"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #10681
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Watching my husband tally up the damage done to our car last night. As we were driving to the theatre awards function a young guy in a pick-up truck nearly T-boned us but, instead because of Glenn's driving skills, ran us off the road. Came close to rolling the car but avoided that and wound up jumping a big ditch and taking someone's mailbox off with our passenger side rear view mirror. Unfortunately, in doing so both passenger doors are roached, along with the mirror.

It's going to be a costly repair because our car is a big Lincoln and the paint is a stinker to match. Glenn says, if the insurance company gets involved, they will likely total our car. NOOOOOOOO!!! I love Speedy, named so because we acquired it so quickly. I'm hoping for the best. At least neither one of us was hurt.

We made it to the awards show and had a lovely time.
Scary Katie, glad you guys are all right! Did the driver of the pick up get caught?

Old 05-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #10682
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Scary Katie, glad you guys are all right! Did the driver of the pick up get caught?
+1

So glad you guys are okay.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #10683
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes. At first he denied doing anything, but he couldn't get out of it because of the blatant evidence left by all the skidding, torn up ditches, bashed (ruined) mailbox, the damage to our car, etc. I have a feeling he was doing something like texting when it happened because we were the only other vehicle, besides his, on the road and it was daylight, even though we had our lights on. It was overcast and Glenn, because of experience riding the motorcycle, turns on headlights as a precautionary measure under those conditions.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #10684
Executive Chef

wow Katie, we have a lot to be thankful for today, right?! so glad that you and glenn are uninjured, that 'speedy' is a large, solid car that helped keep you safe, that glenn is a skillful driver, and that serendipity was with you on this day. and let's not overlook the special reflexive reactions in near-collision situations of an experienced motorcyclist....life is yours in a special way today, Katie, hugs....

it is derby day today--have you picked the winner?:)
Old 05-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #10685
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That's good. We're lucky and he's lucky, it could have been much worse. Again, glad you and Glenn are okay.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #10686
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
wow Katie, we have a lot to be thankful for today, right?! so glad that you and glen are uninjured, that 'speedy' is a large, solid car that helped keep you safe, that glen is a skillful driver, and that serendipity was with you on this day. and let's not overlook the special reflexive reactions in near-collision situations of an experienced motorcyclist....life is yours in a special way today, Katie, hugs....

it is derby day today--have you picked the winner?:)
Thank you, yes, Speedy is a nice hulk of a car and Glenn is one of the most capable drivers I've ever ridden with, both on a bike and in a car.

Yep, you're right, it's Derby Day. No, haven't picked a winner but our silver julep cups are polished and ready. We'll be front and center in the living room when the race is on TV. It's always a great show.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #10687
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Derby Day...been waiting all week, this year I'm hoping on a jockey, Rosie Napravnik. She is funny and deserves the win, she will be atop Mylute..
Old 05-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #10688
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just got back from the local greenhouse. Only purchased 4 flats of plants, we're cutting back from our usual 8 or so. We like to pick a cruddy day before Mother's Day to avoid the crowds and get there before everything is picked over, and it worked out great today.

Got my maters, peppers, Magilla Perilla, and a bunch of other stuff. Will wait for awhile to plant, the soil is too wet and cold and it's still raining.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #10689
Executive Chef

Processed 2 quarts of ice cream- 1 quart French vanilla & 1 quart strawberry (containing 1 cup of stewed strawberries).
Old 05-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #10690
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
At $1.89/pound I would buy two roasts and slice one up for chops!
This was my first thought, too. It's the same cut. I don't understand why the roast cut from the loin would be cheaper than the whole loin... but then maybe that will be explained in the next two pages...

... or not, lol.