"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #10341
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I'm telling ya, Munky, it's getting to the point where it seems vets only want to treat healthy animals.
They all have this tiered pricing where they charge more if your pet is sick, whether they actually do anything special, the office visit lasts longer or not. No wonder so many pets go without treatment.
I'm actually in the process of finding a new vet/hospital because my regular vet retired a year ago. His old business turned into an instant cash register without him there to instill his common sense.
The whole state of veterinary medicine ticks me off.

I'd like to hear what they find out though.

That said (whew), It was gorgeous here today and after my mower broke down I went for a ride to my usual haunts. I found out that one of the owners of the shops I visit died of a heart attack a month ago. Real nice guy. What a shame. I probably last saw him just a week or so before it happened.

I proceded on my "loop" and found a beautiful shape Japanese Nambu pistol dated 1944 complete with holster an all matching. That's a pretty big deal to us collectors to have the original parts that were issued with the pistol all there. Finding the ammo could be tricky right now, but I just happen to know someone that has some. He might part with a few rounds.

Then when I got home I saw part of my yard had been finished being mowed where I had started! With the mower being fixed I finished mowing. I suppose tomorrow I will call them and ask them what was wrong. I'm glad it was something simple and they could fix it here. I'm not looking forward to the bill though, lol.

So now I'm hanging out and catching up
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #10342
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Munky, Pac, that's terrible about the vet service Sure hope your baby is OK, Munky. Thankfully we have decent vet service here, but it's also expensive.

Sounds like a very fulfilling day for you, Pac!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #10343
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs) Munky. I sure hope everything turns out well with Sophie.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #10344
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
(((Hugs) Munky. I sure hope everything turns out well with Sophie.
+1. I hope she is ok.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #10345
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm telling ya, Munky, it's getting to the point where it seems vets only want to treat healthy animals.
They all have this tiered pricing where they charge more if your pet is sick, whether they actually do anything special, the office visit lasts longer or not. No wonder so many pets go without treatment.
I'm actually in the process of finding a new vet/hospital because my regular vet retired a year ago. His old business turned into an instant cash register without him there to instill his common sense.
The whole state of veterinary medicine ticks me off.

I'd like to hear what they find out though.

That said (whew), It was gorgeous here today and after my mower broke down I went for a ride to my usual haunts. I found out that one of the owners of the shops I visit died of a heart attack a month ago. Real nice guy. What a shame. I probably last saw him just a week or so before it happened.

I proceded on my "loop" and found a beautiful shape Japanese Nambu pistol dated 1944 complete with holster an all matching. That's a pretty big deal to us collectors to have the original parts that were issued with the pistol all there. Finding the ammo could be tricky right now, but I just happen to know someone that has some. He might part with a few rounds.

Then when I got home I saw part of my yard had been finished being mowed where I had started! With the mower being fixed I finished mowing. I suppose tomorrow I will call them and ask them what was wrong. I'm glad it was something simple and they could fix it here. I'm not looking forward to the bill though, lol.

So now I'm hanging out and catching up
Isn't it crazy how hard it is to get ammo right now. We are planning on shooting this weekend because the weather is supposed to be nice, but we need to find someone who has some ammo first. It gets harder all of the time.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #10346
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Isn't it crazy how hard it is to get ammo right now. We are planning on shooting this weekend because the weather is supposed to be nice, but we need to find someone who has some ammo first. It gets harder all of the time.
It's terrible! Good thing I have a stash, but not for 8mm Japanese ammo
Reloading supplies are terrible to find, too.
I don't know how these ranges or people who shoot a lot or compete for a living are making out. It's mind boggling this dry spell has lasted so long.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #10347
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
It's terrible! Good thing I have a stash, but not for 8mm Japanese ammo
Reloading supplies are terrible to find, too.
I don't know how these ranges or people who shoot a lot or compete for a living are making out. It's mind boggling this dry spell has lasted so long.
Not finding any stray brass at the range any more either. Somebody must be able to reload.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #10348
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,287
She's going to have one heck of a headache.

After we had left they went it to get her for the exam. Her right nostril was bleeding. That wasn't happening while she was home. Mucus was clear. They had to do the blood work to see if she would be ok to be sedated. Once that was done, they did the scope.
He said every time he thought he had it tight it slipped farther up. It was moving fast. The surgery took a little longer than he had expected. When he did get it pulling it out tore her nasal passage even more. The nosebleed should stop within 24hrs. He gave her an anti inflammatory injection to stop that. A shot of antibiotics.

He checked her ears to. Found 2 more foxes in her right ear. 1 in the left that was inflamed. They shaved her ears, gave her some drops. Put packing in the keep anything else out for the rest of the day. She never indicated to any of us that it was bothering her. We didn't know.

We can pick her up in an hour or so. He says she's in a really bad mood. HEHEHEE That's my girl. It's normal for her to be a little sassy. She is MY girl.
Rest and quiet when she gets home. No food for the rest of the day. Keep the rooms dark.
Antibiotics and ear drops twice a day for a week.

Now I have to go and fluff up her pillows. She's a primadonna. Worth every dime. Guess I have a cute fuzzy cold nosed bunk buddy tonight.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #10349
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Awww, Sophie. You take it easy, and listen to your mama. That is, if you can hear her through the packing....
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #10350
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Not finding any stray brass at the range any more either. Somebody must be able to reload.
After my last experience at a public range I don't know...
There were about four or five of us plinking at paper failry close to the targets. Nothing major, but we probably had 50-100 rounds of empty brass on the ground, most of it we knew who was shooting what.
Next thing you know this guy comes out of pretty much nowhere while we had walked back and were reloading under the roof. He was there, but not really doing much shooting, just kind of standing around watching, and he starts picking up everybody's brass and putting it in an empty cup. I'm like, "Hey, what's going on here?" "Oh, this brass is worth good money right now." I said, "I know, why do you think I save it?"
Goofball... I wouldn't doubt people hit up ranges just for the scrap brass anymore, whether they reload or not.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.