played through out my life. More recently I would say that the CD which was put out in 2000 called "The Beatles 1" has become my most played CD. I can tie that CD alone now to several poignant memories and it has helped me through some trying time.

Others that I've played to the point where the neighbours probably wanted to come over and smash my player are Tom Cochran's "Mad, Mad World", numerous Springsteen and Clapton albums and a fair bit of CCR.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Hysteria by Def Leppard
Old 01-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #5
Master Chef

I don't really have any that I play very much now, except ones that I have burned from itunes. Pre Itunes though, my Fat's Domino record has had more mile on it than anything except my Queen and Foreigner 4 8 track's Yes, I said 8 track
Old 01-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
Hospitality Queen

Texas...please tell me you have set your 8-track free.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Texas...please tell me you have set your 8-track free.
No more 8 tracks. Although, dh found a radio with a cassette player and 8 track player in it. I've been dying to find one to see if it works and show my boys the difference in sound quality with the cd's they have.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i was taking my son for a ride to go pick up dinner (veal and peppers with ziti, yummm, our fave ) and i popped "the dark side of the moon" into the cd player. it was his first time listening to it; probably the millionth time that i have. it was so cool though, how he reacted. the normally tasmanian devil child that i have spawned sat quietly, almost mesmorized by the music, and he smiled every time i looked back at him, as i belted out the tunes. it was like he and i were listening to it together, just 2 guys chillin to some great tunes. nothing had to be said.

i was thinking of this tonight, and figured that "dark side" was the album that i have listened to the most times in my life. so many times that i can do (poorly) almost every sound effect, background vocal, and those odd background mumblings/voices (please tell me you hear them too ).

there is no dark side of the moon really. as a matter of fact it's all dark...

so, what recording have you listened to the most times in your life?
Wow bucky, sounds like you two had a great moment.Some moments are just really special. Glad you had that moment.I was Benjamin in my high school play of Joseph and his technicolour coat by Andrew LLoyd Weber(donkeys years ago!) and I bought the musical Cd and my kids sing along in the car while I am driving, and boy It brings tears to my eyes all the time. Special moments. Ohh I also love it when they sing 'mi nataka pesa. I need some cash money...' A Cd from Kenya that I play a lot.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Bucky... I'll say it again. That boy of yours is one lucky guy!
You're a great dad!

I'd have to go with a group too instead of just a single CD.
John Denver. Always and forever.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:44 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus", and Allman Brothers "Eat a Peach".
As far as bonding with my son, whose 3 1/2...he really digs my John Mayer Trio cd. It's very bluesy, a departure from the pop stuff he's done.