What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, that sux, Andy. Hopefully you were able to get one of those cute little dominatrix braces, not one of the ugly blue things that I had to use when I broke my wrist.

Whatever, hope it gets fixed!

Actually my brace is black suede with laces. Matches my fishnets. :angel:

I have had those shots. But my doctor will only allow me three shots in one year. So when I really feel the need to go back, I make sure I reallyneed one. And I try to space them far, far apart.

I have finally forced myself to sew up the baby outfit which has been sitting in my knitting basket for a fortnight staring accusingly at me. This is the pattern I used

Baby Set in King Cole DK (3399) | Deramores

I knitted the main part in black with yellow stripes on the body and cuffs of the jacket and on the cuffs of the trousers.

The baby's name is Dax. The parents aren't DS9 fans. "Dax" is German for badger. Mum and Dad both work for the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers and are heavily into that sort of thing.

Dax was the product of his mum's last chance at IVF (she's just 40) and the previous attempt has ended in a miscarriage so he's even extra special.

The family are vegan so the choice of knitting yarn was quite difficult. Vegan-friendly knitting yarns such as soy and hemp are quite difficult to come by in the UK and cotton is horrid to knit with so in the end I came down on the side of acrylic. Not ideal but it's much better yarn now than when it first hit the market in the 70s and it wears well.

Now feeling very smug and pleased with myself.

Last edited:
I have finally forced myself to sew up the baby outfit which has been sitting in my knitting basket for a fortnight staring accusingly at me. This is the pattern I used

Baby Set in King Cole DK (3399) | Deramores

I knitted the main part in black with yellow stripes on the body and cuffs of the jacket and on the cuffs of the trousers.

The baby's name is Dax. The parents aren't DS9 fans. "Dax" is German for badger. Mum and Dad both work for the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers and are heavily into that sort of thing.

Dax was the product of his mum's last chance at IVF (she's just 40) and the previous attempt has ended in a miscarriage so he's even extra special.

The family are vegan so the choice of knitting yarn was quite difficult. Vegan-friendly knitting yarns such as soy and hemp are quite difficult to come by in the UK and cotton is horrid to knit with so in the end I came down on the side of acrylic. Not ideal but it's much better yarn now than when it first hit the market in the 70s and it wears well.

Now feeling very smug and pleased with myself.
My next project is this hat

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/51496249/instant-digital-pdf-download-knitting?ref=market

and an Aran sweater , both in pink marl, tweedy wool and acrylic Aran weight ("worsted"?) yarn for my cousin's granddaughter. She's two in June.

Incidentally, if you are a keen knitter do have a look at the "Madmonkeyknits" site. She designs really quirky hats for children and adults - I have patterns for a hen hat, a spider and a fish. The kids at the stables like them to use as hat covers for their riding safety helmets and they sell like hot cakes at charity sales. The home page of her website has a picture of her in her garden sitting with her feet up, knitting.....and wearing a full body gorilla suit she knitted herself. Do have a look.

I had a similar issue with my elbow, Andy. It hurt and was swollen for a couple weeks. I went to the PCP who drained some fluid then gave a shot of cortisone. That was a week ago. The swelling went down and the elbow only hurts if I forget and prop it on the table. He didn't xray. He said if it's not completely healed I will need another shot. I bought a wrist brace at the local pharmacy. Mine is black with velcro straps. It keeps me from bumping it. One thing about the shots, every time I need a cortisone shot my psoriasis goes into remission for a couple months. I need to get them before some procedures as I am allergic to contrast dye.

Carol, be sure to update your fishnets to go with your brace.

MC, those projects are adorable! The hats are a stitch!

I had a similar issue with my elbow, Andy. It hurt and was swollen for a couple weeks. I went to the PCP who drained some fluid then gave a shot of cortisone. That was a week ago. The swelling went down and the elbow only hurts if I forget and prop it on the table. He didn't xray. He said if it's not completely healed I will need another shot. I bought a wrist brace at the local pharmacy. Mine is black with velcro straps. It keeps me from bumping it. One thing about the shots, every time I need a cortisone shot my psoriasis goes into remission for a couple months. I need to get them before some procedures as I am allergic to contrast dye.

I forgot about that benefit. I was working at Wyeth when they were doing the field tests for Enbrel. My supervisor asked me if I would like to take part. I almost said "yes", but then I realized that I handled all the files and reports on all the patients in the study. So I couldn't participate. Also I would know if I was getting the placebo or the Enbrel itself. But I poured over those reports and liked what I read. But some, not many, had the "lowers your immunity" problem. I could do it now, but for that one little problem. My PCP didn't say no, but advised against it as I have enough health problems without creating more.

The one thing I did notice in reading those files is that some of the patients that did the whole study and then needed no more shots, had their psoriasis in total remission and about three to four months later it came back with a vengeance. The study did a follow-up for a year after they completed the active part of the study. I tend to go into remission for no reason. And it is not a gradual remission. I will wake up in the morning and Voila! Gone. That has happened about four or five time now. Not a fun condition to have. :angel:

This morning I came across a series of film from the BBC archives. They start during the Blitz of WWII and was mostly filmed in London. The series then goes on to how Britain was recovering after the war. It covers every aspect of life and all the changes in Britain. Each clip is 30 minutes long. The one I was fascinated with was about the team of men who defuse the unexploded bombs. It stated that in building the site for the Olympics, they found a live bomb. They estimate that there are still as many as 1,600 - 2,000 unexploded bombs. Right now I am taking a break from watching the clips. I have some work I HAVE to do. Now to get my butt out of this chair and get busy.... :angel:

Last edited:
Addie, I have had psoriasis since age 50. It only went into remission when I had a shot for the dye allergy, every couple years. In the past few years it has gone into remission a couple times for no apparent reason. And you're right, when it comes back, it's worse. I will not take Enbrel or that other one, the name of which slips my mind. Too many crazy side effects. In the end, you can't take the drug forever, so it's going to come back anyway. Now I saw an ad for an oral med for psoriasis which has side effects, but they are mild by comparison. I might look into that one...research it further.

Andy...I hope your wrist is better very soon, and that it doesn't interfere much with your love of cooking....not a good ailment for a foodie. :(

Mad....those little knitted baby outfits are absolutely adorable! :)

Andy...I hope your wrist is better very soon, and that it doesn't interfere much with your love of cooking....not a good ailment for a foodie. :(

Mad....those little knitted baby outfits are absolutely adorable! :)

Thanks, Cheryl. Prepping for dinner last night was not fun.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom