What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sitting here watching the TV. We just had a tornado touch down just down the street from where I live. About 1/5 of a mile. I need to go to the store, and just hope it is not on the street I have to go on. Any live wires down and I am going to turn around and come right back home. :angel:

Oh my goodness! I hope all is well.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Addie, I try to go to the ATM every Friday and withdraw the money for the week, as if it were a paycheck, to last us until the next Friday. But DH knows that the rest of the money is sitting in the bank account and it kills him not to take it out and spend it. I keep asking "What happens when we run out in the middle of the month" and he doesn't have an answer. He knows my way works!

I am still waiting around the hospital because my blood levels are low. Good news though, the kids and mom are together in their own home. They may be up to see me later. They will definitely be part of our lives now.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Picked up Beagle from the vet, she had her teeth cleaned and is still a little groggy. She also got a mani-pedi. She's crashed out in her sunbeam now.

I am still waiting around the hospital because my blood levels are low. Good news though, the kids and mom are together in their own home. They may be up to see me later. They will definitely be part of our lives now.

Bummer. What are you waiting for?

We're driving back home from the in-laws'. We'll be spending the night in West Virginia. I was just looking up a place to eat dinner on Yelp. The Dish Café in Daniels sounds good.

The doctor just came by and has ordered more blood work in 2 hours. if it is up I go home if it's down I go back into surgery. He thinks it will be okay.

Dawg, I used to have a sunbeam I could crash on! Midnight (first kitty) and I would lay on the living room floor every morning after the kids went off to school. Nowadays I have neither a kitty to lay with nor the flexibility to get up off the floor without using too much effort!

I'm catching my breath between laundry and bill issues. I got two collection notices! :ohmy: One was an *oops* on the part of the doctor's office and I had proof that I should not be showing a balance owing. The collection agency said that bill had been cleared up through an internal credit AND I made "Zack" promise that I will get a letter stating that same thing. The other? *sigh* The service was rendered 5-2013, but the danged hospital didn't send us a bill until 3-2014! By that time our COBRA had ended and our insurance provider had changed. With a long history of insurance payments being made for these lab services in the past I asked the hospital to request a re-submission because I thought the bill sent the insurance company might have been encoded wrong. Did they? Nope, they went ahead and send us a second bill and then passed it on to the collection agency before I could call again to see why they weren't doing their job! "Zack" said he'd made sure to get it re-submitted and we'll go from there. I have no objection to paying for a bill we rightfully owe, but my past experiences with these bills lead me to believe we should be paying no more than half of the $190. Um, maybe all of that should have been put in the petty vents thread? :huh:

Now it's off to prep a few things for supper. I get happy when I cook and eat!

Being fairly artistic, colours are important to me. I didn't realise that when I planted a pink hydrangea plant near a japanese acer (dark red/copper leaves) that it would be a bit of a colour clash. It has settled in so didn't want to uproot it.

I thought something blue inbetween these 2 clashing coloured plants would be a good idea. However, I couldn't get blue flowers to grow inbetween them so I hit on the idea of covering a long wooden post with some bright blue cloth to go inbetween them and be complimentary! Result! :)

You don't want to rush home with that problem hanging over your head. Been there, done that. And paid for it the next day. Got rushed back in and instead of the one pint they wanted to give me and I refused, I ended up needing two. :angel:

The doctor just came by and has ordered more blood work in 2 hours. if it is up I go home if it's down I go back into surgery. He thinks it will be okay.

Is this for hemoglobin/hematocrit? How can it go up without treatment? And how can surgery help? Does the doctor suspect internal bleeding?

I decided to get started on my grocery list. It doesn't look like my feuding store is going to be in operation for my regular monthly shopping spree. So the store that would be next in line, their new circular doesn't start until after the first of the month. And the other store has prices so much higher. I was looking at their circular and what they had on sale, had only two products I would even consider buying. Their circular runs from the 31st and ends on August 7th. I am not happy. I will have to learn a whole new store, maybe two, and not save as much as I would at my feuding store. I gave up with the grocery list.

Today I had to go to my first choice store and went by some of the area that got hit by the tornado. I didn't realize just how close to my building it had done damage. Very unnerving. At first they said it was an EF1. They upgraded it to an EF2. :angel:

Is this for hemoglobin/hematocrit? How can it go up without treatment? And how can surgery help? Does the doctor suspect internal bleeding?

Ditto what GG said. Didn't you ask questions? And why more surgery? Wouldn't they be willing to try a blood transfusion instead of surgery? I would think twice and want more information before I would let them do another surgery on me. What did they get wrong that they have to correct with another surgery? Surgery should never be taken lightly. Just because you are up and on your feet, doesn't mean an appendectomy is not a serious surgery. Any invasive procedure in an insult to your body. Even if it saves your life. :angel:

yes it is hemoglobin. It went up from 99 at 9 am to 108 at 4 pm. If it was down again he was going to go in and look for bleeding. They will give me an iron shot before I leave. The nurse is checking with the doctor to make sure I can leave.

Ditto what GG said. Didn't you ask questions? And why more surgery? Wouldn't they be willing to try a blood transfusion instead of surgery? I would think twice and want more information before I would let them do another surgery on me. What did they get wrong that they have to correct with another surgery? Surgery should never be taken lightly. Just because you are up and on your feet, doesn't mean an appendectomy is not a serious surgery. Any invasive procedure in an insult to your body. Even if it saves your life. :angel:

Addie, I am very proactive with my healthcare. it is just hard to write everything here specially on a phone. it is all under control and I will not be getting a transfusion or surgery. I am going home soon.

Addie, I am very proactive with my healthcare. it is just hard to write everything here specially on a phone. it is all under control and I will not be getting a transfusion or surgery. I am going home soon.

Here's hoping it is just a transfusion and not surgery. Take care of yourself. We all care. :angel:

An update on Poo

Poo is now home. He called me to let me know. He is doing four things. Going to the bathroom, making sure he has plenty to drink, taking his meds and giving himself the prescribed injections of antibiotics, and resting. His friends have been taking turns doing his laundry, bringing him food and running any errands he might need done.

He told me when his boss, the head doctor of the hospital where he works got word that he was down in New Jersey and ready to come home, he pulled out his checkbook, wrote a check and sent three of his co-workers down with enough money to pay for the gas for their car down and back and for Poo car along with any other expenses that may arise such as food. One of the guys drove his car back for him. Poo was in the other car. The two friends in that car took turns driving, while the other one was in the back seat with him to make sure to keep an eye on him. It was that long drive back that created the conditions for the blood clot to form on top of the pneumonia. The next night after he got home, he felt a horrible pain in his back and knew right away that something bad had happened and something was terribly wrong. He got into his car and drove himself to the hospital. It was only 15 minutes away. To call for an ambulance, wait for it and then get him loaded and then the drive to the hospital, it would have been at least 25-30 minutes.

So he is on a blood thinner, and antibiotics for the pneumonia. He will see his pulmonary doctor and the blood doctor in one week. It will be several weeks before he can even consider going back to work. And he has sent notices to all the little side work he was doing at a lot of the small hospitals in his area. He has always done a lot of voluntary work. That will have to stop. He ran himself into the ground.

The day before Thanksgiving, he was all set for a family dinner. His wife told him that she wanted a separation. He left the house that night. Ended up having Thanksgiving with his friends in Vermont. During this crisis, he called his wife to let her know what happened and to talk to his son who is five. He has been taking him every weekend and sometimes even longer since all this crap fell down on him. He wanted to let him know why Daddy couldn't take him for a while. His wonderful wife, never once asked him how he was doing every time he called to talk to his son. All she wanted to know was "when are you going to send any money?" Nice wife. I had hopes that with counseling, that they might be able to repair their marriage. I hate to see anyone's marriage fail. Her parents are furious with her. She wants to get back together, but on her terms. After this with her attitude, it "ain't goin' to happen!"

So there it is. I feel much better, except for the miserable news regarding his marriage. :angel:

yes it is hemoglobin. It went up from 99 at 9 am to 108 at 4 pm. If it was down again he was going to go in and look for bleeding. They will give me an iron shot before I leave. The nurse is checking with the doctor to make sure I can leave.

Do you mean ferritin? Hemoglobin doesn't require iron and I don't think the measurement goes up that high.

I'm glad to hear you're going home soon :) The hospital is no fun, that's for sure.

Do you mean ferritin? Hemoglobin doesn't require iron and I don't think the measurement goes up that high.

I'm glad to hear you're going home soon :) The hospital is no fun, that's for sure.
I am not sure - the surgeon talks so fast. But all I know is whatever he was looking for went up and I got to go home. I didn't have a shot, a transfusion or surgery. I left about 5:30 and got home at 6:30.

The reasoning behind a possible second surgery was that there was extra bleeding during the first and he was worried it was seeping. But my vitals were fine and I was feeling great. He was just being extra cautious, which, after some of my other experiences was refreshing.

Well, I think I will cuddle with my fur kids and go to bed. Night all. I am glad this experience is all over.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom