What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My BIL work for the Veterans, making calls, setting up pick-ups for donations. They don't pick up in our area, I don't think. We're in the wrong county. I will donate to either SA or Goodwill, but prefer buying from Goodwill because they have more things that appeal to us. The SA in our area has mostly clothes and furniture. Goodwill has electronics and small kitchen appliances and gadgets. And also a better choice of books. Also, prices are lower at Goodwill. These things may only apply to our area. Others may have different experiences.

Also, at Goodwill you can return an electronic item if it does not work. SA does not take returns. They consider that you made a donation.

Last edited:
If anyone has a story regarding the RC that is a happy one, I would love to hear it. Because all through my life I have never heard a good word about them. And in the same breath, I have never heard a bad word about the Salvation Army. :angel:

Never ever? Really?

The Red Cross doesn't charge people for disaster relief. My uncle and aunt lost their home in the tornadoes that devastated their town in Mississippi a few years ago and the Red Cross put them up in an apartment and provided food and clothing to many people in town. Here are some more stories: https://www.google.com/search?q=red....mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=nws&q="Red+Cross"

Never ever? Really?

The Red Cross doesn't charge people for disaster relief. My uncle and aunt lost their home in the tornadoes that devastated their town in Mississippi a few years ago and the Red Cross put them up in an apartment and provided food and clothing to many people in town. Here are some more stories: https://www.google.com/search?q=red....mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=nws&q="Red+Cross"

My mom was a Red Cross volunteer for decades. When someone would lose their home to fire or flood, she was right there to help them out. She would bring what were called "comfort kits" these included immediate essentials like personal hygiene products, blankets etc. She would issue them vouchers to a grocery store, and a department store like K-mart or WalMart. She would make arrangements at a local motel if they didn't have some place to stay. She would bring me along to cheer up the little ones.

She worked at a shelter set up at my high school after a big flood in a neighboring town. These people drove big Suburban SUVs into flood waters to rescue people from their homes. We worked for days feeding people and making them as comfortable as possible.

She was in Florida for 3 weeks after a big hurricane, assisting people and getting them to shelters and helping them reconnect with their families, most were elderly.

I've apparently seen a different side of the Red Cross. My mom was a volunteer and never got paid a penny for her time (other than being reimbursed for travel on that trip to FL), and there are thousands of others just like her out there.

Never ever? Really?

Really.

And like I said, I don't know what their practices are today. Thank you for posting something positive about them. It is good to hear. :angel:

My mom was a Red Cross volunteer for decades. When someone would lose their home to fire or flood, she was right there to help them out. She would bring what were called "comfort kits" these included immediate essentials like personal hygiene products, blankets etc. She would issue them vouchers to a grocery store, and a department store like K-mart or WalMart. She would make arrangements at a local motel if they didn't have some place to stay. She would bring me along to cheer up the little ones.

She worked at a shelter set up at my high school after a big flood in a neighboring town. These people drove big Suburban SUVs into flood waters to rescue people from their homes. We worked for days feeding people and making them as comfortable as possible.

She was in Florida for 3 weeks after a big hurricane, assisting people and getting them to shelters and helping them reconnect with their families, most were elderly.

I've apparently seen a different side of the Red Cross. My mom was a volunteer and never got paid a penny for her time (other than being reimbursed for travel on that trip to FL), and there are thousands of others just like her out there.

Thank you. I am glad to hear that they have turned around. :angel:

I applied to our local council of Girl Scouts for a part-time position. One of the first things I noticed was the office furniture. Remember the oak desk and swivel chair your teacher had? Well, all the furniture in their offices were from that era. It had all been donated by the Salvation Army when they first opened the council. And the SA had the same furniture in their offices also.

If you ever have a need to go to the headquarters of a charity, take a look at their furniture. It will tell you how much of each dollar goes to the charity and how much toward administrative costs and salaries. :angel:

Red Cross Reputation Bloodied Again - charitywatch.org

CharityWatch Articles from the Charity Rating Guide and Watchdog Report

The first reference shows why I have refused to receive blood from the Red Cross and why a lot of hospitals have set up their own blood banks.

The second shows a list of problems with so many of our so-called charities.

Food For Thought! :angel:

I applied to our local council of Girl Scouts for a part-time position. One of the first things I noticed was the office furniture. Remember the oak desk and swivel chair your teacher had? Well, all the furniture in their offices were from that era. It had all been donated by the Salvation Army when they first opened the council. And the SA had the same furniture in their offices also.

If you ever have a need to go to the headquarters of a charity, take a look at their furniture. It will tell you how much of each dollar goes to the charity and how much toward administrative costs and salaries. :angel:

Red Cross Reputation Bloodied Again - charitywatch.org

CharityWatch Articles from the Charity Rating Guide and Watchdog Report

The first reference shows why I have refused to receive blood from the Red Cross and why a lot of hospitals have set up their own blood banks.

The second shows a list of problems with so many of our so-called charities.

Food For Thought! :angel:

One of those is about the Salvation Army and its lack of an independent governing board to provide oversight into its operations. And I was surprised to find out that it's not an American organization at all, but is based in London. Interesting that they have "self-employed workers" who work full-time for the Salvation Army. That allows the SA to avoid providing benefits and paying SS and unemployment taxes for them.

Salvation Army Rates High on Finances but Low on Governance

The Commissioners’ Conference is the governing board of The Salvation Army USA. It consists of ten Salvation Army officers, who are all ordained ministers: the National Commander, Robert A. Watson, four territorial Commanders, and the chief national and four chief territorial Secretaries. Even though the ten Conference members are paid by the Salvation Army and work for the group full time, Lt. Col. Jones says, “technically they are not employees but are self employed and work full time for The Salvation Army.”

Many people believe that The Salvation Army is as American as apple pie but in actuality it is a global organization with its headquarters in London, England. The U.S. Salvation Army’s National Commander and governing board are appointed by the General, Paul A. Rader, who is the top ranking official at the Salvation Army International headquarters in London. The General is elected for a five year term by a group of senior Salvation Army officers called the High Council.

Last edited:
I thought everyone knew that the SA was started in London by William Booth and his wife Catherine. They started with helping homeless men. Being Protestant, I learned that as a kid. It was part of our religious training. We learned about the different Christian religious sects. SA was one of them. :angel:

Nope, I never heard that before. I didn't know it was a sect, either. Curiouser and curiouser.

Southern Baptist, Baptist Conference, Episcopalian, Eastern Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Jehovah Witness, Roman Catholic, Catholic, etc. If they aren't Jewish or Islam, then most likely they are members of a Christian sect. We studied a different one each week. The Salvation Army was one of them. We learned what their mission was and how they were funded. To this day, there are missions that still have store front places where they serve hot food and give them a place to stay for the night. The Red Kettles help fund their Angel Fund. That is the fund they have to buy Christmas gifts for children of poor families. And it also pays for the Christmas dinner spread they put on at all their facilities. :angel:

Last edited:
Put the "what-ifs" in a box and write the date on it. Set the box in the garage and if you need an item go retrieve it. In six months take the box to the thrift shop and donate it. I guarantee you will not need any of the items and you will not miss them! Good luck!

Thanks, Auntie - great idea! Funny, isn't it, that once it's gone it's as good as forgotten.

Reading the subsequent posts, I'm wondering if I should find a place where everything goes straight to the recipients. As some of you may know, just east of here is the small town of Immokalee, whose population is largely migrant workers -- produce (especially tomatoes) & citrus pickers usually underpaid and overworked -- who have great need; a good place for my stuff to go, I'm thinking.

Thanks, Auntie - great idea! Funny, isn't it, that once it's gone it's as good as forgotten.

Reading the subsequent posts, I'm wondering if I should find a place where everything goes straight to the recipients. As some of you may know, just east of here is the small town of Immokalee, whose population is largely migrant workers -- produce (especially tomatoes) & citrus pickers usually underpaid and overworked -- who have great need; a good place for my stuff to go, I'm thinking.

That sounds like a winner idea! :angel:

I'm "de-canting" the vinegars I played with this summer. Not planning on leaving the house until Friday. Captured a spot for him for 1/2 days. Hey, that gives my life some structure. Hugs...cook the BS using ingredients that are in your pantry. Cheers!

we like to donate to people far away from where we can see them abuse their local charities and welfare programs in other ways...

:)

lol, umm, i meant for the people that abuse their benefactors. not everyone who needs help, of course. but all it takes is seeing someone buy frenched lamb chops and trimmed beef tenderloin wrapped in bacon in whole foods with food stamps, and the gig is up.

Last edited:
I don't shop thrift stores often because, quite simply, my home IS a thrift shop! Close to half my non-clothing possessions are hand-me-downs. However, when visiting family or friend away, occasionally they will suggest a stop at a hospital's or ladies guild-type of thrift shop. Those keep their funds in-house to help their neighborhoods. They also seem to have the best deals. We have a couple of these stand-alone shops in towns near us. They might end up with my leftovers. But this thread has given me more to think about.

Tinlizzie, if you don't use an object but you don't want to let go because you think you might lose the memories, take a photo and use it for a little album. Picture on one side, small story about the item and the memories it brings on the other. That way you never really get rid of the thing or memories.

The one item I tend to hold onto is a gift. Even if I have no use for it. But I have found that after a few years, the giver doesn't even remember that they gave me the gift. So I seem to place more importance on that gift than the giver does. My kids have learned though, no more gifts. I don't have the room for them. :angel:

DH and I just finished staining our multilevel deck, together, and we didn't kill each other!

Back
Top Bottom