What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm working on jogging tomorrow...still not running, maybe in a couple more weeks. I can't walk any faster without breaking into a jog and so far my heart is handling it.

I am home and slept pretty much all day. I still have pain where my appendix was removed but they ruled out infection. The area is inflamed, but the doctor decided it was just my "chronic pain" (which it isn't) and released me. Which is okay. I only wanted to rule out bleeding or infection and we did. I will be seeing the original surgeon the week after next and my own doctor this week.

Violet and Monkey were sure happy to see me even gone just one night. They have been cuddling and snuggling with me since I got here.

But right now Vi is sulking on her bed in my studio. She wants her 8pm treat and it is only 7:49 :LOL: Monkey lets her "big sister" do all the work and then makes sure she is first in line to receive the treats!

Hang in there, Laurie, and let Violet and Monkey take care of you.

I'm taking a break from canning duties for a few minutes. There are 12 half pints and 3 pints of homemade oven roasted tomato sauce cooling and, after lunch, I'll pressure can a slew of Italian green beans.

Let the games begin!

We just pulled in from spending the weekend in Minneapolis with Baby Bro and his family. What a neat city. We had dinner on the lake with cousins last night, including smoked pulled pork. Beagle managed to find the shoulder bone in the garbage, which was bigger than she is, and had a very nice snack of her own before she was discovered. Absolutely no remorse was shown.

Hang in there, Laurie, and let Violet and Monkey take care of you.

I'm taking a break from canning duties for a few minutes. There are 12 half pints and 3 pints of homemade oven roasted tomato sauce cooling and, after lunch, I'll pressure can a slew of Italian green beans.

Let the games begin!

Katie I wish I was canning again. But specially right now, I don't have the stamina. Maybe next year!

As for letting Violet and Monkey look after me, they are doing a great job. I woke up this morning with Monkey curled up behind my neck. She has never done anything like that before! And Violet was beside me on her bedroom bed as always.

Katie I wish I was canning again. But specially right now, I don't have the stamina. Maybe next year!

As for letting Violet and Monkey look after me, they are doing a great job. I woke up this morning with Monkey curled up behind my neck. She has never done anything like that before! And Violet was beside me on her bedroom bed as always.

Oh, Laurie, how sweet. I remember when my furry children snuggled with me so sweetly. Enjoy and be healed by their love. Their love and affection does heal.

I'm about trashed from a day of cleaning veggies and canning.

So far...12 half pints, 3 pints of oven roasted tomato sauce, 17 pints of Italian green beans, and 1/2 half bushel of Italian green beans cleaned and ready for canning, plus a huge bag of corn to either be scraped from the cob and canned or frozen. Depends on my stamina and the room in the freezer.

When I see a suicide as Robin Williams, I lose sleep. I'm up and so grateful for everything and everyone in my life.

I'm thinking how I can be a better person. Hopefully I'll figure that out.

When I see a suicide as Robin Williams, I lose sleep. I'm up and so grateful for everything and everyone in my life.

I'm thinking how I can be a better person. Hopefully I'll figure that out.
I had 3 close encounters with death in my 20s (all accidents) and have been grateful to be alive ever since...every day.

I adored Robin Williams and he is a huge loss - Hollywood is in mourning. He was an exceptionally gifted stand up comedian. I used to do stand up comedy so I was in particular awe of his inspired, highly colourful comedic deliveries.

My favourite film is The Fisher King - an epic film that deservedly won an Oscar.

I am sitting here lamenting. This has to have been the worst summer I have had in years. I get this stinking nasty cold at the end of June and spent all of July inside my apartment as I didn't want anyone to catch it. The cough is still lingering and now I have developed sciatia in my left hip. Fortunately it is not too bad, but enough to keep me off my feet. Bed rest and heat. I considered going to Winthrop for a steroid shot in my hip, but I think I can do this one my own. The heat seems to be doing the job. Then yesterday (I think due to all this health stress) I start to get some serious chest pains. I gather everything I am going to need to take to the hospital. I finally sat down, took a good size spray hit of the nitro and took a number of deep breaths. Fortunately I didn't start to cough during all of this. If I had, I would have hit that button as fast as I could. I have the "Help I have fallen and can't get up", thanks to Winthrop. All their home patients have it.

All I want is to feel good. Not great, but just good. When someone asks, "How are you," I want to be able to say "Fine!" I was so looking forward to the summer. Even the weather has been against me. No real warm days where I can sit outside and get some nice warm sunshine falling on me. Some treese are already showing colored leaves. And now here we are in the second half of August and soon it will be Fall. Today, I am feeling fine! I think.

But I did get one really good piece of news today. My granddaughter sent me an email asking for my phone number. She just wants to talk to me. She misses me. This kid is one heck of an artist. She has painted murals in her home and has even sold some of the stuff she has done. But not enough to support herself. So she holds down a fulltime job as well. She is the middle daughter of my daughter that died. And very special to me. Until she was adopted I took care of her for quite a while. Along with her younger brother and older sister. I should be hearing from her today.

End of lament. Thanks for listening. :angel:

Hang in there, Addie!

We are now post-gnat season (the supposed 2 week period that started in May and finished yesterday, even my math is better than that) and it's been too dry for mosquitoes lately, so I actually was able to get some weeding and yard work done without bathing in 2 types of insecticides! Obviously I'm in for a tick check and a shower.

I am sitting here lamenting. This has to have been the worst summer I have had in years. I get this stinking nasty cold at the end of June and spent all of July inside my apartment as I didn't want anyone to catch it. The cough is still lingering and now I have developed sciatia in my left hip. Fortunately it is not too bad, but enough to keep me off my feet. Bed rest and heat. I considered going to Winthrop for a steroid shot in my hip, but I think I can do this one my own. The heat seems to be doing the job. Then yesterday (I think due to all this health stress) I start to get some serious chest pains. I gather everything I am going to need to take to the hospital. I finally sat down, took a good size spray hit of the nitro and took a number of deep breaths. Fortunately I didn't start to cough during all of this. If I had, I would have hit that button as fast as I could. I have the "Help I have fallen and can't get up", thanks to Winthrop. All their home patients have it.

All I want is to feel good. Not great, but just good. When someone asks, "How are you," I want to be able to say "Fine!" I was so looking forward to the summer. Even the weather has been against me. No real warm days where I can sit outside and get some nice warm sunshine falling on me. Some treese are already showing colored leaves. And now here we are in the second half of August and soon it will be Fall. Today, I am feeling fine! I think.

But I did get one really good piece of news today. My granddaughter sent me an email asking for my phone number. She just wants to talk to me. She misses me. This kid is one heck of an artist. She has painted murals in her home and has even sold some of the stuff she has done. But not enough to support herself. So she holds down a fulltime job as well. She is the middle daughter of my daughter that died. And very special to me. Until she was adopted I took care of her for quite a while. Along with her younger brother and older sister. I should be hearing from her today.

End of lament. Thanks for listening. :angel:
Glad you're feeling better today, Addie. That cold has lurked around for long enough.

It's lovely that you still have contact with your granddaughter despite the adoption.

Putting together a wedding cake for a good friend's wedding tomorrow. We are so excited for the couple, they just "fit". They are one of those couples that you knew the minute that you met them that they were right for each other.

She asked me last year when they announced their engagement if I'd do the cake and I told her only if I can do it as our gift to you. My reasoning is it will be less stressful if I'm not getting paid for it. Who am I kidding, I'm still going to obsess over this thing until it hits the cake table tomorrow.

Upside, I overshot the amount of strawberry mousse needed for the cake, so I figured out what is for lunch!

Glad you're feeling better today, Addie. That cold has lurked around for long enough.

It's lovely that you still have contact with your granddaughter despite the adoption.

The three youngest were adopted by friends of the family. And the two mothers were very close friends as well. So we all kept in touch. In fact I can't tell you how many times I got a call to babysit any one of them. All five kids saw each other regularly. But the best memory they all have is the day after Thanksgiving. I would put the tree up and all the lights on. All my decorations were made of wood and child safe. So I would have ALL seventeen grand and great grand children over to decorate the tree, make cookies and have a cup of cocoa. Then when they went home, I would collapse. But I made sure they all kept in touch with each other. Then one year when my health started to deteriorate, I had to say no to the tree party. But those kids have happy memories. :)

We are about to leave for Cornwall to spend the weekend with the Mummy-in-law. I will also be meeting up with CWS. We (me and CWS) bought a half a young bull/steer and we are going to divvy up the meat. w00t!

The Feuding Employees

Well, today it got a little nasty. Since the truck drivers who are employed by Market Basket are out on the lines, the company has hired temp drivers. Now none of the employees are stopping anyone from entering the stores. Just verbally harassing them as long as they are not shoppers. They realize that for a lot of folks, MB is the only store that is available to them and have no other place to shop. So today it got nasty. The temp driver was not happy at the taunting and got out of the truck with a hammer in his hand. It was wrapped in a towel so no one would see it at first. He was going toward the walking employees. Fortunately the police got to him first before he got to anyone. I am not taking sides. But what did the company expect? :angel:

Last edited:
Well, today it got a little nasty. Since the truck drivers who are employed by Market Basket are out on the lines, the company has hired temp drivers. Now none of the employees are stopping anyone from entering the stores. Just verbally harassing them as long as they are not shoppers. They realize that for a lot of folks, MB is the only store that is available to them and have no other place to shop. So today it got nasty. The temp driver was not happy at the taunting and got out of the truck with a hammer in his hand. It was wrapped in a towel so no one would see it at first. He was going toward the walking employees. Fortunately the police got to him first before he got to anyone. I am not taking sides. But what did the company expect? :angel:
In view of comments on here I decided to go and find out what it was all about.

Well! Talk about cutting noses to spite faces! You wouldn't believe how the board are squabbling if it was a screenplay for a film.

Going AWOL

I'm off to North Wales for a few days from tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon to visit a friend so will be "on leave" until Thursday.

Toodle pip, chaps. Be good while I'm away.

Henri x

I'm off to North Wales for a few days from tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon to visit a friend so will be "on leave" until Thursday.

Toodle pip, chaps. Be good while I'm away.

Henri x

Have a great time, MC! Glad you're able to get away and visit your friend for a while. :flowers: :)

Back
Top Bottom