"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #10831
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Today I did a bit of shopping and then went to mums for a chat and coffee

This afternoon I got a phone call from mum wanting me to come over, she had fallen over in her kitchen, there was some water on the floor that hadnt dried from the mopping

I jumped in the car and headed straight over there, it is only about a 10 minute drive

I gave her some Nurofen and made her a nice cup of coffee, she just wanted me there as it gave her a bit of a shock and her ankle hurt a bit and her knee and legs where she fell but she is OK!

I just get so worried when I hear that she has had a fall
If your Mum keeps having pain she needs to go in and have x-rays done. She may have a fine fracture. If this is becoming frequent get her into the doctor.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #10832
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
We all love going to museums as well. Every summer we take at least a week off from work just to get away. There are so many interesting ones. This year we have to stay a little closer to home, with all of the mounting medical bills coming in. I have been looking in Omaha, NE this year trying to find some fun ones there. We have been to the ones in town here a couple times each. A person can always seem to find something different everytime you go regardless if you've been there before.
We have a children's museum here where parents can let their kids run free once you go through the front door. It is not a daycare, they actually learn things according to their age. As a girl scout myself, we used to go there. And right next door is the transportation museum for Dad. Well, the whole family. But Dad goes crazy when he sees the 1800's cars.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #10833
Executive Chef

When we moved from Oregon to Ohio we had to shrink our inventory substantially. That meant we had to sell our gorgeous sofa.

We arrived in Ohio with 3 chairs - 2 recliners and 1 glider and that's it. So for a bit over 4 years we have not had a sofa ... was getting real tired of that !

So this morning DH decided it was a good day to begin shopping for a sofa - and when DH has the desire to shop I jump on it .. he is not a fan of any kind of shopping. We made a list of 3 places to visit today and 3 tomorrow with lunch out both days.

We only made it to 1 place .. they had EXACTLY what we would have created if we'd known there was such a critter. We decided that what we found simply could not be topped so we went ahead and bought it.

It will be here in about 6 weeks. We ordered it in a different color than what they had there.

It is the MOST comfortable sofa I've ever encountered. It has dual recliners. It is a powered sofa so the recliners are also massagers

The recline on these is from very slight to complete layout. The depth of the seat is nice ... I'm short so my feet never touch the floor on a sofa if I sit all the way back .. they do on this one .. yayyyyy !

It comes with an emergency battery pack so that if you are all reclined and comfy and the power goes out you can get out of it ... LOL I say .. to heck with that .. someone bring me a blankie !!

Then we had a very nice lunch at a local English Pub we hadn't tried yet. It was a super day here !!

So since we have about 6 weeks to wait we are going to take advantage and re-paint, clean the carpet and all that good stuff.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #10834
Executive Chef

sure would be great if you could share a pic of your new sofa, mrslmb. now you have me all excited too! it will be fun getting your place ready and painted in the meantime, while you wait for delivery....:)
Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #10835
Certified Pretend Chef

Sounds great! When you are fully reclined and the doorbell rings, you'll be painfully aware of how long it takes to get out of the recliner.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #10836
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Glad she's OK. It can be scary for older folks when they fall. It get's harder to bounce right back up from a fall when you're older.
Thank you Andy

Yes, it is scary as I worry what it does to her poor bones and back etc

She was wearing these slip on shoes that are sort of a rubbery plastic type material and would have been very slippery on the wet floor, she has said she will not wear them again whilst mopping floors!

She wanted me there as she had a bit of a shock, so I was glad I could get there so quickly for her

She stayed over at her partners last night, he came and picked her up as I didnt want her driving...I will be phoning her this morning to she how she is feeling
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #10837
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
If your Mum keeps having pain she needs to go in and have x-rays done. She may have a fine fracture. If this is becoming frequent get her into the doctor.
Thanks Fi, I will certainly be asking her this morning when I phone her how she is feeling and that she should get a check over if she still feels pain. I have no doubt she will be very sore in lots of places this morning the poor thing
Old 05-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #10838
Chef Extraordinaire

I want a recliner again...
Old 05-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #10839
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I have those thoughts from time to time.

I can't find one that will peacefully coexist with my other stuff.

I also think about getting rid of my couch so I can have more bookcases!

Funny, I never think about having any empty space!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #10840
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
We love our recliners, we have 2 single ones and one twin one...it is a 2.5

So could not imagine life without one now