"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #1031
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I just peeled the onions and garlic again. I didn't hear the timer go off, so they got scorched.

Fortunately, they were almost all easy to get out, There was so much of the skins I had taken off, that I'm going to mix them with the drippings and see if it would be good for stock or gravy.

I think I'll just put this dish on hold for tonight and continue tomorrow. A night in the fridge will give those flavors depth.

The house smells wonderful! All that garlic and roasting onions.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #1032
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
My sweetheart gave me a 9-speed Kitchenaid hand mixer for Christmas and I've been having a ball "playing" with it.

Had several egg yolks left that I wanted to use up so I (used my new mixer) made some fattigmand bakkels, which turned out soooooo yummy. I had a new fattigmand cutter that I got just before Thanksgiving and I've been chompin' at the bit wanting to try it. Awesome. Made the job of cutting the cookies so much easier. I had 3 dozen cut, looped and fried in no time flat.

Now I really, really think I need to make some rosettes. Haven't made them in years and the deep fryer is all torqued and ready to roll. And I hear my rosette irons calling me. Hmmm.......

It's not as if I haven't already made a bunch of cookies. Almost 20 different kinds for Christmas dinner, but you never know when a plague of cookie-eating locusts might descend.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #1033
Certified Pretend Chef

I just handwashing a bunch of dishes (I had let the pile up a bit). SO got off early so we're off to look at and buy a DW this afternoon.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #1034
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H
My sweetheart gave me a 9-speed Kitchenaid hand mixer for Christmas and I've been having a ball "playing" with it.

Had several egg yolks left that I wanted to use up so I (used my new mixer) made some fattigmand bakkels, which turned out soooooo yummy. I had a new fattigmand cutter that I got just before Thanksgiving and I've been chompin' at the bit wanting to try it. Awesome. Made the job of cutting the cookies so much easier. I had 3 dozen cut, looped and fried in no time flat.

Now I really, really think I need to make some rosettes. Haven't made them in years and the deep fryer is all torqued and ready to roll. And I hear my rosette irons calling me. Hmmm.......

It's not as if I haven't already made a bunch of cookies. Almost 20 different kinds for Christmas dinner, but you never know when a plague of cookie-eating locusts might descend.
Your post made me smile. Years ago when I received my Kitchenaid mixer for Christmas I baked all sorts of cookies too! Then when I received the pasta attachment I made every kind of pasta I could think of. And then there is the ice cream attachment! Life is good!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #1035
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Your post made me smile. Years ago when I received my Kitchenaid mixer for Christmas I baked all sorts of cookies too! Then when I received the pasta attachment I made every kind of pasta I could think of. And then there is the ice cream attachment! Life is good!
You're right. My old KitchenAid hand mixer was a 5-speed that was gifted to me in about 1979. It's still going strong, but I've discovered that there are quite a few times when I need some extra power so.....

I love getting and playing with new toys and it's especially fun now that I'm retired. I can play as long as I want any time I want. You bet, life is good!!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #1036
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post

I just heard on the news that a large cloud of cookie-eating monsters were right behind Santa and his reindeer. You better get busy!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #1037
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just heard on the news that a large cloud of cookie-eating monsters were right behind Santa and his reindeer. You better get busy!
I'm right on it. The rosette irons are about to be fired up!!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #1038
Executive Chef

Cooking a goose based cassoulet and regretting that I do not have any Chanterelles to saute for a side dish.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #1039
Chef Extraordinaire

today i attended "babetoo's spa" silly joke huh? just means did more grooming things than i usually take the time to do. won't list all the actual procedures, aren't you glad? the up side, it always makes me feel better, even if i am a bit slippery from all the lotion. dinner next and that's it.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #1040
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
today i attended "babetoo's spa" silly joke huh? just means did more grooming things than i usually take the time to do. won't list all the actual procedures, aren't you glad? the up side, it always makes me feel better, even if i am a bit slippery from all the lotion. dinner next and that's it.
We all need self-pampering sometimes.