What are 5 food items no serious cook should be without???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with Katie's list. I always have all those items in the pantry. I'd add tomato/tomato sauce too, we seem to use a lot of it.

I would have to answer with oil(s), flour, eggs, salt and sweetener. Would you agree that most everything else could easily be substituted with something comparable? Or at least it would encourage some creativity... ;)

It would depend on the cuisine I cook.

If I cook Thai, I'd want kaffir lime leaves, ginger, lemon grass, red curry paste and cilantro

If I cook Italian, I'd want tomato, basil, oregano, etc

If I cook Mexican, I'd want beans, chiles, cilantro, masa...

You get the picture.

It would depend on the cuisine I cook.

If I cook Thai, I'd want kaffir lime leaves, ginger, lemon grass, red curry paste and cilantro

If I cook Italian, I'd want tomato, basil, oregano, etc

If I cook Mexican, I'd want beans, chiles, cilantro, masa...

You get the picture.

For me, Andy, yours is an "ideal" world. I don't have access to most of the ingredients you listed. Sadly, I have to use what is readily available to me, which is what drove my list.

Living rural is a challenge to say the least. I get creative and, on occasion, have to "settle for" less than wonderful ingredients.

I'm with Katie and Uncle Bob... I pretty much thought the same thing Katie did and then looked at UB's list and said "OH YEA!!!"

being in south florida i have access to more than i know how to use but as far as the very exotic items, i have no idea yet how to marry some of those flavors, but soon... soon i'm going to kick butt because im a red head and im stubborn lol... thanks so much everyone, for taking the time to chat some and i'll be adding a few things to my kitchen :)

For me, Andy, yours is an "ideal" world. I don't have access to most of the ingredients you listed. Sadly, I have to use what is readily available to me, which is what drove my list.

Living rural is a challenge to say the least. I get creative and, on occasion, have to "settle for" less than wonderful ingredients.

Katie, that's not the point I wanted to make. My post isn't about what I keep in my pantry.

I was trying to say that someone who cooks thai all the time would have a different list of essentials from someone who cooks Mexican all the time.

I stick with the usual suspects:

Olive oil
Garlic
Onion
Salt
Pepper

Sadly, Andy, nearly any type of ethnic food is difficult for me to produce. As a matter of fact, some mediocre dishes require a great deal of planning and sleuthing on my part as far as ingredients are concerned. I live in an area that has to have daylight piped in. Kind of frustrating at times, but I make do.

Sadly, Andy, nearly any type of ethnic food is difficult for me to produce. As a matter of fact, some mediocre dishes require a great deal of planning and sleuthing on my part as far as ingredients are concerned. I live in an area that has to have daylight piped in. Kind of frustrating at times, but I make do.

That's unfortunate for you guys. It's frustrating when you can't find an ingredient for a favorite or interesting dish you want to make.

How's the cracker supply?

for me its good quality olive oil, gruyere, an assortment of mushrooms, many types of fresh fish and garlic ...

oh lol and good chocolate, you never know when you'll need to whip up a sexy fondue :)

Back
Top Bottom