What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am living the total adult life. I can now do anything I want. If I would rather sleep during the day and stay up all night I do. If I want to eat dessert, I do. Sometimes I just have pickles for a meal. YUM! Sometimes I only eat a veggie, and sometimes only a meat. I live alone and there is no room for any one to move in with me. No more tippy toeing because someone is sleeping late. No more making lunches for school or work. I can spend all my time doing crafts if I want. And guess what. When you come to visit me, I don't have any chairs for you to sit on. And that is by design. I do have a table, but that is for my crafts. Sound selfish? Certainly. But it is my time in life. And that is one of the benefits of getting old. I raised and launched five kids. My job is done. YEA!!!:chef:

Me too, Addie! My remote control is MINE now. When I retired, I decided to retire from other people's drama. Like you said, selfish? Yeah! It's my turn.

I'm catching up on some household chores and in-between reading some of my favorite magazines (don't get English magazines here in Moscow so they get posted over once in a while) Saveur, Conde Nast, National Geographic, National Geographic Travel:)

Me too, Addie! My remote control is MINE now. When I retired, I decided to retire from other people's drama. Like you said, selfish? Yeah! It's my turn.

I don't think kids ever realize just how much of life they suck out of you. Your whole world revolves around them and their constant needs. The only way to recover is to become selfish when the nest is empty. It is not that we don't love them. The transition of a full house with all the noises to an empty nest is a learning period. Learning how to be selfish. Learning how to say "No" to your kids. Letting them learn by being on their own and make and correct their own mistakes. Sometimes it is difficult to stand by and watch them go through a growing up period.

I made a chocolate cake today for a cancer patient. My daughter wanted to know how come I didn't make two. One for her and her husband. I asked her how come she doesn't make it herself. She thought I was being mean. She is the one who is more into herself. Since I moved into elderly housing, and have joined the ESP medical plan, she feels like she no longer has any responsibility for me. All my needs are being met by others. She acts like I am really putting her out if I ask her to do anything. I once asked her if on weekends when she does all her running around and doing errands, if she would mind picking me up so I could get out of the house once in a while. I can't walk far and I don't mind finding a seat at the front of a store just watching people. You would have thought I asked her to cut off her legs. She has a bunch of excuses as to why she can't stop to pick me up. I no longer ask her for anything.

Son #1 takes me anywhere I want to go without ever complaining. And at my schedule of time. Not his. He is my rock.

Son #2 drives a cab. On nights when he has a good night and gets airport runs, he stops by and gives me a $20 bill. Airport runs pay really good with tips. And the airport is only thirty seconds away from my home. Right now he is saving up so he can get an auto so he can take me out on weekends when he is not working.

Son #3 lives too far away to be of any help unless I get sick. He is my medical proxy and makes sure that when Son #1 calls him to let hm know that again I am in the hospital, he calls the hospital and goes over any treatment that is planned for me.

Son #3 has a family. And his work keeps him from visiting me as often as he would like. And I understand that. But he does call at least once a week to make sure I am feeling all right.

In spite of my kids though, I still have my freedom. And they have learned that I am not senile yet. If I choose to have no chairs, so be it. My choice. I don't bother to call my daughter anymore. Like you said, too much drama with her. I don't need or want it. Am I lonly living alone? Heck no. I am enjoying it to the fullest. :)

Last edited:
Getting ready to go into work early. Having a day off in the middle of my week has thrown my stride off...I'll be lucky to get any work done.

Trying to wake up so I can go to Swedish Auto and look at their used Volvos. I'm getting a new (to me) car. Doing a happy dance. I hope they have just the right Volvo. It's the place I get my Volvo serviced. They sell used Volvos and Saabs, but I want a Volvo.

I just got up and am trying to plan my day. I have to stick around the house as I am waiting for a phone call then delivery from the crematorium. Once I have that I can copy the death certificate and take Dad's income tax in.

I also need to skim my beef broth I made yesterday and package it for the freezer, make some vegetable broth and pick up the items for tonight's dinner.

Trying to wake up so I can go to Swedish Auto and look at their used Volvos. I'm getting a new (to me) car. Doing a happy dance. I hope they have just the right Volvo. It's the place I get my Volvo serviced. They sell used Volvos and Saabs, but I want a Volvo.

I think I found my new car: Pre-Owned Volvo & Saab

Going to bring DH along tomorrow and take it on a longer test drive.

:w00t2:

i just finished making a beanbag toss box and a ring toss game for cub scouts tonight. i'm lucky to be able to get a lot of scrap plywood from work before it gets tosed out. this week was good, heavy duty 1/2" and 3/4" plywood that must have been the scraps leftover from building a control room console.

Just getting over 4 days of a terrible cough and a little bit of flu throw in just to make it really miserable. But I am finally feeling a little better.

Lord know you must have your Stride-Rite.

It was a tough day, trying to get in the groove and get things done. Normally I would have chosen to work it and taken Friday off...but that would have left no one in the office on a Friday...not good. I got a lot done, just not what I wished to get done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom