"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #11251
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I used to leave my weed whacker on the back porch and had something chew on the gas line. You had to flex the line to see the slits in it. I'm pretty sure it was either a raccoon or opossum.
You're right. It does make you wonder.
I had a problem with my last car with squirrels eating the insulation off the wires around the engine. Cost a fortune to get it fixed. No one knew why the squirrels ate my wires. It wasn't until much later that I mentioned the problem to SO's cousin who had an auto repair business. Simple. The insulation on the wires is now vegetable based rather than petroleum based as they used to be.

Maybe that explanation for gas lines too. The same thing kept happening to a neighbor's line on her gas grill.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #11252
Chef Extraordinaire

DC was down for a fair while, couldn't get on

Went to physio this morning, I am doing well apparently, good stuff!

Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #11253
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In the middle of making a batch of onion bagels. The dough is rising and will soon be doubled in size.
How hard is it to make bagels? I ran across a recipe in an old Eating Well and have wanted to try it but it seems you have to work quick enough so the dough doesn't rise. Trust me, I can't do anything quick.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #11254
Master Chef

Quote:
I had a problem with my last car with squirrels eating the insulation off the wires around the engine. Cost a fortune to get it fixed....
Couple winters ago a mouse built a nest in my heater's blower fan. $500 or so dollars later I had what could potentially become new digs for the mouse. The mechanic suggested putting moth balls on the floor of the garage (I put them in an old roller tray) under the cars because the smell repels rodents. If you park inside it might work for squirrels too.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #11255
Master Chef

We don't have shower doors but I found a nifty cleaning agent for shower stalls and tubs. We have those molded fiberglass all-in-one units so there are no seams or tile, but I think this works in a tiled tub too. The cleaner? Shampoo! Seriously. When I read that I laughed, but I had a couple bottles of shampoo that didn't seem to do the job as well after a while so I gave it a try. Amazing. Wet the walls, wet the sponge, and spread on a light film of shampoo. Wait just a couple minutes and then wet the sponge (I use one with a non-scratch scrubbing surface) and wash the walls. You don't need much pressure and you can put a little water in the stoppered tub and keep using that. Not only that, but no fumes! Smells really nice while you're cleaning. Just make sure you get all the soap rinsed really well off the floor of the tub or vwoop!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #11256
Chef Extraordinaire

Good info, Andy.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #11257
Chef Extraordinaire

It is so cold here tonight, about to go and get my fluffy soft dressing gown on and off to watch some Aussie Masterchef
Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #11258
Executive Chef

Using DesignCad to draw plans for installing a 6 quart fuel tank on the rear deck of my 33" walk-behind rotary mower.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #11259
Executive Chef

So...I may end up with a Maytag range instead of a GE. It also has the steam cleaning. I really don't want the kind of range that locks tight and goes up to 700-800 degrees to get things clean. I don't mind scrubbing, or cleaning the oven right after a spill-over, and don't want the self cleaning cycle at all. The steam cleaning sounds nice, and all it will need from me is the purchase of distilled water. The cleaning cycle only takes an hour, and then you wipe and scrub yourself. This sounds more like what I want. Hubby usually wants to shop with me on things such as this, but has backed off. I think I will just order it online today and have it delivered. So...that's what I am doing, ordering a range.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #11260
Executive Chef

Quote:
I had a problem with my last car with squirrels eating the insulation off the wires around the engine. Cost a fortune to get it fixed. No one knew why the squirrels ate my wires. It wasn't until much later that I mentioned the problem to SO's cousin who had an auto repair business. Simple. The insulation on the wires is now vegetable based rather than petroleum based as they used to be.

Maybe that explanation for gas lines too. The same thing kept happening to a neighbor's line on her gas grill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Bummer. I wonder why rodents would be attracted to gasoline.
The article cited below discusses a fix for the rodent problem-
Design News - News - Chemical Additive Protects Plastics From Rats