What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes we need a whole new door. The old one is wooden (is starting to crack in places) and has been there since 1975. DH got his hearing aids, I knew they would cost lots but you should have seen the look on his face when they put them in his ears. He couldn't believe what he could hear. Oh, and by the way 2 weeks ago we had to get a new kitchen stove. :glare: Lets hope that nothing else will need replacing.

Try to make the door last for at least a month more. Not only age is causing it to crack, but the weather. Wood doors are the most expensive. Look at aluminum doors that are insulated. They cost a lot less. You might be able to have only the cracked panels replaced. Is this an overhead door? Or the kind that open to the side from the middle. If that is what they are, in that case, they don't even make them any more.

I am so glad your husband can join the world of the hearing again. I am going to be going down his path soon. :angel:

We took our cabin fever out on the road today (Wednesday), hitting the little Mediterranean market about 20 miles away, then kept heading north. We stopped at three different small cheese farms - one was open. We bought a small roll of hickory smoked goat cheese to try. The second one was closed on Wednesdays. And the third looks like it doesn't open until well after Mud Season, but at least the farm dog ran out into the road to welcome us! We'll have to go back when the weather gets warm and introduce ourselves to him right proper.

Stopped at one of the new Market Baskets way up at the top of the state - mostly for a pit stop. That bathroom break cost us $26! :ermm:

You just have to stop at Market Basket and spend. The store in Chelsea in the model for every new MB built now. The old Chelsea MB store was so small you couldn't bend over to tie your shoe. People had to stand outside in a line waiting outside in the weather to get in or get a basket. That whole area and the mall was a magnet for crime and teens hanging out. So the folks that owned the land, kicked every company out except MB, and started from ground up to rebuild. MB was to be the star. And it is. Now when you go in, you want to roam the aisles. After the battle ended last summer, Arthur proceeded to build another one just a mile or so down the road in Revere. A project he had started before all the brouhaha started and had to stop when he got fired. Now that store is as busy as Chelsea.

Can you tell I have a love affair going with MB? Don't be surprised to see MB replace Stop & Shop and become the main grocer in N.E.

Your day out sounded lovely. I just love roaming around to new places out in the countryside on a beautiful day. :angel:

I guess I forgot why I don't buy crunchy peanut butter....until this evening. :(

I just ate bits and pieces instead of a meal.....so what do I do? On the way home, I shopped and bought a jar of organic peanut butter.....and now I have half a jar left! :ohmy:

There's making up for a meal then there's overindulgence! :pig:
eusa_naughty.gif

I guess I forgot why I don't buy crunchy peanut butter....until this evening. :(

I just ate bits and pieces instead of a meal.....so what do I do? On the way home, I shopped and bought a jar of organic peanut butter.....and now I have half a jar left! :ohmy:

There's making up for a meal then there's overindulgence! :pig:
eusa_naughty.gif

My son Spike does that with McCormick's Bacon Bits. He opens the jar when he gets into the car. By the time he arrives home, the jar is empty. I do that with French's Fried Onion Rings. I always have a recipe in mind when I buy them, but that recipe is still waiting for me to make it. :angel:

Joann, our wooden garage door needs to be replaced, too. It was put on when the house was built in 1971. DH keeps painting it. I guess if we get a new one it will make the rest of the house look old. Better that it all looks old. LOL We had a lot of trouble with it not closing this past winter, but now winter is over so we won't worry about it until next winter.

Joann, our wooden garage door needs to be replaced, too. It was put on when the house was built in 1971. DH keeps painting it. I guess if we get a new one it will make the rest of the house look old. Better that it all looks old. LOL We had a lot of trouble with it not closing this past winter, but now winter is over so we won't worry about it until next winter.

If you have a door that is called a "shin kicker", and it goes up all in one piece, then the whole door may need to be replaced. If you have a door that has panels, then you might be able to get by with just replacing just a panel or two. For that you only replace the panel and the hardware that goes on the track. If you have the doors that are separated in the middle and open out, then you will have to get a new door. They don't make them any more. If you do have a panel door, put some auto oil 10/40 on the tracks. That is what the pros use. Check to see if any of the hardware is bent. If so, you can replace just that. Much cheaper than a whole door.

When I worked for the overhead door company, you wouldn't believe the calls I would get. "I can't get the door to close. It comes down just so far and then goes back up." I would tell them to check the tracks and make sure nothing was in it that shouldn't be. Sure enough I would get a call back. They had leaned the broom handle right in the track. If I had sent out a truck, it would have cost them over $100 to remove the broom. If they had a power outage from a storm and their door wouldn't open, I would tell them to pull the string coming down from the motor. That releases the motor from the door and then you can open by hand. So many folks do not understand how their door operates. Then we would have the ones who wanted to save money. They would call and ask how to do something. Then call back a few minutes with a new question. Three questions were all they were allowed to ask. Then I would tell them I don't know and there is no one in the shop to help them. They won't be back until after five o'clock. An hour later I would get a call for a repair truck to come. :angel:

Addie, you actually can find functioning replacement carriage-style garage doors. Probably cost a fortune, but if you're restoring an old home and garage that had it originally, you would want to be true to the original.

Yes we need a whole new door. The old one is wooden (is starting to crack in places) and has been there since 1975...
Wow, sorry to hear that the expenses are piling on. If you are open to a suggestion, a fiberglass garage door is very practical. Ours is 15 years old and looks brand-new. We give it a hose-down and quick swipe with a soapy car-washing brush every year or two. Other than that, we replaced the springs once, maybe 6 years ago? Every once in a while Himself does a bit of squirt and tweak to make it run smoothly, but seeing as he despises house maintenance he does it only when it starts to act up. :glare: Lucky him, it rarely acts up.

You are right about the carriage doors. They have to be custom made. And that really adds on the dollars. I have seen some beautiful ones. We had one customer that had the door made in Italy and then shipped here for installation. It was hand carved with a picture of the canals and boats of Venice. He was from there and wanted to have it on the door. The scenes on that door would take your breath away. It was a heavy oak door. It cost more than just a few thousand dollars. He lived in Lynnfield. Where all the money is.

If you don't have children playing in the yard with basketballs, then fiberglass is a great choice for financial savings. But I would advise having it insulated. It provides a solid backing incase there is a hard bang against the door. A hard bang can put a dent in the panels. And a really hard bang like hitting the door with the car, can cause the fiberglass to tear.

But the good point of having fiberglass besides the cost, is that you can have the same style as all the other doors have.

I have been out of the workforce for more than ten years. So there may be a lot of changes. In fact I am sure there have been. :angel:

If and when we replace our garage door we will replace it with a completely new door. It will probably work fine now that the weather is warming up.

Just found out that a disgusting FB page that me and a bunch of friends reported finally got removed. It was a page that seemed to be all about hating cats and being mean to them. There were photos. The first few reports got replies that it didn't violate FB's community standards. I was pretty upset that a naked bum violates their standards, but a crucified cat didn't. I guess enough of us reported that specific photo with the reason that was ticked being "promotes violence to a person or animal". They took down the entire page. First time I have seen something disgusting actually removed from FB after reports.

Just found out that a disgusting FB page that me and a bunch of friends reported finally got removed. It was a page that seemed to be all about hating cats and being mean to them. There were photos. The first few reports got replies that it didn't violate FB's community standards. I was pretty upset that a naked bum violates their standards, but a crucified cat didn't. I guess enough of us reported that specific photo with the reason that was ticked being "promotes violence to a person or animal". They took down the entire page. First time I have seen something disgusting actually removed from FB after reports.
It is baffling. Why do social media sites drag their heels so much when it comes to censoring? Afraid of losing members?

Twitter is now notorious for its trolls and management are again not being found to be effective on this. It is appalling given that trolls can seemingly run rampant and cause so much misery.

It is baffling. Why do social media sites drag their heels so much when it comes to censoring? Afraid of losing members?

Twitter is now notorious for its trolls and management are again not being found to be effective on this. It is appalling given that trolls can seemingly run rampant and cause so much misery.
We actually got replies within a couple of hours. Unfortunately the first replies stated that it didn't violate community standards. :ohmy::ermm:

I think that it took less than a day to finally get it removed, but it took quite a few reports.

Creative, I too will remember your Mom in my thoughts.

My SousChef (DH) just returned home tonight after flying across the country and back to visit his mother on her 102 birthday. Both of her children were there and she knew it, but just barely.

Last night, after we had our welcome home dinner, the phone rang. His mother had just died. She certainly did it her way, as after she saw her two children together, she was done. Steve will again be on a plane across the country for the funeral in New York. The only empty seat he could get on such short notice is an overnight 5 hr. flight on Sunday. Thankfully, he's in good health but I still worry about him.

Last night, after we had our welcome home dinner, the phone rang. His mother had just died. She certainly did it her way, as after she saw her two children together, she was done. Steve will again be on a plane across the country for the funeral in New York. The only empty seat he could get on such short notice is an overnight 5 hr. flight on Sunday. Thankfully, he's in good health but I still worry about him.
Sorry to hear of this. 102 is some going though! He must be distraught but at least he has you.

Oh no. So glad Souschef got to spend some time with his darling mom.

{{{{Kayelle and Souschef}}}}

Please accept my condolences for your loss.

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die. ~Thomas Campbell

Back
Top Bottom