"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #1071
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Wait a minute; are you opening a bottle of bubbly with a cork screw????

I saw that done with a bottle of Royale de Neuville in a Chinese restaurant once. It worked, but we all had to stifle giggles.
This cork is flush with the top of the bottle, it's really a bottle of Asti. You HAVE to use a corkscrew...we aren't dopes you know. If it had been a champagne cork, no problem.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #1072
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This cork is flush with the top of the bottle, it's really a bottle of Asti. You HAVE to use a corkscrew...we aren't dopes you know. If it had been a champagne cork, no problem.
I've never opened or even seen a bottle of Champagne opened. How and why are they different?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #1073
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,880
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This cork is flush with the top of the bottle, it's really a bottle of Asti. You HAVE to use a corkscrew...we aren't dopes you know. If it had been a champagne cork, no problem.


Isn't Asti a bubbly? Why doesn't it need a champagne style cork? Is less bubbly, sort of like Mateus?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #1074
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,880
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I've never opened or even seen a bottle of Champagne opened. How and why are they different?

Thanks!
A champagne cork looks like this:



The wire and shape of cork are to keep it from popping out of the bottle prematurely from the pressure of the bubbles.

It sticks out of the top of the bottle from just above the narrow part of the cork.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #1075
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,039
On champagne the cork is half way outside the neck of the bottle. You twist it with a towel over it and gently work the cork out. Some folks like to showoff and open it so that the cork gives a popping sound and goes flying through the air. The chanpagne immediatly starts to flow out of the bottle. You have to get it to the glass really fast. Seems like a waste of good champagne to me. Not to mention the mess it makes. Champagne should be opened with care and very gently.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #1076
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
We are celebrating New Years day at a hotel with a water park. Our daughter is inviting a friend along. Looking forward to a relaxing night in the hot tub.
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #1077
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post


Isn't Asti a bubbly? Why doesn't it need a champagne style cork? Is less bubbly, sort of like Mateus?
No idea...I found this at Costco, the price was right, it's from Italy and I bought it. We didn't know we needed a corkscrew with it until we started opening it last night.

I don't know a Mateus from a Matisse.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #1078
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,039
When my son was interviewing he went to a wine shop and got a good deal. After each interview, he bought a bottle of wine that the owner recommended and would have been very expensive. But because he was going to be buying a lot, they reduced the price. He would send a thank you note with a bottle of wine to the person who interviewed him. He would bring the note to the store and give them the address and all the necessary information. They mailed it out for him at their expense.

This child is my baby and I still find it hard to see him drinking alcohol. He is 35 y.o. He is not old enough to drink. He is not old enough to have a wife and child either. And I want to know that he is in by dark. My little .
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #1079
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
On champagne the cork is half way outside the neck of the bottle. You twist it with a towel over it and gently work the cork out. Some folks like to showoff and open it so that the cork gives a popping sound and goes flying through the air. The chanpagne immediatly starts to flow out of the bottle. You have to get it to the glass really fast. Seems like a waste of good champagne to me. Not to mention the mess it makes. Champagne should be opened with care and very gently.
I've seen them in movies where they pop the bottle open and it overflows all over the place. Seems messy and wasteful to me too.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #1080
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When my son was interviewing he went to a wine shop and got a good deal. After each interview, he bought a bottle of wine that the owner recommended and would have been very expensive. But because he was going to be buying a lot, they reduced the price. He would send a thank you note with a bottle of wine to the person who interviewed him. He would bring the note to the store and give them the address and all the necessary information. They mailed it out for him at their expense.

This child is my baby and I still find it hard to see him drinking alcohol. He is 35 y.o. He is not old enough to drink. He is not old enough to have a wife and child either. And I want to know that he is in by dark. My little .
That was my reaction when we were told the grandson and his wife were expecting.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.