What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Waiting for my mom. She's staying in Charleston buying a house, my best friend is coming up here (she's staying with her) for a class and bringing mom with her. I'll have a few hours with her and then they are back to Charleston. They hope to have an answer on a house that mom has put an offer in on, mom really wants the house and it's perfect for her, so we'll keep our fingers crossed!

I have The Pirate here so he can watch The Patriots. Oh dear! Football season is here. The only part of football I want to hear is the final score. Looks like I am going to get a good nap or a lot of housework done.

I still don't have my food stamps so Spike and The Pirate are going to give me $140 in cash between the two of them. That is the amount I receive in stamps. I guess I better get busy and get my grocery list done. I will go shopping on Wednesday. I am just feeling not down, just lousy. No ambition, don't care, so what kind of day. A good day to wallow in self pity. :angel:

Waiting for some bread dough to rise. I'm trying a new recipe for garlic baguettes. I roasted 3 heads of garlic yesterday, so it should be plenty garlicky.

As long as there is time to do something, Miss Clairol and I are having a discussion. It's been a while since we visited and I was beginning to look a little "faded" around the edges, if you get my drift. In about 20 minutes I'll be back to being Glenn's dark-haired gypsy girl.

I have been given a reprieve. The Pirate went to my daughter's house to watch the game and have a feast of pasta and meatballs, sausages and whatever other meats she puts in. That means he will be bringing me a plate when he comes back tonight. I won't have to cook! I do have to wrap up some chicken legs with thighs for the freezer. Spike pick them up for only 59 cents per pound. And they are beauties. :angel:

I told my mom that the only thing that I wanted from the house was this cookbook, it's the one that I learned to cook from!

IMG_20140907_143718571.jpg

IMG_20140907_143738786.jpg

I'm so happy!

She also brought me my dad's camp journal, it's one that he started when he built his hunting camp, I gotta wait to read that, because I'll likely be a mess...

I told my mom that the only thing that I wanted from the house was this cookbook, it's the one that I learned to cook from!

I'm so happy!

She also brought me my dad's camp journal, it's one that he started when he built his hunting camp, I gotta wait to read that, because I'll likely be a mess...

What a nice mother. Mothers have a way of surprising their kids every so often. And when it is least expected. Happy memories! :angel:

I'm so happy!

Sweet. It is in better shape than the one I got from my mom a couple of years ago--that has a silver binding (duct tape).

Sweet. It is in better shape than the one I got from my mom a couple of years ago--that has a silver binding (duct tape).

I do have to get a pack of those thingys that reinforce the page holes, you can tell the recipes that I used often because they are barely hanging on!

Mine that I got from my late mom is so beat up that it needs reinforcement tape, too. I think I'll go look for some clear box-wrapping tape tomorrow. The cover is almost completely loose from the rest of the book. It's been a very loved and well used book! :wub:

I'm so happy!

That's exactly the edition I've been on the look out for.

Fantastic gift for you BC!

I do have to get a pack of those thingys that reinforce the page holes, you can tell the recipes that I used often because they are barely hanging on!
I had bought the same cookbook at an estate sale I attended with my mom around the time I graduated from high school. Well, I lost some of the pages, and had to photocopy the pages from my mom's copy. Now I have two copies--one with s/one else's mom's notes and some with my mom's notes.:LOL: I too had to get those reinforcers. What year was that one published? Maybe I have the one you want, PF.

Last edited:
I had bought the same cookbook at an estate sale I attended with my mom around the time I graduated from high school. Well, I lost some of the pages, and had to photocopy the pages from my mom's copy. Now I have two copies--one with s/one else's mom's notes and some with my mom's notes.:LOL: I too had to get those reinforcers. What year was that one published? Maybe I have the one you want, PF.

I just looked and it was published in 1969.

I want to cook a bunch of stuff from it now. Some of the recipes were a little too exotic for me as a child, or I couldn't get the ingredients in my little one horse town, now I want to try them!

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I just looked and it was published in 1969.

I want to cook a bunch of stuff from it now. Some of the recipes were a little too exotic for me as a child, or I couldn't get the ingredients in my little one horse town, now I want to try them!

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Thanks! Now I know exactly what to look for.

PF--I'll keep my eyes open when I make my rounds of the thrift stores/yard sales. If you get a copy, let me know and I'll stop looking. If I find one, I'll let you know and send it off to you (complete with any recipe cards stuck between the pages).

PF--I'll keep my eyes open when I make my rounds of the thrift stores/yard sales. If you get a copy, let me know and I'll stop looking. If I find one, I'll let you know and send it off to you (complete with any recipe cards stuck between the pages).

Thanks, CWS! Would be the find of the century for me.

Back
Top Bottom