What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a job waiting for me in Torrington, Wyoming as soon as I can get there!!!!!!!

I will be putting my notice in tomorrow.
w00t!
hapydancsmil.gif

That's great news. Will you be making a trip ahead of the move to find new living accommodations?

A two bedroom apartment full that we've lived in for 15 years and a storage place you could park a car in. That much stuff...
...Sounds like you are going to need a mansion this time. Good luck with the packing and moving. God Speed. :angel:
Sounds more like someone needs a garage sale, to me. :LOL: Time for the three-pile approach, PF. One is keepers, one is donate, and the last is pitch. Now all you need is a garage to hold the sale in!

IF there are no books destined for the new home, see if your local library would like them. I know ours puts the nice ones into rotation, the lesser quality ones are given to the Friends of the Library group. They hold a huge book sale twice a year to raise funds for library extras.

About three weeks, Dad will be here in two weeks and as soon as we can get the truck loaded, we are out of here.

Sounds more like someone needs a garage sale, to me. :LOL: Time for the three-pile approach, PF. One is keepers, one is donate, and the last is pitch. Now all you need is a garage to hold the sale in!

IF there are no books destined for the new home, see if your local library would like them. I know ours puts the nice ones into rotation, the lesser quality ones are given to the Friends of the Library group. They hold a huge book sale twice a year to raise funds for library extras.

The books stay with us...

And Taxlady, Mom knows about the cats and it's on her list of requirements.

Re-reading my statement, it sounded like I though you were taking NO books. Ack! Not at all! Books are..are...life! I meant if there were a couple of them not making the trip, the library would be one idea.

When we were moving from OH, I asked a friend who had just moved two states away for advice. Although Himself's company was moving us, we were trying to prioritize. While our house was up for sale, each time I headed to MA I would fill the car with "whatever". Gail suggested we take 1) heavy stuff and 2) stuff that might break and was irreplaceable. I would load the van up with boxes of books, up to the limit of the springs and shocks, then put Christmas decorations like vintage ornament boxes on top of the book boxes.

I just knew you'd get snapped up right away! Congratulations!!!

Try not to overtax yourself. Movers can be worth the cost and save you time and exertion. XOXOX

Moving is old hat by now, I've packed several U-Hauls in the past, it's just been a while this time. That's why Dad is coming up, to help me pack and load the truck. I already have a stack of moving boxes from Home Depot, I like using the same size boxes for things like the books. Makes nice stacks. I pack dressers with full drawers, removing enough clothes for a week into a suitcase. Enough blankets to wrap the TV.

Shrek is able to pack boxes with CDs, DVDs and paperback books. I'll be able to stack them when I get home. He'll be fine as long as he doesn't have to climb a step stool. My largest bookcases are board and brick. We have a fridge, freezer, lift chair, and that humongous Queen memory foam mattress that I will need help with, the rest I can wander out myself with the hand truck.

Moving is old hat by now, I've packed several U-Hauls in the past, it's just been a while this time. That's why Dad is coming up, to help me pack and load the truck. I already have a stack of moving boxes from Home Depot, I like using the same size boxes for things like the books. Makes nice stacks. I pack dressers with full drawers, removing enough clothes for a week into a suitcase. Enough blankets to wrap the TV.

Shrek is able to pack boxes with CDs, DVDs and paperback books. I'll be able to stack them when I get home. He'll be fine as long as he doesn't have to climb a step stool. My largest bookcases are board and brick. We have a fridge, freezer, lift chair, and that humongous Queen memory foam mattress that I will need help with, the rest I can wander out myself with the hand truck.

I think this move will be good for Shrek!

It will give him some exercise and a renewed sense of adventure!

Don't try to move too much yourself! The UHaul website should have some names of available guys to load the truck on moving day. A couple of guys for a couple of hours on each end costs around $150.00 in this area. At least check it out.

U-Haul: Moving Help moving labor service

Congratulations, PF! This is great news! This is one of the nice things about being a renter. It makes it so much easier to just pick up and go.

Congratulations, PF! This is great news! This is one of the nice things about being a renter. It makes it so much easier to just pick up and go.

I have always been a renter. My sister had her own home and I watched her over the years go broke trying to keep up with the repairs. Her house was built in the late 1700. And when they replaced the water main from the house to the city line, they found an old hollowed out log. That cost a pretty penny. They kept the piece of wood on the back porch and my sister used it as a planter. I just let the landlord do the worrying about the repairs. :angel:

Last edited:
I have always been a renter. My sister had her own home and I watched her over the years go broke trying to keep up with the repairs. Her house was built in the late 1700. And when they replaced the water main from the house to the city line, they found an old hollowed out log. That cost a pretty penny. They kept the piece of wood on the back porch and my sister used it as a planter. I just let the landlord do the worrying about the repairs. :angel:

I live in an area where I save at least a couple hundred a month owning a townhouse/condo over renting. Since we knew that we would stay put for a while, owning seemed like the sensible alternative. We have 3 bedrooms, a 3 bedroom apartment in the area starts at $300 more than our mortgage, and this isn't even an upscale apartment!

Renting is great for those who want everything taken care of, I rented for close to 15 years with no regrets. It also great if you aren't sure that this is where you want to be for the long term. People are always saying "you're throwing away your money renting", but I disagree, they are providing a roof over your head and keeping everything in working order, that's definitely worth something!

Here it is probably easier to move if you don't rent. Leases on most decent apartments and flats are for a year. If you want to move early, you either pay the rent for the rest of the year or find someone to sublet the place and the landlord has to approve them.

A friend of mine rented the same flat for well over 20 years and would happily have stayed there for the rest of her life. Landlords can't just willy nilly refuse to renew a lease, but her landlord decided she wanted to live in that flat. Then she had to, and did, give six months notice prior to the end of the lease. Now my friend lives in a much less conveniently located similar flat.

I ordered groceries online last night/early this morning. They arrived about half an hour ago. Yay! They arrived before we had to use the backup coffee and before we ran out of cream for that coffee.

Back
Top Bottom