"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Master Chef

What are some of your favorite old movies?

I recently saw for the first time "The Godfather". I loved it! I love the old gangster/mob movies. What are some of your old favorites gangster or romance? I'm talking the old ones (with sound of course ). I also just saw "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and I highly recommend that. Another one....but I can't remember the name of it ....it was where the mother was black and the father was white and the daughter was ashamed. Oh shoot.....there was the scene where it was the funeral and as they were bringing the casket out of the church the daughter was running through the crowd and when she threw herself at her mothers casket sobbing.

NOTE: I'm not a fan of westerns......sorry!

Old 05-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Master Chef

Wow - you're definitely a "youngster" as far as old movies are concerned.

I grew up in a home where both parents were fans of old mysteries & film, & in fact have an entire room devoted to a library of mystery novels & books on film. My mom is considered an expert on old film.

I don't know how old you are, but "The Godfather" isn't even REMOTELY an "old movie". Neither is "Breakfast at Tiffanys".

If you're truly interested in old mystery films, or what is knowns as "film noir", if you get cable or satellite TV, try tuning into Turner Classic Movies. You'll find films a lot more interesting than "The Godfather".

Old 05-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Wow - you're definitely a "youngster" as far as old movies are concerned.

I grew up in a home where both parents were fans of old mysteries & film, & in fact have an entire room devoted to a library of mystery novels & books on film. My mom is considered an expert on old film.

I don't know how old you are, but "The Godfather" isn't even REMOTELY an "old movie". Neither is "Breakfast at Tiffanys".

If you're truly interested in old mystery films, or what is knowns as "film noir", if you get cable or satellite TV, try tuning into Turner Classic Movies. You'll find films a lot more interesting than "The Godfather".
Well I'm no youngester thats for sure. But I still consider these old movies. I will def. see if I have that station. Heck, I consider movies from 5 years ago as old movies.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Sizz, think the movie you're referring to might be Imitation of Life, but haven't seen that on TV in years -- nor any of the great B/W true classics. AMC (American Movie Classics channel), is a big disappointment. They just don't air the good oldies - 1940-1950s. Rent some Hitchcock, Joan Crawford & Bette Davis flicks. I saw The Godfather too (yet again) this weekend, simply because there was nothing else on - except sports & westerns. TNT is okay - but they also rerun the same old same. Rebecca & Vertigo are two of my favorites. There are too many to mention here. Use to have a film library of about 200 cassettes (w 3 films on each) I taped, but after awhile I just didn't have room for them - and tape goes bad over time. You might like Sunset Blvd. & Now Voyager. All the Wuthering Heights make me cry. Again, sadly, haven't seen the great classics aired in eons.

As far as color - I wouldn't mind seeing Apocalypse & Deer Hunter again. But, they're not true classics, IMO & definitly not romance flicks. lol

Oh yeah, if they air When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless or As Good As It Gets one more time, I'll scream, lol.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Two of my very favorite old movies are on TCM tonight, back to back - Casablanca and Dr. Strangelove. Other than the old old old gangster movies, like Little Caesar, I don't enjoy gangster movies at all. What a horrible bunch of ne'er-do-wells to showcase for all to admire and emulate.

BC
Old 05-01-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I think mish is right sizzlin, that movie was called Imitation of life, which was a very good movie. I dont consider "Godfather" as old either, but when you think about it, it is over 30 years old!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Just thought of a gangsta flick I liked - Once Upon A Time in America. It's not like your Angels with Dirty Faces/Cagney-type movies. I started watching Godfather cause, at first, I thought - at last, it's on TV. Wrong movie. Should have guessed. (The studio needed practically the entire legal dept's signatures to let a 90 second film clip go ((in certain instances)), or we'd be sued from here to eternity -- so doubt I'll ever see it on the tube.) The Onion Field use to send shivers up my spine. Liked In Cold Blood as well. That's about as gangsta as I get. lol.

For some reason, I'm compelled to watch movies about serial killers or insanity, lololol. If The Snake Pit ever comes on, take a look. It scared the heck outta me as a kid.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
Master Chef

I know this isn't considered old, but, as far as gangster movies, I have to say my all time favorite has to be Scarface!! Al Pacino is such a lunatic, you just have to love him.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
I know this isn't considered old, but, as far as gangster movies, I have to say my all time favorite has to be Scarface!! Al Pacino is such a lunatic, you just have to love him.
Gotta love everything he does. Right, Tex? Speaking of lunatic , he was great in Devil's Advocate. Serpico and And...Justice For All ("You're Out of Order, You're Out of Order. You're All Out of Order", lol), might be three of his my-all-time-favorite Pacino movies...and Godfather.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:32 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Gotta love everything he does. Right, Tex?
I know!!!