"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #11441
Executive Chef

thanks again, beth, for bringing us a beautifully produced video of this vibrant, colorful marketplace and open air festival held in your town. it captures glimpses of the magnificent mountains which surround you, and the mumford & son concert with renown flutist, robert mirabel . what a fine musical fusion of the english and indian together. i found a vid on youtube of mirabel performing 'the dance'. the movements of the dance seem to defy gravity at times. mirabel is an awesome talent. and, so long as m&s are touring, they will no doubt appear for return engagements to taos, with mirabel in residence there....:)

Old 06-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #11442
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

I'm totally exhausted just reading your post, Bill!
What Dawg said.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #11443
Executive Chef

I'm sitting on the deck watching the grill with my pork loin inside. The wind wants to blow out the flame! It sure does smell good. At least it is a warm wind...just last month we were still having snow. 96 degrees doesn't even feel very hot in this dry heat and this wind. Thee are some fires in the area, and it is so hazy that I can't see the mountains. I feel for the firefighters. I wish for the wind to calm for them.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #11444
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Yup, so far it's been a 13 year vacation! Actually, I've seen the signs. Problem is, people in the towns either side of us have this "I can do it!!!" attitude when they cross, shooting you evil looks while strolling slowly and checking their cellphones. So I got MA's driver's handbook you can have to check all the laws and regulations. HaHa you jaywalkers, the law states you have to be IN a crosswalk. The law states that if you are crossing at a light you must cross WITH the green and cannot impede the flow of traffic when the light is in their favor. By law I could smack that 20-something, droopy-panted, backwards-wearing hat punk with the smug look when he is smack dab between two crosswalks that are a mere 40 feet apart! Then I realize this state has way more lawyers in it needs and I don't want to generate a case - 'cuz you know one of them is gonna crawl out of the woodwork.

* If they were "natives" I would think they should have some idea of how to speak the language...
I grew up in California, where the pedestrian has ABSOLUTE right of way. I once saw a kid jaywalk and a car that didn't stop for him. There was a cop watching. He gave them both tickets. One was for failing to stop for a pedestrian and one was formula jaywalking.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #11445
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

That's what I get for posting under the influence this morning. Tomorrow I get to have my eyes dilated...
(((Hugs))) oh man I hate having my eyes dilated and because I have glaucoma, I have it done at least oncea year.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #11446
Chef Extraordinaire

I am heading over to see mum today, taking her over some lemons and oranges from our trees and having a natter as she is heading off again in a couple of days on a houseboat for a week with friends, sounds great!

I am then heading up to the coffee shop to meet a friend for coffee and cake, another natter
Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #11447
Chef Extraordinaire

I just got home a little whileag. Heated up some letover chili for supper, siting in my recliner with my feet up.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #11448
Chef Extraordinaire

I got a phone call from The Pirate. He is living with a room mate and wants out. He is drunk around the clock. So he applied on line for a job for maintenance today in the same town where his oldest son lives. He got a call back ten minutes after he posted it. The man in Colorado Hdqt. interviewed him right over the phone. It is a very large corporation and liked what my son had to say. He told him his weaknesses as well as his strength. So the man liked what he heard and asked when he could go up to the North Shore for a second interview. The man at the site called him, like what he heard and gave my son the job right over the phone. He got hired without anyone even seeing him. Tomorrow he goes for his drug test. They want him to start next week. He will have too find a studio apt. in the town where the job is. So it looks like my house will get raided once again. Specially the kitchen.

Second piece of good news. For months The Pirate has been trying to save to buy himself a much needed car. But it seems that every time he gets the money together, one of his kids needs something. The last emergency was his youngest son had an infected and impacted wisdom molar. No dental insurance. Where else do you go to but good ole Dad. But today, and just in time for his new job, he was able to buy a crap box of a car. But he is good with cars and can fix it up himself. He was able to also get the insurance for it. Tomorrow he will register it and it will be on the road and he will be all set. One more worry from my life.

Next. I received my new measuring cups and spoons today. The cups are heavy stainless steel and one piece. The handle are short and they don't tip over even if there is just a little ingredients left in the bottom. There is also a little lip on the opposite end from the handle so that they nest evenly. These have both American and Canadian measurements marked. 1 CUP 240ml, 3/4 CUP 180 ml, 2/3 CUP 160 ml, 1/2 CUP 120 ml, 1/3 CUP 80 ml, 1/4 CUP 60 ml.

The spoons are double ended and magnetized. One end is elongated and will fit into spice containers and the other is a regular spoon. They sit flat on the counter so you can pour liquids without having to hold it. Good point if your hands are messy. They nest inside one another and are held together with the magnet in each one. The measurements are clearly marked and engraved on each spoon. They have both American and Canadian measurements marked. The spoons are 1 Tbsp 1.5 mL, 1/2 Tbsp 7.5 mL, 1 tsp 5mL, 1/2 tsp 2.5 mL, 1/4 tsp 1.25mL.

The cups and spoons are bit pricey. But I think they are worth every cent. I am so pleased with them. I finally have a set of cups and spoons I am happy with. I hate plastic ones. My plastic cups have only five cups. This set has six. And there are five spoons. Those will go to The Pirate for his kitchen so he can cook.

I also ordered a larger springform pan today for my g'son's cheesecake. I only have a seven inch one. And with his appetite, I know he will clean out the bigger one.

I didn't get to the mini pies today. I do have the apples cooked, just didn't make it to the pie maker yet. Too many interruptions. Tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #11449
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
...I am looking for recent youtubes of last weeks Mumford and Sons concert here....Many poor quality videos have shown up, but here is link to a really decent sound and visual video....
Don't know if you heard the news, but one of our local TV stations said the bassist from M&S had surgery for a blood clot on his brain! He's OK, resting. They have to cancel three upcoming concerts. Good thing he went to the doc when he wasn't feeling quite right instead of toughing it out.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #11450
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I grew up in California, where the pedestrian has ABSOLUTE right of way. I once saw a kid jaywalk and a car that didn't stop for him. There was a cop watching. He gave them both tickets. One was for failing to stop for a pedestrian and one was formula jaywalking.
Poking a bear here, ya know? Unfortunately, some pedestrians around here (like in the towns either side of ours) believe they have absolute right of way, but that is wrong. Now not only have I checked the state highway manual to be sure they have to cross in a walkway but I also found a MA lawyer's website that says the same:

Massachusetts law favors the rights of pedestrians over vehicles of any type. Usually pedestrians have the right of way, but the right of way is not absolute.

Lawyer goes on to tell the reader they have to be in a crosswalk or at an intersection with a light in their favor. If the lawyer is warning them they aren't going to be able to get any money you KNOW jaywalkers around here are in the wrong!