What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm listening to the Cavaliers/Hawks basketball game. IF they win tonight, they could conceivably finish off the series Tuesday while playing at home in Cleveland. That would put them into the NBA championship round! Although baseball is my first love, Cleveland has gone through such a long drought without a sports champion (since 1964) that I would be happy with basketball.

Here there aren't a lot of samples. Besides, I find them annoying, 'cause I have to read the ingredients on the package before tasting. There is soy in so much stuff it isn't funny.

Being diabetic and on diet control alone, I don't do samples as I don't know what is in them. When I look at the carb levels sometimes, I run in the opposite direction. :angel:

Andy and any other member that lives in Massachusetts. At the end of June most of the people who serve us little folks at the Registry and other Commonwealth offices, will be retiring. As of this date there is no plan in place to replace them. The severance package is too sweet for them to keep working. The Governor is determined to bring the budget under control. So if you have business with any of the agencies, start now or you are going to find yourself standing in long, long lines. My daughter does the Cory reports for the State Police and registrations for car dealerships. She also handles setting up appointments for hearing for folks who are trying to get their license back. She spoke to her supervisor and asked her (who is also retiring) if she is going to send someone to her desk to train them to take over her job. "I don't know. I will have to ask my supervisor (who is also retiring)."

This whole plan has not been well thought out. If any of you receive Medicaid or MassHealth, and need information or services, do it now. Or you may not get the service you are in need of. If you are planning on purchasing a new vehicle, do it now. There may be no one available to help you register it. If the car dealership doesn't register the new vehicles coming from the manufacturer, then you can't register it either. If the Registry doesn't have the information from the dealership in their system, then, Oh Well! :angel:

Shopping for an electric lawn mower.
Does anyone here own one?
The pro's I see for switching from gas to electric are.

1.)No more trying to pour gas from a huge container to a smaller more manageable one. I always end up spilling some.

2.)No more oil checking

3.)When it doesn't start no more cleaning the filters or carburetors.Buying a new spark plug

4.)No more broken pull cords

5.)Fire season is here.Don't want to worry about that possibility

My gas mower is beyond dead.I've done everything that's possible to do to get it started again.Enough is enough.

So I'm thinking of buying an electric one.Not too sure about it though I've never owned one.Anything in particular that I should be looking for?

This is one of the models I'm looking at.
Amazon.com : GreenWorks 25142 10 Amp Corded 16-Inch Lawn Mower : Walk Behind Lawn Mowers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I like how it folds down. And that's it fairly lightweight for my use.

How much grass do you have to cut/how long of a cord do you need? Are there a lot of trees/shrubs/etc in the lawn area that a cord could get wrapped around? Also, there is some effort required to drag a long cord around the yard.

How much grass do you have to cut/how long of a cord do you need? Are there a lot of trees/shrubs/etc in the lawn area that a cord could get wrapped around? Also, there is some effort required to drag a long cord around the yard.

Not sure the exact measurement of the back yard.It's a very large area.It is a wrap around.First side I'd say it's about 6x18'.Back continues on it's the largest spot.Even wider, longer stretch.Other side is about the same as the first.We've removed all the trees (neighbors killed the whole section)They owe me 9.The back yard no longer has grass.Just tall, thick weeds now.That need to be cut down. Removed. We've had to let it go because of the drought.The sprinkler system heads drop back into the ground.They shouldn't be a problem.

The front yard is a small one.The size of an average driveway. Free and clear of trees and bushes.We have them.They just won't be in the way.
We do have outlets on all sides of the house for the cords.Plenty in stock.Wound and ready to go.

What I really don't get is the AMP's this one is 10.They have others with batteries. Don't think I want one of those.

I feel like I'm dumbing down not buying a new gas mower.They've all I've ever known.But I'd also like to not get hurt trying to start a mower that's old 15.It's had it's fun.Time to move on and go easy for a change

Does this one look cheap?I see it's made in China.

From what I can read, this is a push mower, the wheels are not power driven so you have to push the mower and pull the cord through the grass. That can be tiring.

The 10 amps is the power rating, like horsepower. I don't know if it will have enough power to cut through the heavy weeds without bogging down. That is, if you can push it through the weeds.

From what I can read, this is a push mower, the wheels are not power driven so you have to push the mower and pull the cord through the grass. That can be tiring.

The 10 amps is the power rating, like horsepower. I don't know if it will have enough power to cut through the heavy weeds without bogging down. That is, if you can push it through the weeds.

Thanks Andy.Appreciate the help.
Looks like what I need is someone to open the RV gate and disk the whole thing up for me.Without taking the sprinkler system with it.:angel::ohmy:

The front yard that mower would have been a breeze.
It's a shame the local landscaper retired.

Forget a new mower, Chef Munky. What you probably could use are a few of these:

tumblr_ly9o8yL2Gf1qij6tx.jpg

Hey, yeah!
Each has 5 AMP's.Together they're the 15 AMP Dynamic Duo.
Munky's yard to the rescue! LOL!

Righty O Sir!:ROFLMAO::LOL:

I wouldn't let those cuties work. I'd be too busy hugging them.
Look I have a new pet. Ennie. Meenie. Miney, and.. sorry we lost Mo in the last yard.:angel::LOL:

Trying to come up with sides/salads for three of the dishes I have to cook tomorrow. Problem, I have to "fast forward" to about mid-July and figure out what might be in the garden/farmer's market then...

Thanks Andy.Appreciate the help.
Looks like what I need is someone to open the RV gate and disk the whole thing up for me.Without taking the sprinkler system with it.:angel::ohmy:

The front yard that mower would have been a breeze.
It's a shame the local landscaper retired.

Munky, when I lived in Texas, we had a piece of land that was full of Texas size weeds higher than me. Mowing the front lawn was a snap. And we had a heavy duty gasoline mower. But when we went to tackle the tall weeds, that was another story. We would put the mower half on the lawn and the other half of the cutting blade on the weeds. We ended up hiring a man to come in with his cycle to cut them down to size for the mower to handle. And we were going really slow with the mower. The blade kept getting clogged up and shutting the mower down. So tip it over, carefully remove what we could safely remove without losing a few fingers or hand, and try again. No matter how me mowed that patch of overgrown weeds, the mower could not handle it. I doubt very much that the electric one would be able to hand those weeds you have without a lot of problems.

BTW, it was necessary to cut those weeds as it was a hot house for water moccasin snakes. When we finally was able to get in there, all you could hear was clunk, clunk, clunk and see the meat go flying. You knew you got another one or a nest of the dang things! :angel:

I'm getting ready for an afternoon with one of my closest friends.

We started making an afghan together for a special bride last year. She loved it and now we are just about to put our second one together. Now there is another who just got married (we thought we had until next year), two more engagements and 3 babies! We actually have people asking us to make one for them to give to someone! Never thought this would become a "job", but we love to get together to plan, put together and just have fun. We do the crocheting separately mostly from scrap yarns we have in our well loaded wool stashes!

I'm getting ready for an afternoon with one of my closest friends.

We started making an afghan together for a special bride last year. She loved it and now we are just about to put our second one together. Now there is another who just got married (we thought we had until next year), two more engagements and 3 babies! We actually have people asking us to make one for them to give to someone! Never thought this would become a "job", but we love to get together to plan, put together and just have fun. We do the crocheting separately mostly from scrap yarns we have in our well loaded wool stashes!

Sounds like a lot of fun. There is something special when a bunch of women get together for the purpose of accomplishing something for another person. Your fingers seem to fly faster. :angel: For the ladies in your group.

When I go to Winthrop, they have a knitting group that meets Tuesday and Thursday. I plan all my appointments for those two days. Even though they call it a knitting club, we crochet, do needle work (me and one other) and any other hand craft that is one's fancy. They make baby hats for the newborns at a hospital in town. And one woman make outfits for burial of stillborns or those that didn't make it. One woman makes complete "take baby home in" outfits. Each person has their own agenda. Except me. I do my needlework. The skills of these women is amazing. I can knit and crochet, but I prefer needlework. It is a fun way to pass the time. :angel:

Last edited:
That's awesome, LP. I've got afghans and shawls from way back that my late mother and gma made, some of them I still use.

Addie, glad to hear you do needlework so often. Do you have any pics of your work that you'd care to share?

I have a gorgeous quilt that my grandmother hand stitched from remnants of clothes I wore as a little child. :)

That's awesome, LP. I've got afghans and shawls from way back that my late mother and gma made, some of them I still use.

Addie, glad to hear you do needlework so often. Do you have any pics of your work that you'd care to share?

I have a gorgeous quilt that my grandmother hand stitched from remnants of clothes I wore as a little child. :)

Yes I do. I will have to hunt for it on the computer. I have way too many pics on this dang computer. I need to put them on a disc. :angel:

Thanks Addie and Cheryl,
It is a lot of fun and a great way to forget all your aches, pains and troubles!

Addie, I would love to see some of your needlework if you have pictures.

Cheryl, cherish those treasures from your Mom and Grandma. I have some from my Mom that I love. In fact, when we were cleaning out the apartment when Dad came to live with us, my sister and I found a tote with a bunch of items that none of us knew my Mom had made. One is a white boy's sweater with coloured "crayons" on front and back. It is about a 3 year-old size. I held on to all of the stuff not knowing what to do with it. My nephew and his wife just had a baby boy and so I whipped up a stuffed elephant for them from TB and I and wrapped up the sweater with a card saying with love from your great grandma Pat. They live in Toronto so called when they got it and were so thrilled. I know my Mom would be happy for sure!

I'm sipping some peppermint tea in hopes of stopping my cough so I can get some sleep soon. This is becoming a nightly occurrence!

Thanks Addie and Cheryl,
It is a lot of fun and a great way to forget all your aches, pains and troubles!

Addie, I would love to see some of your needlework if you have pictures.

Cheryl, cherish those treasures from your Mom and Grandma. I have some from my Mom that I love. In fact, when we were cleaning out the apartment when Dad came to live with us, my sister and I found a tote with a bunch of items that none of us knew my Mom had made. One is a white boy's sweater with coloured "crayons" on front and back. It is about a 3 year-old size. I held on to all of the stuff not knowing what to do with it. My nephew and his wife just had a baby boy and so I whipped up a stuffed elephant for them from TB and I and wrapped up the sweater with a card saying with love from your great grandma Pat. They live in Toronto so called when they got it and were so thrilled. I know my Mom would be happy for sure!

I'm sipping some peppermint tea in hopes of stopping my cough so I can get some sleep soon. This is becoming a nightly occurrence!

What a nice story, LP. :) I do treasure those - I feel kind of bad that the quilt my grandma made is carefully packed in a storage box, but I just don't want anything to happen to it from everyday life. You've inspired me though - I might get it out and put it on the bed in the guest room. At least I'd be able to look at it now and then. That's what she would have wanted, after all.

Hope you feel better. :)

What a nice story, LP. :) I do treasure those - I feel kind of bad that the quilt my grandma made is carefully packed in a storage box, but I just don't want anything to happen to it from everyday life. You've inspired me though - I might get it out and put it on the bed in the guest room. At least I'd be able to look at it now and then. That's what she would have wanted, after all.

Hope you feel better. :)

Use the quilt, Cheryl! I have several treasured quilts, made by both DH's and my great grandmother and other relatives. They won't keep you warm when you're no longer here and don't need them anymore!

I keep one on the guest bed, and rotate. They were made to be used and loved.

Last edited:
I am sitting here with a dumb look on my face. Have any of you seen the ad for the Samsung Washer with a built in sink? It is a top loader.

The purpose of the sink is to handle tough stains like blood or hand wash your delicates. It has a surface similar to those scrubbing boards that your grandparents might have used. It allows you to scrub any tough stains out before you put it in the washer.

Do we need one of these? The price starts at the $800 mark and goes all the way up to the $1,000+ mark.

Samsung Activewash Washing Machine Preview - CNET :angel:

Back
Top Bottom