"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #10791
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's certainly a big concern, TL.
You've gotta hit those numbers without looking, although you would probably get used to a new one.
I'm looking elsewhere to see if I can get a decently priced laptop with a decent numeric keypad. I bet the guys who came up with that clever idea don't "touch type" their numbers. Stirling bought a new laptop about a year ago and his has full sized keys.

I was wondering why gamers would want full sized numeric keys, but Stirling pointed out that the numeric key pad is often used for going left or right, etc. in games.

I'm old enough that I don't want to have to learn this again.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #10792
Chef Extraordinaire

TL why do you use a laptop as to a desk computer? I hate using a laptop. I hate their mouse and the feel of the keys. I guess it is what you are used to. Sorry about your LT. Here's hoping you find just what you are looking for at a really great price. Have fun installing all your software AGAIN!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #10793
Executive Chef

what size are full sized keys?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #10794
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm looking elsewhere to see if I can get a decently priced laptop with a decent numeric keypad. I bet the guys who came up with that clever idea don't "touch type" their numbers. Stirling bought a new laptop about a year ago and his has full sized keys.

I was wondering why gamers would want full sized numeric keys, but Stirling pointed out that the numeric key pad is often used for going left or right, etc. in games.

I'm old enough that I don't want to have to learn this again.

That's a skill I had to develop right out of college when we had 10-key desktop "adding machines" at my first job.

You have to have ten key pad on your computer. There may not be enough demand for what you want so stores don't display it. Check online at the computer manufacturers' websites.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #10795
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's a skill I had to develop right out of college when we had 10-key desktop "adding machines" at my first job.

You have to have ten key pad on your computer. There may not be enough demand for what you want so stores don't display it. Check online at the computer manufacturers' websites.
Gee Andy, in HS I took the Secretarial Course and one of the classes was Office Machines. I remember them. We were timed on how fast we could key in the numbers as the teacher called them out. I had typing in the ninth grade. Then I changed schools and you started typing in the tenth grade. So I already knew my keyboard and had my speed of 65 wpm. As a result I got to take Office Machines twice a day. Got my speed and accuracy up there really fast as my fingers were already flying from the typewriter. Plus having taken piano lessons over the years didn't hurt either.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #10796
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I have already started looking online. I suspect that the guys who came up with this brilliant idea don't really use the numeric keypad. But, even my computer geek husband uses the numeric keypad without looking and touch types.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #10797
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
TL why do you use a laptop as to a desk computer? I hate using a laptop. I hate their mouse and the feel of the keys. I guess it is what you are used to. Sorry about your LT. Here's hoping you find just what you are looking for at a really great price. Have fun installing all your software AGAIN!
I have a desk top computer in my office. I'm using it right now. I use the laptop in the living room, where I can sit comfortably on the sofa. I also use the laptop at the homes and offices of clients. The laptop was newer than the desktop machine and more powerful. Laptops have come a long way.

I don't even bother with the mouse. I just use the touch pad. If I wanted to use a mouse, I could buy one that I liked.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #10798
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Taxy, you could also just get a keyboard with a number pad you like, and just plug it into the laptop.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have just the number pad available by now.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #10799
Executive Chef

have you given any thought to a color for your computer, taxy? your grounds look lovely laced in purples and lavenders. i mean, once you've dealt with the numeric keypad issue and all...just sayin' :)
Old 05-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #10800
Chef Extraordinaire

First day back to work for me today after 30 days off. I only worked 5 hours with 2 breaks. It felt good to get back to work, slow going though.

I'm ready to go out & do something tonight. Dh is so exhausted after working 30, 16 hour days in a row, he is so exhausted. I'm feeling guilty so maybe I should cook.