"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #1171
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I wish you could too Addie. Hanging up the laundry was one thing that I could do right to please my mother. She also would let me pin the lace curtains onto a wood frame to dry. ( Anyone else remember those wooden frames)?
Aah yes. Curtain stretchers. Stab your fingers until they almost fell off. Then put them outside in the sun to dry really stiff with starch.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #1172
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Good grief, that must have been miserable. Norovirus is the one reported on cruise ships too.
Commonly called "Stomach Flu" they changed the distinction to norovirus to differentiate it from Influenza, which is respiratory.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #1173
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Brought the DW home last night and had my grandson from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM then off to a meeting.

Looks like a job for Friday.
Well... you got the easy part done!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #1174
Executive Chef

can employees really be forced to report to work sick?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #1175
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Commonly called "Stomach Flu" they changed the distinction to norovirus to differentiate it from Influenza, which is respiratory.
Oddly enough I wasn't vomiting. The problem was in my lower tract. Yet both my boys were. Go figure.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #1176
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
In this state they can if it is in the interest of public safety or health.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #1177
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
Most of us who worked sick were volunteers, me...I'd rather be sick at work where there are tiled floors and a toilet in every room.

If you work in healthcare and everyone is sick, the employer has no choice but to demand the shifts be filled, we worked incredibly short. All non-essential staff (not direct care) were made to stay home so they would not get sick, too. We had people who were not sick in "moonsuits" removing those patients/residents who were not sick to an isolated unit. The kitchen staff left the food carts at the doors of the units. And they would run away

Fortunately, those of us who love taking care of the elderly would rather be at work helping them, whether we are sick or not. For three weeks I worked 8 hours on, 8 off until the last of the norovirus left the building and we were cleared.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #1178
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Most of us who worked sick were volunteers, me...I'd rather be sick at work where there are tiled floors and a toilet in every room.

Fortunately, those of us who love taking care of the elderly would rather be at work helping them, whether we are sick or not. For three weeks I worked 8 hours on, 8 off until the last of the norovirus left the building and we were cleared.
I have to be declared 'symptom free' for 72 hours before I will be allowed to go and have my vitals check. When the delivery man brught my meds today, he had on a mask and rubber gloves. After I handed his pen back, he took off his gloves and put on a new pair before he would take it. Sounds extreme, but this bug is racing through three cities and towns that I know of. And for the elderly, it can turn into a killer.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #1179
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have to be declared 'symptom free' for 72 hours before I will be allowed to go and have my vitals check. When the delivery man brught my meds today, he had on a mask and rubber gloves. After I handed his pen back, he took off his gloves and put on a new pair before he would take it. Sounds extreme, but this bug is racing through three cities and towns that I know of. And for the elderly, it can turn into a killer.
Exactly, it is very hard on the elderly. I got it twice, the second time was not as bad, but I was still a lot better off than most of my patients. We couldn't even accept outside help, why make more people sick if you are already in quarantine? Out of 170 residents and patients we only lost three, it could have been much worse.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #1180
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Exactly, it is very hard on the elderly. I got it twice, the second time was not as bad, but I was still a lot better off than most of my patients. We couldn't even accept outside help, why make more people sick if you are already in quarantine? Out of 170 residents and patients we only lost three, it could have been much worse.
Even 3 is horrid. So sad. Must have been so hard on everyone.

« Midnite Oil Cafe | - »