What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately more and more grandparents are raising their grandchildren due to drugs. A plethora of support groups have sprung up over the years due to this problem. And these are the folks who can least afford it. We all have small blessings, but often do not recognize them.

CG, I have found that when I have my slippers on, I shuffle around the house and slightly bent over. When I get up and put my shoes on, I stand up much straighter and walk like I have done all my life. When I have my shoes on, I can still run.

Those folks who stole into your house are the same ones who leave my wastebaskets full when I know I just emptied them. They sure get around. :angel:

Sitting here thankful that my marriage is now going to be legally recognized in NC. Now we will have the right to make medical decisions for each other. I won't have to fight his mother for 50% of the life that we've built together. The day after people in NC sent a clear message that my relationship and later marriage didn't deserve to be recognized, it was a kick in the gut, I had no idea how much it would effect me emotionally. This came after months of ads on the TV portraying us as sexual deviants, ads that insinuated that we were a danger to children, and that clergy would be stripped of their rights. It was a dark time for us. That following November, Maine voters gave our spirits the lift that they needed, and we chose there to get married in a place that our marriage would be welcome. Mainers didn't let us down, my small town welcomed us with open arms and people all over went out of their way to say congratulations. Now we're feeling a little love from NC and it feels good. Hopefully this is all over.

thanks for letting me spill my guts:)

You and Rob were the first folks I thought of when I heard the news. I know it has been a struggle for the both of you hoping against hope, that maybe your state would come around. Well, miracles do happen.

Good luck to the both of you. You both deserve all the happiness that has come your way. :angel:

And then there is this little angel that has been watching over the both of you. :angel:

bakechef, I'm so glad to hear the news! Its thanksgiving here in Canada this weekend. I'll think of you on Sunday.

Fantastic, Bakechef! Ya got me all teared up. One of these days all of our states will recognize human rights, and it looks like it might happen in our lifetime!

I spent the early hours of the morning, with siblings, in accident and emergency because our mother (now 94) had another fall. She has broken her hip bone. They are operating on her tomorrow (which surprised me, given her age) by pinning the bone. They say she has a 1 in 10 chance of dying (to not operate would make her bedridden which she would find intolerable plus bleak prospects further down the line).She should be able to walk within the next few weeks if it is a success.

(Her last fall, xmas eve, due to dizziness again resulted in broken ribs and they discovered she had pneumonia which she survived!)

I spent the early hours of the morning, with siblings, in accident and emergency because our mother (now 94) had another fall. She has broken her hip bone. They are operating on her tomorrow (which surprised me, given her age) by pinning the bone. They say she has a 1 in 10 chance of dying (to not operate would make her bedridden which she would find intolerable plus bleak prospects further down the line).She should be able to walk within the next few weeks if it is a success.

(Her last fall, xmas eve, due to dizziness again resulted in broken ribs and they discovered she had pneumonia which she survived!)

So sorry to hear about your mothers fall. I hope she will have a speedy recovery after her operation.

Thanks bakechef and Joann for your kind thoughts.

At least today she is out of pain - spaced out on morphine i.e. more confused than normal. They are thinking of operating (pinning her hipbone) tomorrow. I am staving off fretting at this stage since none of us know the outcome.

We've been driving through the mountains of West Virginia, the colors are beautiful! That is when are not driving through thick fog!

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Sitting here thankful that my marriage is now going to be legally recognized in NC. Now we will have the right to make medical decisions for each other. I won't have to fight his mother for 50% of the life that we've built together. The day after people in NC sent a clear message that my relationship and later marriage didn't deserve to be recognized, it was a kick in the gut, I had no idea how much it would effect me emotionally. This came after months of ads on the TV portraying us as sexual deviants, ads that insinuated that we were a danger to children, and that clergy would be stripped of their rights. It was a dark time for us. That following November, Maine voters gave our spirits the lift that they needed, and we chose there to get married in a place that our marriage would be welcome. Mainers didn't let us down, my small town welcomed us with open arms and people all over went out of their way to say congratulations. Now we're feeling a little love from NC and it feels good. Hopefully this is all over.

thanks for letting me spill my guts:)
YEA! That is wonderful! And no, you are not a sexual deviant. I watched a great show on PBS awhile back on the DNA associated with homosexuality. BTW, homosexuality strengthens the family tree. If it wasn't on PBS, the show was on TVO. There's the evolutionary justification for homosexuality.

I wish my brother could come out to our parents, but I understand why he doesn't. Our dad is 83 and has very fixed prejudices about homosexuals (and our mother has dementia and probably wouldn't understand--but maybe she would). I'm just glad my brother came out to me--even though I knew before he finally did. I love him to the moon and back. Nothing would have ever changed that. It hurt me that he thought he couldn't come out to me. But then, I think he thought that being that we are Scandinavian, he didn't have to come out to me, I'd catch on eventually. Or, maybe he's hoping I'll break the news to our Dad. Not going to happen. I don't want to cause either of them pain--our Dad's reaction would hurt my brother, and I don't want him hurt. Dad's too old to hope for him to change and have an open mind (he uses the "q" word). Glad you are going to be able to make those important decisions, but hope that those days are far in the future, bakechef. I also hope that your MIL will accept that you are the most important person in her son's life and with you, he is happy and complete.

Last edited:

So sorry, Creative. I read further down that she is also more confused on morphine. This is normal. My hopes and prayers that she comes through the surgery well and is able to rehab after.

bc, to the day he died, my nephew could not tell my sister. But my sister and I had lots of talks about him. She knew. Even his friends when he was in H.S. knew. And yet neither one could approach the other about being gay. But she was able to revel in his involvement in the community theatre or other activities that are considered to be "gay" activities which is what she called it. (of which I hate the reference) She lost out on a whole side of his life. And he lost out on sharing a side of this life with her. The whole family knew and we all talked about his activities. Except around my sister. So much secrecy in one family. So sad.

I can only hope that my nephew has been as fortunate as you and Rob. I hope he found that one person to share his life with. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom