"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #10291
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Good suggestion, but I've got two bags of my last batch of chili still in the freezer.
Can you think of anything else cornbread would go well with other than the usual fried chicken? I haven't had cornbread in a while. Good call, even if I just serve it with butter and honey on it
Cornbread makes a wonderful base for sausage gravy. Especially if it's buttered.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #10292
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Cornbread makes a wonderful base for sausage gravy. Especially if it's buttered.
The leftover cornbread is great buttered and fried/toasted slowly in an old CI skillet!

Bacon grease instead of butter is not bad either!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #10293
Assistant Cook

Peeling onions and garlic.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #10294
Chef Extraordinaire

Yum! I'll keep it in mind for a sausage and gravy base! Perfect.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #10295
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Benign! That is a word I keep in my mind and heart constantly. It sounds like hitting the biggest lottery ever.

I am so glad you are back. I kept worrying about you constantly. There is a wall that all surgical patients hit around three in the afternoon. They become exhausted even if they were doing nothing all day. Nap time! Give in to it. Listen to your body. It will tell you what you can and cannot do. Each day you will feel better. Once the staples come out, you will start to really heal in a hurry.

Do not allow yourself to start to feel down. It is a hard place to come out of. And don't push yourself. It takes time to heal. Your body has been invaded and it doesn't like it. The pain is your body's way of telling you, "No, you can't do that. I need to heal and you are doing something that will impede me. So Stop!"

We are all so happy that it went so well. Sounds like those doctors knew what they were doing. Those pounds will come off really quick once you start to heal fast. When you have the energy to start walking and doing small things, the weight will fall off.

Don't try to diet at this time. Your body needs the nourishment of food and all the good nutrients it has. Once your body has healed then you can start thinking about your diet again.

Remember, everyone here as well as your family is ecstatic that all went well and you can use the word "BENIGN!" The most beautiful word in the English language.

For you For your daughter For your husband . And one for the doctors.
Thank you Addie, you are the best!

I am finding it difficult to keep a happy attitude about things. They all tell me I expect to much to soon. Easier said than done. Plans to try to go for a walk tomorrow of the weather cooperates. I know I have to stop wallowing in this self pity trip I'm on. It makes me sick to see how dh has the whole weight of the business on his shoulders. He is exhausted all of the time & I cannot help but feel guilty about it.
Better days ahead.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #10296
Master Chef

I got up early and have been culling out some of my excess stuff!

I need to push on and restore order before I lose my enthusiasm.

Someday I will learn not to buy everything I see!

Two elephants for a quarter is only a bargain if you need two elephants!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #10297
Chef Extraordinaire

I just walked across the road to get my mail, where I found the gas co marking their lines for the sewer co to start digging.
And their gas line is nowhere near where it was the last time they marked it... by like 150'
This could be interesting, since I do a lot of digging.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #10298
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Armor up...
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #10299
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Thank you Addie, you are the best!

I am finding it difficult to keep a happy attitude about things. They all tell me I expect to much to soon. Easier said than done. Plans to try to go for a walk tomorrow of the weather cooperates. I know I have to stop wallowing in this self pity trip I'm on. It makes me sick to see how dh has the whole weight of the business on his shoulders. He is exhausted all of the time & I cannot help but feel guilty about it.
Better days ahead.
Time for hubby to bring in temporary help. You will start to really feel better once the staples are out. Patience littl grasshopper, patience.

Do you think your daughter is old enough to help out at the cafe one or two days a week after school? It would be a good way for her to see exactly how the both of you work to support your lives. And it won't hurt her to pitch in. You illness right now is a family affair. It will give her a memory she will keep. "I helped out my parents at their cafe when my mother had surgery and couldn't work for a while." A story she can use for when she has kids that don't want to do chores. I am sure you don't want to burden your daughter with your problems. But sometimes we tend to protect them more than they need. Children are very resilient and are only too willing to pitch in when they are needed most. And besides, she is a part of all of this upset in your life right now.

Don't go for that walk alone. Make sure you have someone with you. After I had my gastro surgery, I thought I was well enough for a short walk. I didn't even make it to the end of the driveway. I was on my way to pick up the mail. My neighbor had to come out and help me get back to my home. And it was only about 25 feet.

Sit down tonight with hubby. Even if he falls asleep. Give the two of you some quiet time alone. Let him know how you feel. After all no one is a mind reader. I am sure he is just grateful that you are now on the road to healing and you have the word BENIGN to share.

They give patients six to eight weeks to heal. Did you think you were going to walk out of that OR and go right back to work? It takes time to heal. Both emotionally and physically. You have had a lot to deal with these past weeks. First your find out you have a mass of something that may or may not be cancerous. Then the doctors invade your body with scalpels and all sorts of instruments. They are pushing your innards around and bruising them. Your body rebels with pain. It is telling you to go slow and give yourself time to heal. You are going to be all right. After all you have that wonderful word to hang onto BENIGN!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #10300
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Great words, Addy.

(((Hugs))) SB.