What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you don't fix it, you're driving around in a junky looking car for three years and when you go to trade it in or sell it, you'll get nothing for it as it's damaged.

If you fix it now, it will at least look good while you use it and the trade-in value will be higher. It may be "branded for life by Carfax" but the unfixed damage pretty clearly say "accident" without the need for a Carfax.

Thanks Andy,

I appreciate your input, I could use an accountant on this one.

The variable that I can't account for is the future value of the insurance money vs the future value of the repairs. My thought is that after 6 years I won't get much for the car, repaired or not. By banking the insurance money I will have approximately 20% of the current value of the vehicle that is free from future depreciation to use as part of the purchase price of the new vehicle.

These riddles always give me a headache, life was so much simpler when I was young and didn't have a choice. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

...By banking the insurance money I will have approximately 20% of the current value of the vehicle that is free from future depreciation to use as part of the purchase price of the new vehicle... :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

With the crappy interest rates on savings accounts right now, your money won't grow much.

Also, you'll get a lot more from a private sale than from a trade-in, especially if the car looks good.

Andy's right that the insurance money won't grow much, but I think it depends on the extent of the damage. Unless the damage is extensive, fixing it might not make much difference when it's 6 years old. Either selling it outright or trading it in, they always want to give you less that it's worth.

Here it is 2:30 in the p.m. and I have zero energy today. I do have to let Rosie out of her corner so she can vacuum. I dropped a really small embroidery needle yesterday and I can't find it. I do know it is somewhere on the rug. I don't want Teddy to step on it. I have slippers with hard soles, so I know I won't step on it. (I never go barefoot.) I emptied her bin yesterday and cleaned her. So she is ready to go again. I just am not in the mood to hear her motor going. She is not real noisy, I am just cranky today.

I also need to order some medications today. Not my favorite thing to do. :angel:

If I was buying a six year old car with three year old damage, I would figure that the owner didn't care much about or for the car.

The damage might seem cosmetic, but will it rust? Will it let moisture into places it wouldn't otherwise? There could be other things that will deteriorate faster without the repairs.

Went to the doctor about the toe I broke in February. It's fine. It's healing, but slowly. The X-ray shows a fracture the length of the proximal phalange. Yes, it might be because of the osteoporosis medication. I've been taking it for 5-6 years, which is usually how long it should be taken for. I won't be taking it anymore. We'll do a bone scan in a year and see how the bones are doing.

Thanks folks!

I did some back of the envelope calculations and it would be cheaper not to fix it, but it really does not begin to pay in a big way until the vehicle is 10 years old. I will talk to the dealer tomorrow and most likely will have the car repaired.

Thanks again, B

I spent the morning with the insurance adjuster looking at my vehicle and preparing an estimate of the cost to repair the damage from Friday's accident. Now I have a dilemma, should I repair the three year old vehicle, or put the insurance money in the bank and continue to drive it with my dents and dings. The damage to the rear of the vehicle is purely cosmetic and fairly minor at first glance yet to fix it will cost approximately 20% of the value of the vehicle and once repaired the vehicle will be branded for life by Carfax. I'm thinking the best strategy is to bank the money and drive it until it is six years old then trade it in or sell it outright. I would appreciate your thoughts on how best to approach this. Thanks, B

If I am looking at a 6 year old car to buy I would be more interested in seeing the maintenance records rather than how it looked. Low mileage and a well maintained car would look okay to me.

If I am looking at a 6 year old car to buy I would be more interested in seeing the maintenance records rather than how it looked. Low mileage and a well maintained car would look okay to me.

That was my original thought. I only drive about six thousand miles a year and the vehicle is a small truck that I use to run around to the flea markets and garage sales. I thought maybe a young guy would want it as a "work" truck and not really be concerned with the cosmetic damage. Taxy's mention of rust does make me think it is best to get it fixed, our winters are really rough on cars. I will talk to the dealer tomorrow and see what they think.

Thanks, B

I'm in an online charity auction and bidding for a couple of condo stays. Should get really ugly in a couple of days!

I have enjoyed this glorious, sunny day so much, my blood pressure went down! :LOL:

I can hear the kitchen calling me. Better scoot before I get myself in any trouble.

I'm in an online charity auction and bidding for a couple of condo stays. Should get really ugly in a couple of days!
I swear you can see the future. :ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to take the bus and pick up my car. I had to leave it in the parking lot at the ophthalmologist because they gave me the horrible pupil-dilating drops. That was at about 14h30. They tell me that they wear off in an hour. I know they take longer for me. I thought they had worn off. I started walking to the bus stop and noticed that all the street lights were still making lots of rays. I might go later this evening or I might just wait until tomorrow. Phooey.

I've been hacking away at an ancient dead yew in one of the gardens, lopping off limbs and branches. It's so full that cutting it off at the base without pruning would be impossible. So now I'm all scraped up and my hair is full of needles.

I've been hacking away at an ancient dead yew in one of the gardens, lopping off limbs and branches. It's so full that cutting it off at the base without pruning would be impossible. So now I'm all scraped up and my hair is full of needles.

I hate yew plants. If there is a smallest piece of paper in the air, the wind will blow it into the thickest part of the plant. And they are so prickly to work with. My sister planted one in her front yard and it lasted for just a half summer. Out it came. She lived on a busy crowded street and in dire need of being cleaned from the sidewalks the whole length of the street. It seems every piece of loose paper floating found its way into that yew plant. :angel:

This yew has a 12" diameter trunk, and is 6' tall. And very dead. It's in a corner of our raised bed garden. What a pain.

I was going to take the bus and pick up my car. I had to leave it in the parking lot at the ophthalmologist because they gave me the horrible pupil-dilating drops. That was at about 14h30. They tell me that they wear off in an hour. I know they take longer for me. I thought they had worn off. I started walking to the bus stop and noticed that all the street lights were still making lots of rays. I might go later this evening or I might just wait until tomorrow. Phooey.

I have the same problem. Now I refuse all eye drops. There are other ways they can test your eyes and see into them without the drops. And at my age, if I think there is anything, no matter how small, I will let the doctor know immediately. :angel:

I remember when I was in college, eons ago, and after having my eyes dialated I had to pick up a hitchhiker in order to drive home. I would not recommend doing that now.

I remember when I was in college, eons ago, and after having my eyes dialated I had to pick up a hitchhiker in order to drive home. I would not recommend doing that now.

That is just downright scary in today's world.

I remember when I had drops in Hawaii. I went from inside to outside right into the Hawaiian noontime sun!. Oh the pain!!! I closed one eye and walked home with the other one closed to a slit. :angel:

Last edited:
This yew has a 12" diameter trunk, and is 6' tall. And very dead. It's in a corner of our raised bed garden. What a pain.

My sister's yew only made it to just a few inches more than when she planted as a baby. Good luck trying to cut the trunk and digging out the roots. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom