"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #10921
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Hunting accident. The last year PA hunters did not have to wear any orange when small game hunting. So of course no one wore any orange when pheasant hunting.
Three of us were converging where we thought a pheasant took cover. We couldn't get the dog to cross the wet area to hunt it out. I lost interest and moved about 15 yds away from where I was, or my buddy last saw me anyway. A bird flushed inbetween me and him and that's all she wrote. I took the blast OK, nothing got through my duck canvas, though it did knock me flat on my back, but one pellet hit me right above my collarbone, changed course and nicked my lung.
A few days in ICU and then the cardiac ward and I OK enough to go home, but cold air (and smoke) bothered my lung for a while.
hoo boy, pac, that sounds like it was a very close call. glad you came out alright in the end. you are wearing the orange colors now, right?

Old 05-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #10922
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Thanks PF. I haven't paid attention to horse racing for a while (obviously).
You are welcome, I only pay attention to the big three, Derby, Preakness and Belmont. I don't go to the races and definitely do not bet on them..."Why'd you pick that horse?" He had pretty eyes...

Old 05-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #10923
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
hoo boy, pac, that sounds like it was a very close call. glad you came out alright in the end. you are wearing the orange colors now, right?
uhh, I don't really hunt anymore but I've been meaning to start again
I finished out the year and couldn't stop flinching when I heard a closeby shot, especially during deer season (I did get my deer though).
Now I'd just go out back where it's not public land, so not many hunters.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #10924
Chef Extraordinaire

Good morning/evening

We had a lovely sleep in this morning, so nice and warm in bed, just didnt want to get out!

This morning Steve is cooking me a fry up YUM!! Looking forward to that

I am going to do a bit more gardening today and we will be watching a movie or two this afternoon, nice relaxing one
Old 05-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #10925
Executive Chef

Quote:
Hunting accident. The last year PA hunters did not have to wear any orange when small game hunting. So of course no one wore any orange when pheasant hunting.
Three of us were converging where we thought a pheasant took cover. We couldn't get the dog to cross the wet area to hunt it out. I lost interest and moved about 15 yds away from where I was, or my buddy last saw me anyway. A bird flushed inbetween me and him and that's all she wrote. I took the blast OK, nothing got through my duck canvas, though it did knock me flat on my back, but one pellet hit me right above my collarbone, changed course and nicked my lung.
A few days in ICU and then the cardiac ward and I OK enough to go home, but cold air (and smoke) bothered my lung for a while.
OMG Pac .. that's a little too close for comfort

So glad you made it okay !!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #10926
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
Now V ... you know very well he has no time for silly things like hunting now .. he's too busy Makin' Bacon !!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #10927
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Now V ... you know very well he has no time for silly things like hunting now .. he's too busy Makin' Bacon !!
Heck, I put orange cones up around the smoker just so none of those NY hunters shoot it by accident
Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #10928
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

ROFL!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #10929
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Congrats, Andy...I will have a big celebration then, too. Have you had any "fake" HA's since yours? I've had three so far, feels like it but it's not, just anxiety.
I have had three HA's. Each time I thought it was a low blood pressure problem. I have a BP machine and Winthrop wants me to keep my eye on my BP. I don't have much faith in the home ones, although this one has been recommended by Winthrop. So I take it anyway before I take my BP meds. If it is too low like tonight, I have to pull my BP meds out and not take them. The symtoms are different for men and women. For me I get a slight pain in the back of my upper arms. For Spike, he gets a hard pressing pain in the middle of his chest. My blood pressure drops, his goes up. So if you think you are having a heart attack, you can't go by the symtoms your spouse had. It is better to call 911 instead and be sure.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #10930
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Ouch! Big ouch! So glad you are still with us.

I was having clusters of abscesses and had a really nasty one on my upper spine. It had grown tentacles and was starting to wrap around my spine. So they had to do surgery on it and left a big hole in my back. Every summer when I had a bathing suit on, folks would ask me what happened. I got sick of telling them so I made up a story. "I got caught in the crossfire and was shot by the police by accident. I don't like to talk about it." Everyone believed me, even my kids. For years they thought it was really true. The Pirate for years told all his friends that his mother had a bullet hole in her back. It wasn't until last year I finally told him the truth. Now he doesn't know what to believe.