What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm about to do my one stop Christmas shopping at the bank. Some brand new crisp bills makes everyone happy and the cards are the wrapping. Those gifts are never returned. My one year old Cheyenne (GD) will have gifts to open though.

Good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been mentioning to the kids how I have been wanting a bread machine for the longest time. The Pirate mentioned right back that the average person who has one doesn't even know where their machine is today. They use them a few times and then forget about them. Also, because they make such a big loaf, the bread goes stale in one day since there are no preservatives in the recipe.

I guess he is right. I can make just one loaf by hand and know it till be gone in one day. There is a machine that make a one pound loaf, but it is just too expensive. :angel:

You can get them really inexpensively at thrift shops. At the master gardeners' open garden and yard sale, I bought two bread machine cookbooks *and* a bread machine for $3.

You can slice the bread and freeze it, and you can make many different kinds of bread and rolls. I use it to make yeast dinner rolls, French bread baguettes and rolls, cinnamon-raisin bread, etc. You don't have to eat it all. People love gifts of homemade bread :yum:

I'm about to do my one stop Christmas shopping at the bank. Some brand new crisp bills makes everyone happy and the cards are the wrapping. Those gifts are never returned. My one year old Cheyenne (GD) will have gifts to open though.

I do that and if the people on my list don't cross my path by the Epiphany the money goes back into the general fund! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Does anyone know of a dip for chestnuts? I have always eaten then right from the oven with just a little salt. It seem to me that they are crying out for something else. :angel:

Does anyone know of a dip for chestnuts? I have always eaten then right from the oven with just a little salt. It seem to me that they are crying out for something else. :angel:
Without the salt, roasted chestnuts sound like they might go well with hot melted chocolate e.g. fondue.

Without the salt, roasted chestnuts sound like they might go well with hot melted chocolate e.g. fondue.

Thank you. That does sound so right. Who else would come forth with a perfect answer but a member from Charles Dickens's Christmas, England. :angel:

Katie, DH just mentioned that I never use my bread machine anymore. I don't even know where it is! I think it's because of my diabetes. Bread is my weakness, but it really raises my blood sugar. But I do long to smell the bread processing in the machine.

My bread machine is one of my most used and favorite tools. I have had it since 1999 and have used it only once or twice to actually make bread in it as the manufacturer recommends. It is my "helper" for doing the kneading and for the first rise of the dough. In fact, many, many years ago I spoke with one of the resident bakers at King Arthur Flour about using the machine in this way. She told me that a bread machine does a much more thorough job of kneading that the human hands can.

I have arthritis in both my hands and a number of years ago I discovered that kneading even for a few minutes just kills my hands. Enter my good friend, the bread machine. I used to enjoy the rhythm and solitude of the kneading process but "Arthur(itis)" saw fit to rob me of that.

I use it a minimum of once per week and have since the beginning. I even have a second one, slightly smaller but the same maker, that I use during the holidays when I often have both of them whirring away at the same time.

The first one was purchased during a Black Friday sale for me by a friend of mine while I was recuperating from major surgery. It was a great price and I was glad because I was skeptical as to whether or not I'd use the thing. The second one I bought at a thrift store for $3.00 because I discovered that having an additional one would be helpful...and it is immensely so.

Since my sister died, I don't get out to thrift stores anymore. I sure miss her. And it is definitely something my daughter would never enjoy doing with me. So I don't even bother to ask her. If and whenever The Pirate gets a car, I know he would be more than willing to take me. But I am not holding my breath on that happening. In the summer our local newspaper carries a full page of yard and garage sales. The Pirate is as passionate about them as I am. :angel:

There was a lady in my hometown named Dot, she made the best divinity that I've ever eaten, I'm not sure what she did to it, but it was perfect! My mom used to bring me some when she'd come to visit. Dot was always excited to make a batch just for me! I also to this day use her sugar cookie recipe, that lady was a wiz in the kitchen.

My Mom used to roll the divinity out flat on powdered sugar and spread peanut butter on it; then roll it up and slice into pinwheel pieces. I don't remember whether there was any sugar added to the peanut butter, but everybody loved it. I've never been able to make divinity like she did. It's just as well -- I manage to eat too much sugar without it. Oh, those heady days before we knew the awful truth about refined sugar.

My Mom used to roll the divinity out flat on powdered sugar and spread peanut butter on it; then roll it up and slice into pinwheel pieces. I don't remember whether there was any sugar added to the peanut butter, but everybody loved it. I've never been able to make divinity like she did. It's just as well -- I manage to eat too much sugar without it. Oh, those heady days before we knew the awful truth about refined sugar.

That sounds delicious!

I had an enjoyable birthday today. Slept in late, started making Christmas candy, went to our daughter's piano recital, out to eat then back to Christmas baking, time for bed now, good night!

It's 10PM and I spent the last 2 hours watching a movie and halfheartedly working on my no-sew blankets. If I spend another hour on them, I can get one more finished and start on another one. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Yeah, I couldn't sleep, either. Going into work early, see how much I can get done before everyone else shows up.

Yeah, I couldn't sleep, either. Going into work early, see how much I can get done before everyone else shows up.

I used to do that so I could sort of glide into my day.

In those days I used to smoke so I would go in early to compensate the company for my smoke breaks, drove my co-workers crazy! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I've come to the conclusion that smokers are the only people who actually take regular breaks...since I quit I have to plan my breaks consciously. Sometimes I even forget lunchtime until it silly late to take it.

Just saved myself having to buy a new room thermostat. I noticed the technical support contact in the leaflet and they talked me through a slightly involved procedure which I was able to carry out satisfactorily. :)

Back
Top Bottom