What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just returned from the local farmers market with a quart of strawberries and a dozen large brown eggs.

The berries are hulled, sliced and chilling in the fridge, I'm dreaming about an ice cold dish of them under a billowy cloud of whipped cream. :yum:

Oh how I miss those warm baking powder biscuits slathered with butter and covered with strawberries and whipped cream! :pig:

When we were kids my mother would make strawberry shortcake for our Sunday dinner once or twice during strawberry season, nothing else just shortcake. She filled her big 1950's yellow pyrex bowl with sweetened strawberries and the red pyrex bowl was filled with whipped cream. The huge baking powder biscuits were made to fit into a rimmed soup plate by using a coffee can or large tomato can as the cutter. We would carry everything out into the back yard and eat under an ancient apple tree in the yard. Today a set of those old pyrex bowls will set you back quite a few bucks on Ebay. I guess I'm not the only person that has memories of them. It's funny how we give value and power to things from our past that trigger memories of happy times.

Last edited:
Just returned from the local farmers market with a quart of strawberries and a dozen large brown eggs.

The berries are hulled, sliced and chilling in the fridge, I'm dreaming about an ice cold dish of them under a billowy cloud of whipped cream. :yum:

Oh how I miss those warm baking powder biscuits slathered with butter and covered with strawberries and whipped cream! :pig:

When we were kids my mother would make strawberry shortcake for our Sunday dinner once or twice during strawberry season, nothing else just shortcake. She filled her big 1950's yellow Pyrex bowl with sweetened strawberries and the red Pyrex bowl was filled with whipped cream. The huge baking powder biscuits were made to fit into a rimmed soup plate by using a coffee can or large tomato can as the cutter. We would carry everything out into the back yard and eat under an ancient apple tree in the yard. Today a set of those old Pyrex bowls will set you back quite a few bucks on Ebay. I guess I'm not the only person that has memories of them. It's funny how we give value and power to things from our past that trigger memories of happy times.

Aunt Bea, I don't think I have ever made shortcake with biscuits. I once had it at a wedding and loved the way it was constructed. So I have been making mine that same way ever since. A small pool of strawberry juice on the bottom for the first slice of pound cake to sit in. Then a slice of pound cake, another spoonful of SJ, strawberries, whipped cream. Repeat a second layer and top the strawberries with ice cream and whipped cream, then pour chocolate syrup on top of that. It is a meal in and of itself. Now you have me hungry for strawberry shortcake. Dang you! I hate being a diabetic. :angel:

I belong to a gardening forum and discovered a plant I had in a pot needed now to be settled into the ground (dislikes being potted). It's growth was stunted this year, despite feeds - having outgrown its container.

So I have just transplanted the young choisya/Mexican Orange Blossom plant from its large terracotta pot container into the front garden. It was quite a major job, taking about 2 hours to do properly (quite an involved process) but worthwhile.

Last edited:
I took SO to the airport this morning for a 10-day visit in Florida with her children, grandchildren and grandchild.

On the way home I did some grocery shopping and stopped at Costco. Sadly they don't have the Starbucks Caffe Verona K-cups I like as a backup to grinding my own. Picked up a rack of lamb for one of my "while she's away" dinners.

And so the kitchen fun begins, eh Andy? Looking forward to what you'll be fixin' up for the next week or so.

Me too. My older daughter and grandson are coming for dinner tomorrow night. I have some lamb marinating in onion and garlic for shish kebab. I'll roast green peppers, tomatoes, onion and zucchini as a side dish along with pilaf. This was a favorite summer dinner when I was a tike. Mom would prep the meat and veggies, dad would light up a cheap charcoal grill and cook them. It's the only way DD will eat lamb. That's OK with me. At least she'll eat it.

I need to make grandson's favorite cake for dessert. After all, I'm the best baker in the world, according to him. :) :)

As I mentioned earlier, SO is in Florida visiting family. Our 12 YO grandson, SO's daughter's son, just had brain surgery. He had been acting strangely, not concentrating, had trouble walking, etc. Turns out he had fluid in his brain that was not draining off. Further investigation revealed a small benign tumor at the base of his brain. The doctor performed surgery to drain off the fluid. After the surgery, he was back to his old self so quickly everyone was amazed.

They are watching for possible issues with his eyesight and monitoring the fluid situation. Right now he's doing very well and we are all greatly relieved.

Andy, I'm sure you'll miss your SO, but you'll get to have all your faves that she doesn't care for. That's always kinda fun.
Edited, just read your post, Andy....so glad to hear grandson is doing well after his surgery. That's a very scary thing. Best wishes to all.

OMGosh.....what have I been doing...:ohmy: Well, yesterday and the day before was spent on the phone with my girls, making shopping lists and shopping for tomorrow's birthday/housewarming party for my youngest girl. She's 30 today, and they just bought their first home and moved in.

Today I made a potato salad for an army, a couple of dozen deviled eggs, cleaned, chopped and sliced an enormous amount of veggies and fruits, made dips, got out my fave pretty serving bowls and trays that I hardly ever get to use - some were my mother's :), and cleaned them...keeping mindful of the littles that will be there and having plenty of peanut butter and ranch dressing for their celery and carrots as they may not like the dips...my older daughter is making and bringing the fixins' for roast beef sammies on French rolls with au jus, so I had to buy 20 little ramekins for the au jus so everyone would have the same little cup :LOL:, and she's making her wonderful from scratch chocolate cake. :ohmy: I'm exhausted, but it's going to be a great get together and we're all so looking forward to it! :)

Last edited:
Andy, I'm happy for you all that your grandson had that problem caught and fixed. Hope he continues with good health.

Cheryl, sounds like you all have a wonderfully fun day ahead. And aren't you the generous one, what with all those deviled eggs. They must have cost as much as everything else combined! :ohmy:

Andy, I'm happy for you all that your grandson had that problem caught and fixed. Hope he continues with good health.

Cheryl, sounds like you all have a wonderfully fun day ahead. And aren't you the generous one, what with all those deviled eggs. They must have cost as much as everything else combined! :ohmy:

Thanks, CG, it's going to be a great day with all the friends and family.

I already had two dozen eggs, but when I went to the store to buy another dozen I still kind of had the shock factor to see they've gone up from $2.50/dz. to $4.00. :ohmy:

Last edited:
Wow Andy, that must have been quite a scare. Glad to read things are going well.

Cheryl, I got tired just reading all the stuff you did. Enjoy your party.

Andy, prayers for your :angel:grandson:angel: and your family. Been there, done that. Not a fun place to be. So glad to hear of the happy ending. BTW, a couple of angels for him and the family. They worked for me and my daughter, I know they will work for you and yours. :angel:

I'm waiting for Stirling to get dressed. We are taking my sister for a sight seeing drive along the lake shore. She's visiting for a few days from California. I haven't seen her since January 2011.

I'm waiting for Stirling to get dressed. We are taking my sister for a sight seeing drive along the lake shore. She's visiting for a few days from California. I haven't seen her since January 2011.

Enjoy!

I'm preparing for a friend coming over. I haven't seen her since 2008. It's nice to see someone after so long, isn't it?

When we were kids my mother would make strawberry shortcake for our Sunday dinner once or twice during strawberry season, nothing else just shortcake. She filled her big 1950's yellow pyrex bowl with sweetened strawberries and the red pyrex bowl was filled with whipped cream. The huge baking powder biscuits were made to fit into a rimmed soup plate by using a coffee can or large tomato can as the cutter. We would carry everything out into the back yard and eat under an ancient apple tree in the yard. Today a set of those old pyrex bowls will set you back quite a few bucks on Ebay. I guess I'm not the only person that has memories of them. It's funny how we give value and power to things from our past that trigger memories of happy times.

Growing up in Maine, biscuits were almost always used for strawberry shortcake, yeah some people would cheat and make a cake mix, but the biscuits were always my favorite way to eat shortcake. Imagine my surprise when I moved to the south, the land of delicious biscuits, doesn't eat their shortcake this way! I've converted quite a few people to shortcake made with biscuits, as this is really what a "shortcake" is.

Getting ready for company. Going to grill some burgers served on homemade buns with all the fixings. Made a baked potato salad to go with.

Dessert is this cherry chocolate trifle recipe from Nigella Lawson. The chocolate custard is AMAZING, deep chocolate flavor. The custard is a bit fussy with it being thickened by egg yolks only, but well worth the effort. The only changes made was Kirsch instead of cherry brandy and since my trifle bowl was a bit more narrow, I made more layers.

Can't wait to get eating!

Last edited:
bakechef, I just glanced over that trifle recipe. Gained two pounds. :(

I hear you on the biscuits-for-strawberry-shortcakes. My Mom made one that was just a wee bit sweet, and oh-so-tender. :yum: I get married, and what does Himself prefer? Those stinkin' sponges they sell in the four- or 6-count packages. Yuck. We compromise and have angel food cake or Sarah Lee's pound cake. Every once in a while I'm nice and get sponges for him, but then I have to keep it even by making biscuits for me. ;)

Have a nice visit with your company.

Back
Top Bottom