What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm baking for a bake sale tomorrow. 3 varieties of cupcakes, 2 varieties of brownies, 2 varieties of cookies and rice crispy treats with their tops dipped in chocolate.

Let the baking begin!
IMG_20150424_110617723_HDR.jpg

I'm preparing for a traditional Armenian dinner for my sister and BIL for Saturday night. I'm currently simmering fowl to extract a stock for use as part of the dinner.

We rented the first three years we were married, until we saved enough for a big down payment and found a house we liked. I was so happy to leave the apartment life behind then. Over the years we've contracted to build three homes. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Now that we're both in our 60s and not getting any younger, I'm wondering IF I could just suck it up and live rightnextto another person's home. Sure would be nice to not have to ask Himself to do the yardwork anymore! :LOL:

I'm trying to decide whether I want go grocery shop or do some work around here. If I shop, I have to cook. I'm getting tired of cooking. :ohmy: Guess I'm on the edge of the dreaded "Kitchen Desert Zone". If I do housework, my joints ache. I will have to start remembering to take an Ibuprofen or two when I start a chore. Maybe I'll take a nap...

Called the clinic to get my blood pressure meds renewed, and was told I need a doctor's appointment. The next available time is mid September! Gah! Thankfully I'm not dying, and supposedly they'll renew the meds until then.

We rented the first three years we were married, until we saved enough for a big down payment and found a house we liked. I was so happy to leave the apartment life behind then. Over the years we've contracted to build three homes. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Now that we're both in our 60s and not getting any younger, I'm wondering IF I could just suck it up and live rightnextto another person's home. Sure would be nice to not have to ask Himself to do the yardwork anymore! :LOL:

I'm trying to decide whether I want go grocery shop or do some work around here. If I shop, I have to cook. I'm getting tired of cooking. :ohmy: Guess I'm on the edge of the dreaded "Kitchen Desert Zone". If I do housework, my joints ache. I will have to start remembering to take an Ibuprofen or two when I start a chore. Maybe I'll take a nap...

That's pretty much why we have a townhouse condo, neither one of us has any interest in doing any kind of yard work! Some day if we get a free standing house, we'll have a lawn service worked into the budget!

You are beginning to sound like me. I am on the Vicodin for the pain in my left hip and the base of my spine. Even though I am supposed to take them three times a day, I don't. It is when I am in the middle of a major chore of cleaning that I remember to take them. Then I have to stop everything and wait for them to kick in. As long as I don't push myself too hard, and take it slow and sit down every so often. Otherwise I am toast. :angel:

I have two large pork chops dipped and breaded. Two Yukon Gold 'taters are peeled and cut up just waiting for the heat to be applied. I had peas the other night. So tonight I am going to peel two carrots and after they are cooked, I will add them to a seasoned white sauce.

But right now I am sitting down trying to get up the energy to get some gitupandgo! :angel:

We rented the first three years we were married, until we saved enough for a big down payment and found a house we liked. I was so happy to leave the apartment life behind then. Over the years we've contracted to build three homes. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Now that we're both in our 60s and not getting any younger, I'm wondering IF I could just suck it up and live rightnextto another person's home. Sure would be nice to not have to ask Himself to do the yardwork anymore! :LOL:...

I agree with bakechef. Condo living is the way to go. We do no outside work except for SO's theraputic garden. The only snow removal we have to do is clear off our cars and move them so others can plow out our parking spaces. They do the sidewalks, steps and landings.

We also have a pool and tennis court for the summer. I never have to paint the house, replace the roof or any of that other stuff.

Love it!

There certainly are advantages to having a condo. I don't even have to move the car for snow removal because ours has underground parking. But, there can be stupid rules. I know someone who lives in the condo association across the street. She isn't allowed to put a clothes line in her tiny yard. They actually enforce that.

There certainly are advantages to having a condo. I don't even have to move the car for snow removal because ours has underground parking. But, there can be stupid rules. I know someone who lives in the condo association across the street. She isn't allowed to put a clothes line in her tiny yard. They actually enforce that.

I see the reasoning for that rule. Some consider the sight of clothes hung on a clothesline as not fitting into the view of a natural area.

As a condo owner, you sacrifice some of the individual freedoms you enjoy in your own home. Rules like that one are usually intended to maintain a uniformly attractive area that is appealing to potential buyers so home values rise and remain high.

Many condo associations don't allow pets or restrict their size and number.

With so many homes in a much smaller area, the population density is much higher than in a traditional residential neighborhood with half acre lots so irritations are magnified and impact more people.

...With so many homes in a much smaller area, the population density is much higher than in a traditional residential neighborhood with half acre lots so irritations are magnified and impact more people.
That's the one reason Himself gives as why I wouldn't be happy in a condo. He's probably right. I have supersonic bat hearing. Not good, unless I would walk around with earplugs all day. :LOL:

Our previous house was in a development with a homeowners' association. We were careful to make sure the restrictions weren't too stringent. There were very few rules; the association was there mostly to make sure the fees were collected to maintain the community swimming pool, tennis courts, and party center. We did get to hang laundry. Outdoor fresh sheets. :)

I'm baking for a bake sale tomorrow. 3 varieties of cupcakes, 2 varieties of brownies, 2 varieties of cookies and rice crispy treats with their tops dipped in chocolate.

Let the baking begin!
IMG_20150424_110617723_HDR.jpg

Wow, busy day for you, bakechef. And how nice to have TWO kitchenaids!

I always thought this would be my forever home, but the older I get, the more I'm a little unsure about that. I don't need 3 bdrs/2 baths just for me, but it's paid for and the property taxes and insurance are reasonable. I guess I don't have to make a decision right away....just going to wait and see what the future brings.

There is one particular condo development here that I've always liked - it's in a quiet neighborhood with nice established shade trees and landscaping. I drive through there every now and then just to look. :)

I always thought this would be my forever home, but the older I get, the more I'm a little unsure about that. I don't need 3 bdrs/2 baths just for me, but it's paid for and the property taxes and insurance are reasonable. I guess I don't have to make a decision right away....just going to wait and see what the future brings.

There is one particular condo development here that I've always liked - it's in a quiet neighborhood with nice established shade trees and landscaping. I drive through there every now and then just to look. :)

I know that seems like a lot of room right now. But what about when the grand kiddies want a sleepover? Or the parents have to make a last minute business trip and need a babysitter? :angel:

I know that seems like a lot of room right now. But what about when the grand kiddies want a sleepover? Or the parents have to make a last minute business trip and need a babysitter? :angel:
Yup. As long as those extra rooms aren't self-dirtying, I say keep it. Of course, yard work is another question. I'm guessing that everything is on one level. Having multiple floors can be a real nuisance when you get older.

Yup. As long as those extra rooms aren't self-dirtying, I say keep it. Of course, yard work is another question. I'm guessing that everything is on one level. Having multiple floors can be a real nuisance when you get older.

Yeah, Addie and Taxy.....that's what I keep coming back to - having the extra rooms 'just in case'. No one has slept in the guest room for almost 2 years, but I guess there's always that possibility it might be needed. And I truly shudder at the thought of packing up and moving...I really do love it here, it's on the edge of town and so quiet.

Yes, Taxy, it's single story, thank goodness for that. :) I have a yard service that comes once a week and takes care of mowing the lawn, keeping the bushes and trees trimmed, and anything else I need done. They've been with me for over 10 years now, come to think of it. :)

Yeah, Addie and Taxy.....that's what I keep coming back to - having the extra rooms 'just in case'. No one has slept in the guest room for almost 2 years, but I guess there's always that possibility it might be needed. And I truly shudder at the thought of packing up and moving...I really do love it here, it's on the edge of town and so quiet.

Yes, Taxy, it's single story, thank goodness for that. :) I have a yard service that comes once a week and takes care of mowing the lawn, keeping the bushes and trees trimmed, and anything else I need done. They've been with me for over 10 years now, come to think of it. :)

Then stay put. If you move into a smaller home, you will have to downsize. And that means having to get rid of a lot of memories. I am still kicking my butt for getting rid of my personally autographed cookbook by Julia Child. I had to get rid of my large bookcase and that was the only one that book fit in. And that was eight years ago. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom