"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #1071
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Wait a minute; are you opening a bottle of bubbly with a cork screw????

I saw that done with a bottle of Royale de Neuville in a Chinese restaurant once. It worked, but we all had to stifle giggles.
This cork is flush with the top of the bottle, it's really a bottle of Asti. You HAVE to use a corkscrew...we aren't dopes you know. If it had been a champagne cork, no problem.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #1072
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This cork is flush with the top of the bottle, it's really a bottle of Asti. You HAVE to use a corkscrew...we aren't dopes you know. If it had been a champagne cork, no problem.
I've never opened or even seen a bottle of Champagne opened. How and why are they different?

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #1073
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Isn't Asti a bubbly? Why doesn't it need a champagne style cork? Is less bubbly, sort of like Mateus?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #1074
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I've never opened or even seen a bottle of Champagne opened. How and why are they different?

Thanks!
A champagne cork looks like this:

The wire and shape of cork are to keep it from popping out of the bottle prematurely from the pressure of the bubbles.

It sticks out of the top of the bottle from just above the narrow part of the cork.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #1075
Chef Extraordinaire

On champagne the cork is half way outside the neck of the bottle. You twist it with a towel over it and gently work the cork out. Some folks like to showoff and open it so that the cork gives a popping sound and goes flying through the air. The chanpagne immediatly starts to flow out of the bottle. You have to get it to the glass really fast. Seems like a waste of good champagne to me. Not to mention the mess it makes. Champagne should be opened with care and very gently.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #1076
Chef Extraordinaire

We are celebrating New Years day at a hotel with a water park. Our daughter is inviting a friend along. Looking forward to a relaxing night in the hot tub.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #1077
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

Isn't Asti a bubbly? Why doesn't it need a champagne style cork? Is less bubbly, sort of like Mateus?
No idea...I found this at Costco, the price was right, it's from Italy and I bought it. We didn't know we needed a corkscrew with it until we started opening it last night.

I don't know a Mateus from a Matisse.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #1078
Chef Extraordinaire

When my son was interviewing he went to a wine shop and got a good deal. After each interview, he bought a bottle of wine that the owner recommended and would have been very expensive. But because he was going to be buying a lot, they reduced the price. He would send a thank you note with a bottle of wine to the person who interviewed him. He would bring the note to the store and give them the address and all the necessary information. They mailed it out for him at their expense.

This child is my baby and I still find it hard to see him drinking alcohol. He is 35 y.o. He is not old enough to drink. He is not old enough to have a wife and child either. And I want to know that he is in by dark. My little .
Old 01-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #1079
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
On champagne the cork is half way outside the neck of the bottle. You twist it with a towel over it and gently work the cork out. Some folks like to showoff and open it so that the cork gives a popping sound and goes flying through the air. The chanpagne immediatly starts to flow out of the bottle. You have to get it to the glass really fast. Seems like a waste of good champagne to me. Not to mention the mess it makes. Champagne should be opened with care and very gently.
I've seen them in movies where they pop the bottle open and it overflows all over the place. Seems messy and wasteful to me too.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #1080
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When my son was interviewing he went to a wine shop and got a good deal. After each interview, he bought a bottle of wine that the owner recommended and would have been very expensive. But because he was going to be buying a lot, they reduced the price. He would send a thank you note with a bottle of wine to the person who interviewed him. He would bring the note to the store and give them the address and all the necessary information. They mailed it out for him at their expense.

This child is my baby and I still find it hard to see him drinking alcohol. He is 35 y.o. He is not old enough to drink. He is not old enough to have a wife and child either. And I want to know that he is in by dark. My little .
That was my reaction when we were told the grandson and his wife were expecting.