"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #10271
Chef Extraordinaire

So is anything sounding good to you?

Old 04-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #10272
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
How about a green chili with green chilies, tomatillos and pork? Cornbread works with that.
Great suggestion. I never had green chili before and I've only worked with tomatillas a couple times before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Never had butter beans??? Get a couple cans of the Bush's and try them heated with just salt and pepper...you will enjoy them. Butter Beans are dried lima beans.
ooh, lima beans? Maybe that's why I never had butter beans before. I don't like lima beans. At least I didn't used to. I'll pick up a can when I'm in the store.

Okay complexity...Stroganoff Meat loaf, the meat loaf is filled with sour cream, shallots and mushroom, served with a mushroom gravy over buttered egg noodles.
All the things I like in one meal Heck, I haven't had regular beef stroganoff in a while...

Quote:
That reminds me! Ol-blue's bacon cheeseburger meatloaf! It's delicious.

Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf Recipe

I use a whole pound of bacon.
I can't tell you how many times I've looked at this recipe, but always fall back on her meatloaf recipe that uses all the cheddar cheese
I will try this someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Then since you are having a chilly day, how about a nice big pot of beef stew? Since spring and summer are arriving really fast, this might be your last chance to make something hearty but good for a while.
Stew could work. And I've got some carrots and celery that need used up.
I'll make this later on in the week.

All great suggestions, especially the green chili because it's outside my comfort zone. That is on my list of things to make as soon as I research some recipes.
But the winner is... something I've never made before. Something that has a lot of ingredients. Something that a member here has a picture that pops in rotation every now and then and I hunted down her blog just to see what it was and bookmarked it. Something I better get going to the store to pick up everything...

C-YA

Old 04-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #10273
Chef Extraordinaire

Pac - a hearty veggie soup or beef stew would go great with cornbread.

Edit: Just read the other answers Add some hominy to the green chile stew and you have posole! Yummo!

We're heading out on a neighborhood porch crawl - 6 houses with food and drinks, proceeds to benefit the civic league and the humane society. Should be fun.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #10274
Chef Extraordinaire

It is a quiet Sunday morning and I am doing just one load of laundry. One of the benefits of living alone. I live in nightgowns and housecoats. I am all about comfort. I spent too many years having to get up early in the morning to get dressed up and head out the door for work. I now only get dressed if I have to leave my apartment. It takes me two weeks to build up just one load for the washer. And it is all whites or light colors. I only have three pairs of slacks that I wear that are dark colors.

Yesterday The Pirate stopped by for a couple of hours. He cleaned the kitchen and bathroom from top to bottom. He will be back next week to do the main room. I should have something in the house for him to eat. I need to check the freezer.

Yesterday I went with my daughter to have my hair cut off. And I mean 'cut off'. The last time I had it cut was last August before my daughter had her surgery. So it had grown quite a bit. I have very thick hair and when it grows out, I have enough hair for two people. Once it is down on my neck, I can't stand it. It grows so fast. And the top makes me look like Bozo the Clown. There is so much hair that there is no way I can make it lie flat. Now if I could just make it so that ALL of my hair turns all white instead of the salt and pepper in part of it.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #10275
Chef Extraordinaire

Here are my ingredients (the snails are appetizers).
The packages in front contain shrimp and mussels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	17728  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #10276
Certified Pretend Chef

Snails for the appy, shrimp and chicken gumbo. Use the mussels tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #10277
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Snails for the appy, shrimp and chicken gumbo. Use the mussels tomorrow.
I had gumbo on my mind...
Spanish Paella. I've got two recipes I'll be working from. I'm looking forward to it. A nice one pot meal
Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #10278
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I had gumbo on my mind...
Spanish Paella. I've got two recipes I'll be working from. I'm looking forward to it. A nice one pot meal
I should have seen that because of the saffron. Charge your camera battery.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #10279
Chef Extraordinaire

Good idea. It's in the charger.

Andy, do you think this could be cooked in a CI skillet, or will the CI retain too much heat during the resting period?
Old 04-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #10280
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Good idea. It's in the charger.

Andy, do you think this could be cooked in a CI skillet, or will the CI retain too much heat during the resting period?
Certainly more than a paella pan. You could compensate by turning the heat off a few minutes earlier to compensate.

Instead of a CI skillet, how about a SS sauté pan?