What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is nice JoAnn. Shrek and I have decided we want parties, not funerals. Shrek has his music for the party all picked out. I'm working on mine. I'll suggest to him he write his obit, I think he will quite like that idea.

JoAnn, my aunt wrote her own obit, but she wasn't as creative. I'm thinking she wrote it just to make sure it was the way SHE wanted it. Auntie T always was a bit of a control freak.

Addie, Shaw's, Price Chopper (hah - so misnamed!), Roche Brothers, all those bigger chains also have bigger prices. Won't even mention the MA Wegmans, since they plopped themselves into the very high-end neighborhoods and price accordingly. The only stores I found that had competitive prices were the odd chains and only-one store. Trader Joe's and Aldis are very close to MB's price points, and little, ol' Big Bunny in Southbridge actually beats them on a few items. The Bunny also has great loss-leader prices, but I still tend to shop MB every week.

...The difference here compared to up north, stores here average much lower sales per store. Up north a grocery store doing 1 million a week is quite common, here it's pretty rare.
Taking main roads, I pass two grocery stores (and a now-closed Shaw's) on my 7 mile drive to Market Basket. There are also a couple little stores that are more expanded delis than full-service, but you can get your eggs/butter/milk/produce/bakery for the week if that's all you can get to. I could not believe how many Publix are in FL! At least one in every upscale area, sometimes only a mile or two away from each other. They are as ubiquitous as Dunkin' Donuts up here. Along one stretch of a state route they are across from each other. They get ya coming and going. ;)

I'm pretty much goofing off today. Feeling good, but don't want to push it. I did do a load of laundry, and I have every intention of making dinner. I'm just hoping the pork tenderloin I pulled out of the freezer Tuesday morning for Wednesday's dinner is OK. It's cryovac sealed and went directly to the fridge, so I'm pretty sure it's OK. But no chances - I don't have time to get sick again!

JoAnn, my aunt wrote her own obit, but she wasn't as creative. I'm thinking she wrote it just to make sure it was the way SHE wanted it. Auntie T always was a bit of a control freak.

Addie, Shaw's, Price Chopper (hah - so misnamed!), Roche Brothers, all those bigger chains also have bigger prices. Won't even mention the MA Wegmans, since they plopped themselves into the very high-end neighborhoods and price accordingly. The only stores I found that had competitive prices were the odd chains and only-one store. Trader Joe's and Aldis are very close to MB's price points, and little, ol' Big Bunny in Southbridge actually beats them on a few items. The Bunny also has great loss-leader prices, but I still tend to shop MB every week.

Taking main roads, I pass two grocery stores (and a now-closed Shaw's) on my 7 mile drive to Market Basket. There are also a couple little stores that are more expanded delis than full-service, but you can get your eggs/butter/milk/produce/bakery for the week if that's all you can get to. I could not believe how many Publix are in FL! At least one in every upscale area, sometimes only a mile or two away from each other. They are as ubiquitous as Dunkin' Donuts up here. Along one stretch of a state route they are across from each other. They get ya coming and going. ;)

Within a 30 minute drive from my house you can reach 60 food lions, almost as many Harris teeters plus Lowes, Kroger and now publix. Now add to that Fresh Market, whole foods, earth fare, trader Joe's, aldi, super Walmart, Walmart Neighborhood Market, Target supercenter, and scattered independents. This is totally leaving out ethnic markets, which there are a ton of, even a Russian/Ukraine store. It's a wonder any of them make any money.

Last edited:
1) bakechef, your glut of grocery stores beats my glut of grocery stores!

2) When did Lowe's start selling groceries? :huh: The OH location our daughter works at doesn't do that.

1) bakechef, your glut of grocery stores beats my glut of grocery stores!

2) When did Lowe's start selling groceries? :huh: The OH location our daughter works at doesn't do that.

Lowes (without the apostrophe) is a grocery store. Way way back Lowe's home improvement and Lowes Foods were started by the same family, they are now in no way related.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I bet that the only reason that Shaw's survives is because most of their stores are in densely populated areas like Boston with limited competition. We have SO many grocery stores here, it's kind of crazy, in my 5 mile commute alone I drive past 2 of my company and at least one of most of the others. One of our competitors has stores built within 1/2 to 1 mile from each other in some locations, you could walk from one to the other. These are pricey upscale stores.

The difference here compared to up north, stores here average much lower sales per store. Up north a grocery store doing 1 million a week is quite common, here it's pretty rare.

You are right. Shaw's is the only large grocery store in this community. Those that can afford it take the bus to Chelsea and a cab home with their groceries. If they own a car, they go to Chelsea for the Market Basket. They only go to Shaw's for a quick pickup of milk or some other once or twice forgotten item. They do not do their regular weekly shopping there.

Aside from their high prices, I don't like Shaw's because their store is always dirty. :angel:

I just finished putting up some more sugar free chunky apple sauce.
I had 7 organic Fuji apples in the bottom drawer of the `fridge that were not so great for eating anymore (too soft), so I figured, I made all that apple sauce for other folks, but none for us! All we got was that little bit of extra that's always in the pot that won't fit into the jars. It's great with oatmeal! :yum:

Making up my cheapo cleaning solutions. Spray bottle filled with 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 white vinegar, and 1/3 water cleans my laminate floors and just about anything else. I also figured why not make my own handwipes for travel? I rolled up a bunch of Bounty Select-a-Size paper towels on a skewer, pulled them off the skewer, cut them in half width-wise while they were still rolled up, and mixed up a solution of bottled lime juice and rubbing alcohol in a ziplock. Put the two half rolls in the solution. Not too much liquid. We'll bring the zippy wipes along on travels to clean tray tables and chair arms, etc. A lot cheaper than the purchased wetwipes!

Well done Dawgluver...I prefer home made methods to shop bought chemical cleaning products. People used more natural methods to do many of these jobs before we got more industrialised. ;)

Making up my cheapo cleaning solutions. Spray bottle filled with 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 white vinegar, and 1/3 water cleans my laminate floors and just about anything else. I also figured why not make my own handwipes for travel? I rolled up a bunch of Bounty Select-a-Size paper towels on a skewer, pulled them off the skewer, cut them in half width-wise while they were still rolled up, and mixed up a solution of bottled lime juice and rubbing alcohol in a ziplock. Put the two half rolls in the solution. Not too much liquid. We'll bring the zippy wipes along on travels to clean tray tables and chair arms, etc. A lot cheaper than the purchased wetwipes!

DL, could you share the 'recipe' for your wipes as well?
I do like to wipe things down when ever we stay in a hotel, and of course a million and one other applications for disinfecting wipes.
Since getting DH to use wipes he hasn't had a cold or the Flu, knock wood!

DL, could you share the 'recipe' for your wipes as well?

I do like to wipe things down when ever we stay in a hotel, and of course a million and one other applications for disinfecting wipes.

Since getting DH to use wipes he hasn't had a cold or the Flu, knock wood!

Sure! I just put a couple T of bottled lime juice and about 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol in a zippy, mooshed it around, and dropped in my two mini paper towel rolls. It was a mite too juicy, so I squeezed them out a bit and put them back in the bag. The select-a-size cut in half makes a nice 4x4 inch square, perfect for travel. You can leave out the lime juice, or use lavendar oil, tea tree oil, or anything else that smells good.

I'm waiting for my hamburger onion pie to be done. I'm hungry!!!

I bought some varigated yarn matching my living room's color scheme. It's mostly cream and beige with a tiny touch of turquoise.

When I got home from shopping, I tossed it into my company chair, and just admired how close the colors were.

Now I just have to figure out what to make.

Sure! I just put a couple T of bottled lime juice and about 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol in a zippy, mooshed it around, and dropped in my two mini paper towel rolls. It was a mite too juicy, so I squeezed them out a bit and put them back in the bag. The select-a-size cut in half makes a nice 4x4 inch square, perfect for travel. You can leave out the lime juice, or use lavendar oil, tea tree oil, or anything else that smells good.

how rude of me, I meant to say Mahalo

Love this idea! Thanks!

Last edited:
I have got to remember to buy a large bottle of alcohol. I need it for medical reason as well as for cleaning. I always have it on my list, and I just don't get to the store. I need to buy it while I can get to Rite Aid before we have a major snow storm. Then the scooter goes into winter retirement. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom