What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what Spike showed me, it is like a tablet. A touch screen with a lot of windows open at the same time. :angel:

BTW, Windows has been able to have a lot of windows open at the same time for many years. That might even be the primary feature that differentiates it from a DOS computer.

Windows 10 won't make an old computer a touch screen. The graphics look more like a touch screen, but unless you have a touch screen monitor, it won't work that way.

I'm not using it yet, but we were looking at a new laptop for me yesterday (my five-year-old HP died) and several of the new models are called 2 in 1 - the monitor flips around so it lies flat with the screen facing out and it works like a tablet.

DH has had Windows 10 on his work laptop for quite a while. He was irritated with it at first but says you get used to it.

If I wanted to have W10, there is a part I would order from Microsoft and install it on my tower. It is free. Spike showed me the very minimum because he knew I wouldn't be interested. And he was right. :angel:

Windows 10 is really not a big change, for me, mostly different looking icons and different locations for some things. My problem is that I get set in my ways and things that have been more or less automatic mindless tasks will take some thought for a few days while I adjust. I really try to look at it as sort of a puzzle or brain teaser. Living alone for the last ten years without employment or much human contact has caused my brain to deteriorate and little bumps in the road, like Windows 10, help to shake things up a little.

As far as the installation itself goes it went fine, just allow a couple of hours for it when you do not need to use the machine.

I didn't need any hardware or equipment. I just downloaded it while I was surfing the net yesterday and installed it this morning while I was having coffee. I had to change a few things, like using Mozilla Firefox instead of Microsoft's e. So far so good! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Aunt Bea, does Windows 10 allow you the option of the old home screen? When we bought "George" we were able to set the start-up screen to look just like the old style with shortcut icons, instead of the new version that has all of those "tiles". Since I do not have a touch screen laptop but I DO have a touchscreen smart phone, I really need to keep those two worlds looking different to make it easy on my foggy brain. :LOL: Good luck with your personal transition to Win-10.

I was sitting here going through the kitchen stuff in the Zulily site. There is this little "counter wiper" for $5.00. Huh? It is a metal blade only as wide as your four fingers. I have one of them. It is called a bench scraper. And it is wider and does a better job. I just never though of it as an instrument to scrape the whole counter for other then when pie making. Now I know. There is more than one use for my bench scraper. :angel:
I would be concerned that a metal bench scraper would scratch the heck out of my counter top. I use some sort of protection between the counter and what I work on: wooden pastry board for pie crusts and such, cutting boards for everything including slicing bread (although Himself insists "his" knife never touches the counter when he slices bread :glare: ), I even put a pot holder down for something as simple as a plate. I want the counter surface to look as nice as possible for as long as possible.

I would be concerned that a metal bench scraper would scratch the heck out of my counter top. I use some sort of protection between the counter and what I work on: wooden pastry board for pie crusts and such, cutting boards for everything including slicing bread (although Himself insists "his" knife never touches the counter when he slices bread :glare: ), I even put a pot holder down for something as simple as a plate. I want the counter surface to look as nice as possible for as long as possible.

These counters are from the 80's. Possibly even earlier. And nothing can damage them. When they converted this school building to apartments for the elderly, believe me when I tell you the least amount of money was spent for any installations or equipment. And if there was to be any significant damage to any thing in the apartment, you can bet that they will put in an even cheaper replacement. Maintenance buys the stock at Home Depot that they can't sell and is sitting in the back room. Unless the equipment such as a fridge is completely out of commission, they will take it back to their work shop and put in a motor or other piece of equipment from another fridge. They have a box of drip pans downstairs in the supply closet. All the stoves are the same. If you need a new one, the maintenance manager becomes argumentative and tries to give you a half cleaned used one. One tenant refused to accept it and called HUD to report him. We now get new ones out of that big box.

No, I don't worry about the counters. And maintenance worries even less. :angel:

Aunt Bea, does Windows 10 allow you the option of the old home screen? When we bought "George" we were able to set the start-up screen to look just like the old style with shortcut icons, instead of the new version that has all of those "tiles". Since I do not have a touch screen laptop but I DO have a touchscreen smart phone, I really need to keep those two worlds looking different to make it easy on my foggy brain. :LOL: Good luck with your personal transition to Win-10.

All of my shortcuts came over in the upgrade and look the same as they did before, even have the same ugly wallpaper! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm gearing up for my monthly marathon of shopping.

I've cleared the counters, and made room in the fridge and freezer.

My lists are ready except for a last minute check of my pantry.

I got the cable bill ready to pay, but they have a system error and can't process it yet. It's happened before and will probably be okay by the time I'm ready to leave (7am).

I'm feeling energetic so I'll be off to a good start, but I'm sure I'll be dragging by the time I'm finished!

I'm gearing up for my monthly marathon of shopping.

I've cleared the counters, and made room in the fridge and freezer.

My lists are ready except for a last minute check of my pantry.

I got the cable bill ready to pay, but they have a system error and can't process it yet. It's happened before and will probably be okay by the time I'm ready to leave (7am).

I'm feeling energetic so I'll be off to a good start, but I'm sure I'll be dragging by the time I'm finished!

Seven fifteen a.m. and I am ready to go out the door. Just waiting on Spike. He is still walking Teddy. Happy shopping Z. :angel:

Thanks, Taxy!

I made it home with all my shopping done. Hopefully a few beers will take away some of the pain.

All the groceries are put away.

Now, I'm working on my meal planning using my new goodies.

It's my favorite part of my favorite day of the month (payday).

Tomorrow will be prep day, chopping, packaging and freezing various goodies, but no hurry.

I'm really sore right now, but I'm in a great mood knowing I've accomplished everything I needed to.

Addie? Did you make it home yet?

All of my shortcuts came over in the upgrade and look the same as they did before...
Thanks, AB. I mentioned your post to Himself. He said the "new" Windows 10 looks and acts a lot like the old Windows 7. Seems that Microsoft caved in to the wants of their customers. Go figure! :LOL:

...I made it home with all my shopping done. Hopefully a few beers will take away some of the pain...
Nothing like a little alcohol rubdown from the inside. ;)

Thanks, AB. I mentioned your post to Himself. He said the "new" Windows 10 looks and acts a lot like the old Windows 7. Seems that Microsoft caved in to the wants of their customers. Go figure! :LOL:

Nothing like a little alcohol rubdown from the inside. ;)

I think you're right. I feel better, but not up to par. I'm still awake, but ready to hit the sack. I'm just afraid I'll wake up feeling more sore.

*sigh*

Getting old sucks!

Thanks, Taxy!

I made it home with all my shopping done. Hopefully a few beers will take away some of the pain.

All the groceries are put away.

Now, I'm working on my meal planning using my new goodies.

It's my favorite part of my favorite day of the month (payday).

Tomorrow will be prep day, chopping, packaging and freezing various goodies, but no hurry.

I'm really sore right now, but I'm in a great mood knowing I've accomplished everything I needed to.

Addie? Did you make it home yet?

I did. It took us 1.5 hours to shop and we both got everything on my list.

This month I tried to stock up on all cash items. I won't have to buy detergent, bleach, paper towels, and a few other items for about four months. I already had quite a bit of meat left in the freezer from last month. I just don't eat as much in the warm weather. :angel:

I saw something unusual on my way back from the garden centre and it got me wondering...

On the pavement, outside some houses (i.e. not a centre or anything like that) was a discarded pot of exotic fresh flowers - seemingly flung out, since they had come away from their container and oasis. I gathered up some white lillies, cornflowers and greenery to take home but it got me thinking about how they had come to be there. Was it after an occasion (in which case why fling them like that) or, maybe, an occasion that went badly wrong?

Last edited:
ooops.gif
double post - error!
smiley-computer012.gif

Feeling better today so I'm tackling a project that I've been wanting to do for a while. I bought an older Kitchenaid K5ss back in April and its awesome, but we'll used. It's also an almond color with scuffs and just not attractive to look at. I'm painting it with copper spray paint! So far it looks really cool. Tomorrow I'll touch up any missed spots and put a protective clear coat on it. I'm also replacing the cord on it, the original is/was white and has seen better days. I'm pretty excited to see it complete.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Feeling better today so I'm tackling a project that I've been wanting to do for a while. I bought an older Kitchenaid K5ss back in April and its awesome, but we'll used. It's also an almond color with scuffs and just not attractive to look at. I'm painting it with copper spray paint! So far it looks really cool. Tomorrow I'll touch up any missed spots and put a protective clear coat on it. I'm also replacing the cord on it, the original is/was white and has seen better days. I'm pretty excited to see it complete.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

We will need to see the pic when it is all done.

Right now I am cursing Comcast, Windows, Norton, and a few other companies that are living inside my computer. It seems like they have all chosen today to install something they think I can't live without. And they just have to cause a restart. Nothing ever works without a restart. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom