"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #10851
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hi, Vit. I think it's actually a better practice to wait for an x-ray, unless the doctor can feel or see an obvious break. I fell in January and went the next day to an urgent care center, where the doctor did an x-ray. He said it was strained ligaments because the x-ray didn't show a break. A week or so later I was in my regular doctor's office for another reason and told him my foot still hurt and was swollen. He ordered another x-ray, which showed a tiny hairline fracture. Turns out, many times, a small fracture doesn't show up till you've walked on it for a while. The treatment was no different - one of those "boot" things that keeps your foot from flexing. So it might make sense to hold off on the x-ray if it's not obviously broken during the initial visit.

Just a guess Kylie may have a different explanation. But that's one of those things that increases the cost of health care - too much possibly unnecessary testing.
excessive and unnecessary lab testing is what I had in mind when I asked this question, gg. I believe our doctor's and hospital's fear of patient law suits account, at least in part, for a widespread practice of over-testing and costly duplication of medical procedures in this country.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #10852
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i hope your mum's ankle is not broken, and begins to feel better real soon, kylie. i'm curious to know the reason for the wait on the x-rays. in the u.s. x-rays would be taken immediately in most cases where a fracture is suspected as a possibility.
Thanks V

The doctors here seem to like to wait and see how it goes, as he felt around the whole ankle and couldnt feel a break or anything in the bone, so like GG said, probably just waiting to see and then x-rays are done if necessary

I have phoned mum this morning and she said the swelling has gone down a fair bit and it feels a bit better, she took a Mobic tablet last night so that would certainly have helped

Old 05-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #10853
Chef Extraordinaire

most bones don't brake cleanly, and any trauma of a bone will cause tremendous swelling that a manual examination is useless.

only an x-ray can help. waiting for a better time to do one has no merit. unless she's had a few x-rays in the past year, then there's no concern about it for any reason.

good luck with your mum, kylie.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #10854
Certified Cake Maniac

Kylie, I totally agree with Bucky. The other day I had a heavy box fall onto my wrist, which is already weak from arthritis and fibromyalgia, and it went all the way backwards. We went to the ER and they immediately did x-rays. It was twisted and the bone was bruised. I would make sure they do x-rays ASAP.

What am I doing? Enjoying a little down time in my favourite place. I will be sure to pop in as much as I can. Love to you all.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #10855
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks guys

I phoned mum tonight and she said the swelling has gone down somewhat and it doesnt feel "as" sore as yesterday, I have suggested though that she may still want to get it x-rayed though if it is still swollen at all tomorrow
Old 05-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #10856
Chef Extraordinaire

You know those farm fresh eggs my youngest son Poo is supposed to bring me? Well I am still waiting. I got my new saute pan to make scrambled eggs. But no eggs.

So I sent him a picture of some Fabrege Eggs and told him if he couldn't get me farm fresh ones, a dozen of those would do very nicely.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #10857
Everymom

On another note about the x ray thing...sometimes there is too much swelling to see if there is a break or not. Casting while swollen is a big no no as well. My eldest smushed up her ankle pretty badly sliding into second (safe though!) and we had to wait several days to get a definitive x ray.

Healing thoughts Kylie!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #10858
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We have a children's museum here where parents can let their kids run free once you go through the front door. It is not a daycare, they actually learn things according to their age. As a girl scout myself, we used to go there. And right next door is the transportation museum for Dad. Well, the whole family. But Dad goes crazy when he sees the 1800's cars.
Sounds like a fun museum. I woder if the 15 year old age group is included? We take a summer vacation every year. We close the cafe for 10 days & just go somewhere. This year with all of our mounting medical bills we have to stay a little closer to home, Omaha Ne this year, still need to check out some museums in the area. I've always wanted to go to Salem to see the witchcraft museums. It would be interesting to start a thread on what each state has to offer for museums. Anyone else game?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #10859
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Sounds like a fun museum. I wonder if the 15 year old age group is included? We take a summer vacation every year. We close the cafe for 10 days & just go somewhere. This year with all of our mounting medical bills we have to stay a little closer to home, Omaha Ne this year, still need to check out some museums in the area. I've always wanted to go to Salem to see the witchcraft museums. It would be interesting to start a thread on what each state has to offer for museums. Anyone else game?
The City of Salem has an official witch. She wanders the streets during the day. The do have a witch museum. The official seal of the city is a witch riding her broom. You see it on all the signs. Even on the sides of the police cars. I think your daughter would love Salem. It is a very old city and has some 1800 homes of whaling captains. Absolutely beautiful. They also have a park that offers swimming and all kinds of activities,. My sister and I would get some to go lunch and go sit down by the pier. You could almost imagine the whaling ships tied up there. Lots of antique shops. There is also a shipyard where they build wooden boats.

Salem also has an Iron Works museum. In front of the 1600 house, they have a garden planted with the wild herbs that the Pilgrims used. There are labels telling you what the wild herb is. I told my sister one time that instead of pulling the weeds out in her garden in front of her house, just label them.

My youngest son is now working at Boston University School of Medicine but lives forty-five minutes away. So they are talking about selling their home and moving to Salem. He lived there before and loved it.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #10860
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The City of Salem has an official witch. She wanders the streets during the day. The do have a witch museum. The official seal of the city is a witch riding her broom. You see it on all the signs. Even on the sides of the police cars. I think your daughter would love Salem. It is a very old city and has some 1800 homes of whaling captains. Absolutely beautiful. They also have a park that offers swimming and all kinds of activities,. My sister and I would get some to go lunch and go sit down by the pier. You could almost imagine the whaling ships tied up there. Lots of antique shops. There is also a shipyard where they build wooden boats.

Salem also has an Iron Works museum. In front of the 1600 house, they have a garden planted with the wild herbs that the Pilgrims used. There are labels telling you what the wild herb is. I told my sister one time that instead of pulling the weeds out in her garden in front of her house, just label them.

My youngest son is now working at Boston University School of Medicine but lives forty-five minutes away. So they are talking about selling their home and moving to Salem. He lived there before and loved it.
Sounds like a great place to take a vacation, maybe next summer.Airfare isn't affordable for us this year with all of the extra medical bills. Sounds fun though, thanks for sharing!