What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any shopping is in the town I will be working in, Torrington, not much shopping in Lingle. I have space for a clothesline. Mom and I will be terrors on our bicycles around town on days I am home. I am working night shift, so my days will be screwy. Mom says there is a little garden out back.

Shrek is doing fine with it, he is Mr. "But what if...?" and "You don't know..."
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I looked up Lingle, and it's more a village than a town. Population <500. I lived outside a village of <800 and we had one convenience store with a lunch counter, a church, a library (open a few hours per week), a service station, a post office, a bar, and, until it burned down, a hotel with a bar. We did almost all of our shopping in the town 15 km away. Oh yeah, there were two places one could buy rough cut lumber.

Yay, PF!! Good for Mom to get you the place you want!

Lordy, CWS, where the heck would one find 60 pounds of quail breasts?

CWS, you deserve some kind of medal for all that work. Or at least a back and foot rub.

taxy and PF, Lingle has less than 500 people? :huh: Our neighborhood of six streets probably has more than that!

I'm heading off to bed. Early for me, but I need to switch my time schedule around. Too much to do to be a night owl right now. 'night!

CWS, you deserve some kind of medal for all that work. Or at least a back and foot rub.

taxy and PF, Lingle has less than 500 people? :huh: Our neighborhood of six streets probably has more than that!

I'm heading off to bed. Early for me, but I need to switch my time schedule around. Too much to do to be a night owl right now. 'night!

I did a Google of Lingle. The edge of town is farmland already planted. And I wouldn't be surprised to find the prairie right after that. Now that is my kind of town. :angel:

Yay, PF!! Good for Mom to get you the place you want!

Lordy, CWS, where the heck would one find 60 pounds of quail breasts?
From a wholesale supplier (and they are danged little!). I had four pans going on the stove to sear them for 3 minutes, skin side down, and then 15 prep pans (baker's pans) to do in the oven for 3 minutes, skin side up. Lordy. I think I've nailed how to get a nice sear on the skin side of a quail breast...

Foot massage would have been nice--my feet are still burning. I did soak them in Epsom salts tonight, my feet, not the quail. Back not a problem. That I a bit of a surprise because the floor is sloped. The fatigue matts definitely help.

What I seem to be doing lately is having email conversations about Mom. She's 81. Dad died a few years ago, and it's become apparent that she can no longer live alone. She's amenable to going to one sibling to live, and that sibling is willing to have her, but others think she should go directly to assisted living. They all live fairly close together, I'm halfway across the country. I don't feel my input should be primary, but they do want my input. I feel that she should go with this sister and see how it works out. Even if it doesn't, it gives wriggle room for finding the right assisted living place.

I also warned of something none of them seem aware of, and that is the pitfall of becoming financially liable for her long term care, that finances have to be looked at carefully and kept separate. I don't know a lot of details about this and am looking for sources.

Anyone know of any source material on the above? Phone lines, legal aid available to my sister, etc.?

What I seem to be doing lately is having email conversations about Mom. She's 81. Dad died a few years ago, and it's become apparent that she can no longer live alone. She's amenable to going to one sibling to live, and that sibling is willing to have her, but others think she should go directly to assisted living. They all live fairly close together, I'm halfway across the country. I don't feel my input should be primary, but they do want my input. I feel that she should go with this sister and see how it works out. Even if it doesn't, it gives wriggle room for finding the right assisted living place.

I also warned of something none of them seem aware of, and that is the pitfall of becoming financially liable for her long term care, that finances have to be looked at carefully and kept separate. I don't know a lot of details about this and am looking for sources.

Anyone know of any source material on the above? Phone lines, legal aid available to my sister, etc.?

That sounds like an urban myth to me. I handled my mothers finances and was never held responsible for expenses not covered by her personally or by her insurance.

It is true that you should carefully document where her money comes from and where it goes so that you can prove to the folks at medicaid that no resources have been transferred out of her name and that all funds have been used for her comfort and care. When I was doing this the medicaid look back was three years it may have been increased to five, not sure.

In my mother's case she was self supporting, she added my name to her checking account, where her pension and social security were deposited, I paid her bills from that. I wrote a check to cash every month for $100.00 for personal items. I kept it in an envelope and as it was spent I put the receipts into the envelope. I started a fresh envelope each month and filed the old one. When I cashed investments in to pay for the assisted living, that money was deposited into the checking account so we had a clear audit trail.

If everyone is honest and above board it is not a big hassle. I got more grief from my brothers and sisters than I did from the government. Like Cyndi Lauper said "Money changes everything..."!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good luck!

Last edited:
I too have my daughter on my checking account. But all four of my kids are completely aware of my finances. And I also have a will. I don't have much, but each one of my kids has expressed their interest in certain items. And I have only one beneficiary on my insurance. All the kids know that the monies from that go to pay for my funeral. No one gets a share of that. I considered making the funeral home the beneficiary, but I will leave it up to the kids which one they want to use. I told them to shop around for the cheapest. They will. And even then it won't cover the whole cost. But it will make a sizable dent if they follow my wishes.

My biggest problem is my granddaughter. I finished raising her when her mother died. She has become a big disappointment. It has been more than two years since I heard from her. I call and all I get is her voice mail. Never a call back. Her and her children were the only absent ones from my 75th birthday bash. But her husband called and wanted information about the possibility of any benefits from the tribe in Maine to help pay the great granddaughter's college tuition. Sorry. No money there for her. From the way my kids talk, I don't think they will notify her of my death. Can't say that I blame them. :angel:

Last edited:
I'm getting that house, Dad says it's perfect!!!! I should be able to move right in as soon as we get there. AND the washer and dryer come with the property. Mom said she walked in and decided it was perfect for her Ogres.

Congrats!

It does seem like the perfect digs for you, a little funky and a big kitchen! And the price, that has to be a lot cheaper per month than renting an apartment!

Actually 510 people as of last Census. The town itself is only 0.31 square miles. There might be a little cafe on the next block and the post office is on the other corner of my block on Main St. I fell asleep while looking up these statistics and looking at Google maps. I did find a Google map of Mom out in her yard.

Claire! Good to see you!

Be sure to talk to Aging Services in your mother's area, they should be able to help your sister and mom figure out financial and personal responsibilities. Your sister may need Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care or complete guardianship. The DPOA allows your Mother to continue to be her own person until circumstances change in her mentation and/or health.

My personal insight, I think the Assisted Living facility is the right way to go. People always ask me, "When should I put Mom/Dad in the nursing home/assisted living?" My reply, "The day before you get burned out providing care for them." Burned out family don't visit often:(

Not the perfect answer but I hope it provides some guidance.

Congrats!

It does seem like the perfect digs for you, a little funky and a big kitchen! And the price, that has to be a lot cheaper per month than renting an apartment!

Thank Goodness we are Ogres and not Trolls...all that light would not be beneficial. And windows that look at people, not their feet. Shrek will have a whole two blocks to roam. And the police department/city hall is literally across the street, it has a one woman police force.

A town with no stop lights...:)

Thank Goodness we are Ogres and not Trolls...all that light would not be beneficial. And windows that look at people, not their feet. Shrek will have a whole two blocks to roam. And the police department/city hall is literally across the street, it has a one woman police force.

I suppose the closest you would come to a town rioting is two old codgers arguing how old the newcomers are. No lights to stop you and Mom on your bicycles. Lingle will never be the same after you and Shrek arrive.

And did you notice a fly swatter comes with the house? :angel:

Last edited:
Well, Main street is State Highway 85, also called the Greeley Highway, State Highway 26 and the CanAm Highway. So it might actually have some traffic on the way through. The train tracks are 2 blocks away and a coal train goes through every 20 minutes during the day, they all come back empty at night.

Not even sure Mom has a bicycle...may have to get her one.

Gotta say I was expecting something more swamp like!

I grew up in a town with no stop lights. We had a church, a town office, and a little country store. Rob thought it was very amusing that when we went to get our marriage license, we were greeted at the door by a golden retriever. :LOL:

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I grew up in a town with no stop lights. We had a church, a town office, and a little country store. Rob thought it was very amusing that when we went to get our marriage license, we were greeted at the door by a golden retriever. :LOL:

Makes sense. Golden Retrievers are smart dogs. They make very good greeters.

I'm going nuts. Mom and Dad are going to lend us the money for a down payment on a house in Lingle or Torrington. Now I need to find a house and hopefully be able to move in quickly. M&D are looking at a place tomorrow for us. It's an old store remodeled into a 1 bedroom/2 bath single family home. 1800 sq feet for 62k. No yard (yeah!)

It is literally in what used to be downtown Lingle, WY. It's oddball and a perfect fit for Shrek and I. The kitchen alone is three times the size of the one I have now.
Woo-Hoo! Love!

City Ogres are a bit more refined...but just a bit.:LOL:

If I knocked on the door of my future home today, I would be greeted by two mastiffs and the Chief of Police. Mom said it was quite the greeting yesterday when they went to look.

Back
Top Bottom