"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #11
Head Chef

This is a passionate subject for me. I pretty much hate all cell phone use in public.

But two pet peeves in particular: I manage a retail hardware store, and homeowners ask me for help with their problems. If their phone rings in the middle of troubleshooting the issue, and they ANSWER it instead of turning it off, I walk away. And guess what? The customers are totally oblivious to my leaving, and are fully engrossed in whatever the person on the phone is saying, even if it's "pick up a quart of milk for dinner". So discourteous.

I believe that the person you are speaking face-to-face with deserves higher priority attention than the one calling on the phone (excepting emergencies, natch).

Also, cell phones at the beach. To me, the beach is sacred ground, and chatting away on a cell phone is unforgivable.

Lee

Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #12
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
People chatting away like there is NO ONE around them, I don't need to hear about what you found on sale at Target or who is screwing around on who...STFU already!

I like the dude who re-invented the phone booth, booth, but no phone. Perfect for public space where others do not want to be annoyed by loud yappy people.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I totally agree with those people who are talking to you and answer their phone without even a nod or apology for the interuption. I alos get very confused when someone walks past you talking thinking they are talking to me just to find they are on bluetooth and chatting to the mid air.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #14
Head Chef

What annoys me most is that people think that they should have instantanious access to me all the freaking time. I turn mine off once in awhile. And unless it's an emergency kind of thing I may not return a call the minute I get the message. My choice, right? But boy oh boy, I have a couple friends that just get peeved about that. Makes me want to toss the dang thing off the deck.

Z
Old 06-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #15
Head Chef

oh oh and I HATE when I'm in a restroom and someone starts yapping away...I always think they're talking to me.

When I'm at work and someone has a phone up to their ear they don't get a drink from me until they're done. It's rude of them to make me stand there and stare at them until they are done when I have a bar full of other folks who are waiting and ready.

Z

Jeesh, I sound kinda crabby today. hehe
Old 06-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #16
Master Chef

Please, turn off your phones while you are in church. The last couple of Sundays, someones phone has gone off durning Mass. Please put it on vibrate if they need to get a hold of you!!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Yeah, that's another thing!

Even the ring tones of peoples' cell phone are annoying because they have them ring too loud!!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
I like the dude who re-invented the phone booth, booth, but no phone. Perfect for public space where others do not want to be annoyed by loud yappy people.
Hooray! Now Clark Kent will have a place again to make his transformation into Superman. Long live the phone booth!!

Or, maybe, it should be called the non-phone booth.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Own one

I don't own one and simply for the fact that I see how upsetting they are to me. If something annoys me why bother to annoy someone else? I tried to make a call from a department store. They told me no public phone in the store. A customer offered her cell phone to me. Did I feel out of touch?

As you all said, the conversations are heard all over. The neighbors across the street talk so loud I can hear them in the back yard. What is it with the cell phone? I really feel it is 'monkey see, monkey do' It is really comical. Now iPod or is it Apple coming out with something for $500. Maybe it has something that will make the person speak lower in order to have conversation. When I am in the grocery store the people who talk on the phones are shopping while t alking and it isn't about food. Must people t alk constantly? Is it a matter of security they need? What a shame!

As you all said the ones on the road at green lights are the worst! Rather sit and wait for a train than having someone ignoring the traffic light at my expense when it is 90 degrees and I don't have air conditioning. I truly wish the person who thought of this would have the aggravation we do. He probably doesn't even live here.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to obiwan9962 Send a message via Yahoo to obiwan9962
being in the restaurant biz i hate anyone that uses them in my restaurant
i have posted signs for peeps to turn theirs to vibrate and limit the call duration to a minute or two or they will be asked to leave
nothing worse than being in a nice restaurant and being disturbed by someone else's ringtone or conversation

and i must say i will walk out on a date if she does not have the respect to only answer emergency calls
anything longer than a minute or two and i walk out
elisha cuthbert or claudia schiffer or whomever